Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Default Re: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    Turns out 4 of them are 41mm, the other 4 are about 35mm. (i dont have anything fancy to measure with other then a tape measure.)

Now, they seem to have 2 of each length on each side, which might cause issues. Looking at your pictures on the previous page Peter, you seem to have 2 different lengths there as well.

Andrew
    Yep. Two pairs of 41mm, two pairs of 36.5. Probably used on opposing sides.

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Update

This afternoon I took my MA70 brakes to my good friends at Western Brake & Steering and handed over the rotors to be machined and have the centre hole enlarge to 67mm.

Before doing that though I sandblasted them of all their rust, as well as the calipers and backing plates, which had a few rust spots here and there.

I disassembled the calipers and popped the pistons out and the brake pad clips. I washed them liberally in brake cleaner before going to do the sandblasting as the oil, brake fluid and grime clogs the sand.

Caliper

It took me about 90 mins to do both sets of rotors, plates and calipers.

Backing Plates

The backing plates were also time consuming and I didn't try to remove all the factory paint. They came up well enough for painting later.

cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 25-09-2017 at 06:12 AM.

So far I've cleaned and painted the backing plates with gloss black, and they came up looking quite good. Yesterday afternoon I put two coats of Septone Brake and Caliper Paint on the calipers and let them dry overnight. I gave them another heavy coat this morning and then re-assembled them after lunch.

The pistons were quite mucky and dirty but showed no signs of scoring or pitting so I cleaned them up with some 1200 W/D and put a small amount of NEO brake fluid on them ready to re-insert.

To put the calipers back together I enlisted the help of some PBR Rubber Grease for the rubber boots and caliper seal, Dynatex Anti Sieze compound on the bolts and bleed valve, and NEO Hi Performance Grease for the shafts that join the outer bracket to the main body of the caliper.

I also put a little NEO Brake Fluid in the chamber to make it easier to slide the piston back in. The NEO brake fluid is good stuff, and well worth the extra cost. I use it mainly in motorsport applications.

Here's the calipers reassembled with the brake pad clips:

Here's a close up of one of the calipers:

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 25-09-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

thankyou to who posted the thing re the liteace cables, i now have them installed on my lux and my conversion is finished, very happy

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    thankyou to who posted the thing re the liteace cables, i now have them installed on my lux and my conversion is finished, very happy

Just send large amounts of cash!

Peter

the only problem on the hilux tho is, as ive discovered with using an ma70 master and booster is that the existing brake lines cant be usred in their original configuration.

with the drum brakes, the brakes are balanced accross the car, ie one part of the MC controls the front right and rear left brakes. With disc brakes however, one side of the MC controls the front, one controls the rear. In a nutshell, the hilux lines need to be re-configured and ill let you know if they need to be replaced.

ill keep you all posted.

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    the only problem on the hilux tho is, as ive discovered with using an ma70 master and booster is that the existing brake lines cant be usred in their original configuration.

with the drum brakes, the brakes are balanced accross the car, ie one part of the MC controls the front right and rear left brakes. With disc brakes however, one side of the MC controls the front, one controls the rear. In a nutshell, the hilux lines need to be re-configured and ill let you know if they need to be replaced.

ill keep you all posted.

Blake
    Any reason why you didn't just keep your Hilux MC and booster? Are you referring to the MA70 master and booster in the second paragraph or the Hilux setup?

Keep us informed. I've still got to source another Liteace h/brake cable. There are no more usable Liteaces at Pick 'n' Payless.

PS. Good to hear that you finished your conversion Robbo.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus
    Any reason why you didn't just keep your Hilux MC and booster? Are you referring to the MA70 master and booster in the second paragraph or the Hilux setup?

Keep us informed. I've still got to source another Liteace h/brake cable. There are no more usable Liteaces at Pick 'n' Payless.

PS. Good to hear that you finished your conversion Robbo.

Cheers,

Peter
    you cant use a drum brake MC with disc brakes...with the drums, they are balanced weirdly - toyota obviously did this for some reason...theres one line from the MC that controls one rear and one front. with discs, you need the lines for the front and rear seperate. well this is what ive found with the 5 4 wheel disc cars we have at home anyway, so i think its fair to say its common practice. A friend of mine did vice versa and his rears kept locking up..Not to mention the hilux booster is that fugly gold colour - ma70 is black and an all alloy mc which is easy to use/ bleed. the hilux one has that terrible little elbow where the fluid goes for the fronts, and it gets air bubbles in it when left dry, which are a PITA to get out. The ma70 booster fits with a little persuasion too

i was referring to both - ie the hilux controls the balanced brakes, the supra controls front vs rear seperately.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Celica with drums controls F and R separately

Good to hear all these things coming outta the woodwork, gonna make the Hilux/MA70 Disc LSD conversion on my RA23 a bit easiers. +Rep to those contributing. GT... wheres me calliper mounts mate??

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Celica with drums controls F and R separately

Good to hear all these things coming outta the woodwork, gonna make the Hilux/MA70 Disc LSD conversion on my RA23 a bit easiers. +Rep to those contributing. GT... wheres me calliper mounts mate??

Cheers, Owen
    owen, the brackets are easy as piss to make if you make a template....get a large chunk of 10mm oe larger steel plate, make a cardboard templayte and use an oxy and or grinder to make your bracket shape, but you need an accurate drill for the drilling.

yeah its weird hoqw the hilux is balanced...ur lucky with the 23 having existing lines that are correct - makes it a lot easier

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

I'll have to have a look at mine, but I thought the rear brakes were a single line back to the slave cylinder (load sensing) then Ts after there to each rear brake. That would mean it's front/rear balanced, or perhaps front left, front right, both rear.
    I'm intreaged, I think I'll go look at this right now.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Ok. This is how the lines run on my RN85R:
    Master feeds the front from the back of the cylinder which then Ts to each front brake and a line to the rear slave cylinder (load sensing).
    The rear brake is a single line from the front of the master to the slave cylinder and a line from the rear master feed to the slave cylinder, then Ts to each rear brake.
    Last edited by 1JZ~lux; 24-01-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: fixing miss-information
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ~lux
    Ok. This is how the lines run on my RN85R:
    Master feeds the front from the back of the cylinder which then Ts to each front brake.
    The rear brake is a single line from the front of the master to the slave cylinder (load sensing) then Ts to each rear brake.
    Does this mean I've just spent $100 on an MA70 Master Cylinder and Booster when I didn't have to?

Peter

Time for an update:

I went out to Northern Auto Wreckers (#557 The Northern Road, Londonderry) after ringing them to confirm they had some LiteAce vans in the yard. These guys also had a smaller yard on the Great Western Highway just around the corner from my place so I was well versed in how they do business. Sometimes they are cheap; other times their prices made me scratch my head (even moreso than P'n'P).

It's a big yard, much bigger than Pick'n'Payless and not as picked over, if you've ever been to P'n'P you'll know what I mean.

I had rung several Toyota commercial wreckers looking for another LiteAce passenger side handbrake cable and came up empty. Pick 'n' Payless had no new stock nor were they likely to in the near future so I was getting a little edgey (with rego coming up soon).

Turns out they had several vans of 1989 - 1990 vintage so out I went - about a 75 km round trip. When I got there the guy drove me to where the vans where at a far corner of the yard and I pulled a cable without too much trouble. It had been raining but I always take my 'prayer mat' with me for getting under cars.

Back at the office (I walked back looking at the utes on the way but nothing of interest there) I enquired as to the price. I laughed when he said "$60" but I saw his face didn't respond so I said, "You're kidding me, aren't you?" "How much do you want to pay?" he asked, a certain greyness descending on his visage. I told him I got my last one for $20 at P'n'P. To cut an icy situation short I settled for $40 and got the hell out of there. I've rationalised it since I got the first one for zip, so $40 for the pair isn't too bad I guess.

I've also located an MA70 master cylinder and booster courtesy of another Toymodder so that should arrive later this week. given the above post I may not have to use it but it's worth having anyway, just in case.

Tomorrow I'll ring Western Brake and Steering to see how my rotors are coming along.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 25-09-2017 at 06:18 AM.