Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Default Re: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

No circlip that I recall on the MA70 hubs. Once you push the two studs out the plate sort of ends up floating on the hub........if that makes sense.

Your not going to keep the MA7 parts I guess so you could be a bit brutal getting it apart, without hitting the backing plate.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ONCE-NA's Avatar

Not sure if anyone els has had a problem but the brackets I got ages ago I have finally gotten around to using and they don't seem to fit very well. The holes are larger than the axle retaining studs and also the centres of the holes don't match the centres of the studs. so they will fit on but move around a bit. The same for the holes that mount the caliper to the bracket.

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ONCE-NA
    Not sure if anyone els has had a problem but the brackets I got ages ago I have finally gotten around to using and they don't seem to fit very well. The holes are larger than the axle retaining studs and also the centres of the holes don't match the centres of the studs. so they will fit on but move around a bit. The same for the holes that mount the caliper to the bracket.
    they will be fine if you just do the bolts up tight, just think of it as a little adjustment for you to play with.

Cheers,

Peter.
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

Yeah I was kinda worried they may move under braking torque though... and would it pass engineering?

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

i can only assume that engineering isn't a problem considering how many other people have completed this setup.... anyone else answer this???
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

I have successfully engineered my whole car. But my engineer may be a little lienient...

I would say that the small amount of movement shouldnt be an issue as i think you'll find alot of components have that very small amount of movement...
    With a tight enough bolt, with measure to ensure it does not loosen, i think you'll be okay...

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Has anyone fitted the R33 Rear Calipers to the MA70 Rear Brakes? I am about to do this on my Hiace, but bumping heads together always helps.
    Cheers.

Here are some Disc measurements for R33 and MA70 respectively:
    Diameter - 297mm/291mm
    Original thickness - 18mm/18mm
    Minimum thickness - 16mm/17mm
    Original height - 63mm/68.5mm (when laid flat on ground)

Judging from these specs, the R33 Caliper "should be" a perfect match for the MA70 Discs.

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

The differences in diameter and original height (do you mean hat height?) may mean having to make a new adaptor bracket.

On the note of the bracket holes, as everyone else has said if you torque it up correctly you won't get any movement and it'll pass. The problem I have with the brackets is that I was told by my old QLD engineer that any brackets or spacers need to be solid (one piece). I may have misinterpreted what he said though.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

[QUOTE=1JZ~lux]The differences in diameter and original height (do you mean hat height?) may mean having to make a new adaptor bracket.

Yes, hat height is what I meant. A new adaptor bracket will have to be made, but that's quite simple. I am only looking at fitting the R33 Caliper to the MA70 Disc on the Hiace Diff.

Forum Member

Excellent thread thanks to everyone this has helped a heap!!

I have got a hilux diff about to start a disc brake conversion, but i have got some r31 callipers and rotors which are 4stud which i can redrill but if the the ma70 disc are already 5 stud might just use them.
    anyone used r31 callipers?? if so what rotors did you use??
    and the brackets mentioned on about page 6 or something will they fit the r31 callipers as well as the supra ones??
    cheers guys any help be great..
    barney

Is this diagram defiantly correct? The handbrake cable comes in from which side in this pic?
    I'm finally trying to reassemble mine after probably a year in pieces and it doesn't seem to sit right, in particular the bent pin seems too long and scrapes the back of the axle flange (where the wheel bolts on) And I don't have a white spring, it is black instead.

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

The cable is coming in from the left hand side in that pic. You can tell as the tensioner spring and piece that slots into the arm the hand brake cable pulls on at the top of the picture are on the right (black spring that is quite flat and oval shaped is on opposite side to the arm behind the shoe on the right).

So the pin with the 'U' in it is on the shoe on the right. Th only spring not in the picture is the yellow spring that holds the bottom of the shoes together. It sits behind the adjuster barrel thing.

Hope that is helpful!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic bigmat's Avatar

i hated putting these things together fckn sucked. i have empathy for ya but well worth the hassels.

mat

So if the diagram is of the drivers side then on the MA70 the handrake cable comes in from the rear? (of the car) I've got it so they come forward on the hilux diff, this shouldn't be a problem should it?