Thread: Recipe: S13 coilovers into AE86 (or RWD Celica, Corona, maybe more)

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Recipe: S13 coilovers into AE86 (or RWD Celica, Corona, maybe more)

This thread follows from previous discussion about this susp setup here

Now it's all fitted properly and ready to roll. The recipe is as follows, with other options outlined too.

LCAs
    I used MX62 LCAs, they need a few mods as shown below:

1 - Cut off the lock stops. Lock is still limited by the tierod hitting the LCA. But it doesn't invert at full travel
    2 - Slot one of the castor rod holes a couple of mm. This took half an hour with the world's crappest hand file, so it isn't a big job.
    3 - Drill a new swaybar mount. 15mm hole. Easy.

Also note that AE86 inner bushes fit, so you can get good urethane ones. Also the standard balljoint is a BJ314 which is a good fit for the S13 hubs. The arms are 60mm longer than AE86 arms.

Othe LCA options:
    - S13. Needs new castor rod holes. Enlarging crossmember mount hole, or new crush tubes. 50mm longer than AE86 arms.
    - S14. As above. A little longer again. Balljoint suits S14 hub, NOT S13.
    - Sigma. S13 balljoint MAY press into a sigma arm. Unsure if this will work though.
    - JZX81. No further details
    - MX73, MX83 ?? Maybe...

Rack ends
    Used RA60 rack ends (Repco part# RP706). Overall 20mm longer than AE86 rack ends. Balljoint sits about 10mm further inboard than AE86 rack end.

Tie rods
    Bluebird TRX (local model) tie rods (Repco part# RP560L and RP560R). These have a slight kink in them. I don't think it matter which side they are mounted though. They won't foul anything.

Other rack end/tie rod options:
    - S13 rack ends and tie rods. Drill and tap the end of the rack to suit the S13 rack end thread.
    - MX83 rack ends and S15 tie rods. Apparently Sprinter-saurus runs this successfully (from Evo's suggestions below). Sound like they turn out a little on the short side though.
    - AW11 rack end and S13 tie rod end. Sounds perfect.

Other bits
    S13 hubs, S13 SR calipers and discs, S13 rubber lines from caliper, S13 coilovers, AE86 camber tops.

Fitting it all together
    Once you have all the parts it if very simple to put together. I did it in an afternoon, and spent a fair bit of that time wandering around looking for parts I put away months ago. You'll have to loosen off the castor rod bushes to get it attached to the LCA. The castor rod will now point a bit further outboard. I wound castor out to the minimum possible, this still looks like a lot.

LCA balljoint fits the S13 hub well, I had to belt them with a hammer to seperate them again. Tie rod is not a perfect fit in the steerng arm, close, but I'm not 100% happy. Still, it needs a hammer to seperate them. There is heaps of overlap between rack end and tie rod.

Some minor work was needed to fit the strut tops to the coilovers. Hard to explain. Obvious when you're looking at the bits. Don't let this stop you.

S13 rubber lines reach and fit the ends of the factory AE86 hard lines inside the guards.

Under the guards look like this:

End result
    With the camber adjustment on the coilover at max positive, the strut tops wound out to max positive and a set of 15 by 6, +24 wheels in 195/50 tyres, the setup looks like this:

Wheels are basically perfectly flush with the guards. I'd guess about 2deg neg camber. Track increase of around 50mm a side. More details will follow once I get a non-backyard alignment.

EDIT - Alignment details are:
    Camber = -3deg with strut tops in about factory location
    Castor = +4.5 deg with stock castor rods wound out as long as possible
    Thanks to Tyre Solution, 468 Burwood rd, Hawthorn, 9819 9444.

Hen
    Last edited by Hen; 11-08-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Extra info from subsequent posts
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Default Re: Recipe: S13 coilovers into AE86 (or RWD Celica, Corona, maybe more)

Nice work Hen. Very interested to see how your bump steer and just the general geometry holds up as a few critical changes there.

I'm doing similar with an AE86 front end grafted into a KE10 with S13 coilovers....still undecided as to whether i'll go with the S13 knuckle or just mod the AE86 setup to take the coilover....pro's and con's with both approaches.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

ooooooo benjamin you finally joined the s13 front club

you can also use r32 front lines i used a set of earls braided lines fits perfect!

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

finally someone agrees with me on the tie rod ends, i dont find the bluebird ones fit very well at all into the s13 spindles, but noones reported a problem so far that i know of.

Justen - Im probably not the person to ask about the subtle changes this introduces into handling. My car had pretty serious bump steer beforehand. And I'm a drifter, so the finer points of handling are lost on me

Also Evo, I'm looking for something better than Bluebird rods, so let me know if you have any suggestions.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Top stuff, I'll be referring to this thread when I get around to upgrading my RA23.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

ben just run s13 tie rods and tie rod ends theres heaps of aftermarket gear for s13 around i got a set of d project harden/high tensile / stong basteds tie rods with spaces inbuilt and rose jointed tie rod ends for like 200-300 nothing beats it

the only drama was re-taping the rack all of a 15min job oh and i had to get the tap orded in it's some type of strange size something like 16x1.00m strange as i'll even lend you it to give you more insentive to do it rose joints FTW

A point i seemed to have missed in all these S13 threads is why? I'm guessing the logic is easier access to coilovers and brakes upgrades?

Was under the KE again this arvo after dummy fitting the 3SGTE and not sure that the effort for the S13 gear is worth the risk of weird handling. I'm having to custom fabricate alot of gear as it, so fitting the S13 coilovers to the AE86 hubs is not much extra work. The Mazda 4 spots with 296mm Patrol discs is a proven winner and at least as good as S13 brakes so just curious as to others reasoning as to why?
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

i am yet to do the conversion but from all those that have done it one of the main advantages is extra lock, obviously a big deal for the drifters. and obviously the advantage of going s13 is also the better brakes which you can bolt on upgrade to 4 piston calipers from z32, r33, s14 etc and cheap aqnd easy s13 coilies.

hen, sprinter saurus has this upgrade in his car, he is running mx83 inner rack ends with s15 tie rods. is a nice fit.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I'd love to see someone take bump steer measurements when doing this conversion.

If anyone does go ahead with the swap and is willing to take measurements let me know. I can explain how to if that would help also.

Cheers
    Joel

(logged on at mates house.. should be turbora28).

Reasons I did this conversion:
    1 - Extra lock
    2 - Extra track
    3 - Ease of brake upgrades
    4 - Reduced weight
    5 - Availability of coilovers
    6 - Thorpey told me it was fooli s1k.

Hen

Hmm right'O

extra lock won't be an issue for the KE
    extra track is going to be bad as i'm struggling with the AE86 setup
    brakes would be nice but covered
    reduced weight? can't see that, especially with the R33 brakes?
    coilover i can see but have figured a way to easily modify
    Thorpey is ghey

Thanks Hen, nicely listed and makes the cons outweigh the pros for me
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Added new rack end and tie rod combo. AW11 and S13.

Hen

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    Added new rack end and tie rod combo. AW11 and S13.

Hen
    thats what ive fitted to every one that ive been asked to setup.
    cheers
    linden