Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free to good home section

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Default Free to good home section

Does anybody else think it's a good idea to restrict viewing of this section to members with a certain amount of rep? If that's even possible?

Most of the threads I seem to look at in there have what basically are leechers trying to score free parts off us.. typically have only 10 - 20 posts at max, no rep, and all the posts they have made are trying to get parts. Just recently someone was giving away a motor which someone (one of these leechers) nabbed for free and is now trying to sell on another forum for their own profit.

Don't get me wrong I think the section is a great idea and I have used it to try and give parts away that I'd have liked to see go to someone who would have good use for them, but again most of the people who replied had contributed very little to the forum.. and the ones who did want my parts expected me to go out of my way to deliver the parts to them or never showed up to pick them up after I made a point to be home at a certain time for them. I'd be much more content giving something to someone who contributes to the forum/club rather than just using it to get cheap/free parts.
    I am the sun

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: Free to good home section

Hi,

Good point, sunshine.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Drift barge master Backyard Mechanic orestes's Avatar

Giveaway, and mates rates sections are like this on most forums I'm on, even well established members will participate in such activities, restricting these sections to more established members would do a little to resolve the issue, but it wouldn't solve the issue entirely. Asides from that rep points are that easy to get it's not funny. I have 70+ rep points and I haven't really contributed much to the forums.

It's a good idea in theory though
    MZ-10/GZ-10 hybrid turbo rolling shell, RB30 powered
    IS200 - 1GFE

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

People could always give it a week before giving away said item and then choose who they get along with the best

I find most people that are giving stuff away are doing it because they just dont want to pay for a trailor/towie to get rid of the bigger stuff. These people are probably just happy to have anyone interested at all.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I wonder what rollin would think of this LOL

No seriously good idea, would stop things like that happening

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

It is a good idea in some way, but in others it isn't. i am new to the forum and am always willing to try and help but i don't know many people. i read most forums and put in my help if i can, but people don't always give you rep points for helping.

by making rep points a contributing factor then it restricts newbies who are trying to make a good start from people who are able to help them.

Cheers Bengi

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

remember we all started out with no rep. you'll build up rep pretty quick if your participating.

im in favour of hiding the section to low say <50 rep users and low post count users.. which i guess is the same bucket.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Most stuff I give away (only one of which was on this forum) I give away because if someone doens't take then it'll be going to the tip.

What the person I give it to does with it after that is their business and doesn't bother me.

I can see how it would annoy some people though if they thought they were helping out a fellow car enthusiast only to find out they were reselling the item for profit$.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Anyway, I'm a member of Ausrotary which is the biggest group of profiteering so-and-so's you're ever likely to meet. Buying up rare items whenever they find someone desparate for money, or who doesn't know what they've got.. then readvertising them shortly after for an exorbitant price and sitting on them for months/years until they sell.

This idea is good in theory... but what if you're a new member with low rep wanting to put some stuff up for others to benefit from?
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

well.. who you give your parts to is up to you...
    so you can choose who the recipient is, and if you are worried, a quick background check should help...
    getting stuff for free to sell again is a bit lame, but if it was given away to help an enthusiast.. better to check how enthusiastic they are first
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

It wasn't the point about who the parts ultimately go to, as I'm sure most people do choose who they want to give them to.. it's more that it might be better to restrict viewing to wookies all together, giving them either more incentive to actually contribute a little or less reason to hang around and waste people's time
    I am the sun

Or you could just have a time limit on how long they have to be a reg'd member before they can view it. I dont make many posts here, but I read alot, making me a noob? If theres something I need in the free to good home section, then great. but Im also giving away stuff there (as its just taking up room, and will go to the tip otherwise)

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I think it should be self policing. If I have something to give away and someone PMs me, then refuses to call and organises everything over the net, then there is no chance I'll go out of my way to give them some parts.

However if someone rings me, sounds friendly, genuine and even halfway polite then I'd happily help them out.

It's pretty easy to pick a nuffy.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

maybe all give-away threads should include a suggestion that persons getting the free stuff to do some work (e.g. collect it themselves)? It's a test of someone who's keen for the goods and willing to get off their arse to get it.

this would obviously exclude interstate stuff .. but fwiw, i wont give anything away unless collected and i'll collect free stuff in person not by post.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I generally figure if you're giving something away then you don't want it any more. For me that's how it would work if I were to advertise to give something away. I give plenty of stuff to other club members for use in their cars and if they decided to sell them I'd give them a lot of shit but really once I give it away it's theirs.

I think the trying to sell free stuff for a bunch of money issue would be self policed reasonably well. For an example take a look at a particular RA25 that was bought for $200 then advertised not too long afterwards for several thousand dollars.