Thread: JZA70 R Fuel Gauge Question

Question JZA70 R Fuel Gauge Question

Hey guys,

My jza70 r is yet to be complied so I can't drive it on the road yet, however I have noticed that even when off the fuel gauge shows half full. When i turn the car to on or start the engine the gauge doesn't seem to move at all.

Should it be like this or when I fill the tank to take it too the workshop will the problem then identify/rectify itself?

Cheers,

Jake

Junior Member Carport Converter

Default Re: JZA70 R Fuel Gauge Question

Quote Originally Posted by boris
    Hey guys,

My jza70 r is yet to be complied so I can't drive it on the road yet, however I have noticed that even when off the fuel gauge shows half full. When i turn the car to on or start the engine the gauge doesn't seem to move at all.

Should it be like this or when I fill the tank to take it too the workshop will the problem then identify/rectify itself?

Cheers,

Jake
    I had this problem in my old GA70 .. The fuel gauge would never go over half no matter how full the car was. In the boot of the car there is a metal plate held down by two screws, under that is a float/spring assembly. This is what measures how full or empty the tank is. It is likely stuck or has moved.

I never buggered around with it as over time I figured out the pattern of the gauge and when it went under half full it started to go down, however for yourself showing full all the time is a bit of a concern and I'd want it fixed.

Here is a link to how it is fixed, but be careful as the site says!!

http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=47

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Do you mean that you think the gauge is correct (ie there is actually half a tank of fuel in there), you're just worried the gauge doesn't drop to zero when you turn the car off?

If this is the case, i wouldn't worry about it; my fuel gauge isn't switched via ignition, i'm sure a lot of other cars are like this too? I thought all cars ran the fuel gauge like this actually...

If it's a different problem, like the gauge reading erractically or not working that's worth fixing; it won't seem like much to just learn its idiosyncrasies, until it catches you out and leaves you stranded somewhere remote
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Well I have no idea how much fuel is in there. But the gauge reads half full regardless of whether the car is on or off. So i'll wait till I fill it up tomorrow morning on the way to get the compliance work down and see what happens.

Junior Member Carport Converter

Quote Originally Posted by boris
    Well I have no idea how much fuel is in there. But the gauge reads half full regardless of whether the car is on or off. So i'll wait till I fill it up tomorrow morning on the way to get the compliance work down and see what happens.
    This part is right boris, the Surpa fuel gauge keeps its level regardless of whether the ignition is on or off. Sorry I thought you were saying it stayed at that level regardless of how much fuel was in it.

But yes fill it up and drive around for a bit and you will know if it works or not

Cheers guys, rep all round.