Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide: Coilover Conversion

Who da F%^k is Takumi?? Backyard Mechanic 45aken's Avatar

Arrow Guide: Coilover Conversion

Due to a lot of questions being brought up about coilovers, I’ve decided to create this guide. i just converted my struts to short stroke coilovers, and it was one of the best things I’ve done to the sprinter. I’m using some photo’s from the club 4ag website, which I’m insure if I’m allowed to use, so Mods please tell me.

Pro's:
    1) height adjustability
    2) interchange spring rates with relative ease
    3) short stroke shock (wont loose travel)
    4) pretension adjustments etc

Con's
    1) cost
    2) ...

OK basically this diagram will help out a lot of people with the whole 'short stroke concept'

Items needed:
    • Shock
    • Coilover Sleeve Kit
    • Coilover style spring (63mm and 65mm ID are the most common)

with the front shock, i chose a celica ST204 KYB AGX shock, which is 70mm shorter than the ae86 standard.
    I bought a Noltec coilover sleeve kit, which come with the threaded sleeve, 63mm spring seat, lock ring (which is also a spring seat for 65mm dia), top hat and adjustment spanners. used some 7kg apexi springs i had lying around.

step 1) Removal of struts.
    to remove your standard struts from your ae86, first jack the car up and use some stands.
    now this is the procedure:
    1. remove wheel
    2. remove the two 17mm bolts at the bottom of the strut. i'll get photo's of this soon
    3. remove the two bolts which hold the brake caliper on and remove the caliper.
    4. open the bonnet and remove the 3 nuts holding the strut's at the top.
    5. i used a bar sitting on the sway and the body then pushed down to pry the bottom mount so i could get the strut out.
    6. repeat for the other side

you can continue stripping the strut by removing the 'cap' in the middle of the rotor, removing the split pin and the 23(?)mm nut. this will allow you to take off the rotor and bearings etc.

now that you have the struts out, you can begin to disassemble them. here's how:
    1. clamp the springs down with a spring compressor
    2. remove the bolt in the middle of the strut top (bearing plate or whatever you want to call it)
    3. remove the spring
    4. remove the large nut that hold the shock into the strut (i used a vice).
    5. remove the shock, if its an after market insert, just pull it out. if its still the stock shock, take it out very carefully as there is pressure inside!

Now you are left with an empty strut, which needs the spring seat removed. I used a vice and an angle grinder, some people use a lathe or a cutting torch. it doesn’t really matter what you use, as this is where the cut will be made to shorten the strut.

Once you finished grinding, it should look something like this.

Now it’s time to shorten the strut. Remember that however much you cut out of the strut, you car will now be lowered this much. Since my shock is 70mm shorter that the standard shock, I chose to cut out 50mm of strut and then use a 20mm spacer. Once you have decided how much you want to, and marked it out, cut the strut using a drop saw (or take it to any exhaust or fab shop to get it cut). Remember to cut so that you still retain the thread on the top of the strut, as it is hard to rethread this. (make the cut so that it removes the old spring seat).

Once you have made the cut, it is time to weld the 2 pieces back together. I got mine TIG welded at a local fab shop. This weld required no grinding to make it flush with the strut.

Because I used an alloy sleeve, I had to make a ‘ring’ out of some steel pipe that was also welded to the strut so that the sleeve could sit on it. (alloy does not weld to steel very well).

Now that you have the shortened strut, it is time to reassemble the suspension.

1. Sand off paint etc (the 51mm ID sleeve has to go over a 50.8mm ID strut)
    2. ”Slide” the sleeve onto the strut (it wont be easy, mine was a real press fit, if it is not going to happen, throw the strut in the freezer and the tube in the oven at say 60 deg)
    3. Screw the spring seat and lock nut onto the thread
    4. Put the spacer in the strut, put the shock in the strut and screw the shock retaining screw down tight.
    5. Sit the spring onto the seat, but the top hat on top of the spring (mine required drilling to get it to fit over the thread at the top of the shock)
    6. put the strut top (bearing plate) on, and use the new bolt you got with the shock to tighten it down (this requires a vice grip or similar to sto the shock from turning while you screw the bolt on)
    7. Repeat on other side.

This is what you should have:

Now throw the back in your car coilovers in your car, adjust them to the height you want, remember to LOCK THE LOCK NUT, and then go and reap the rewards of a race coilover setup!

PS. I don’t take any responsibility for whatever anyone does to their car after reading this guide. After all, this is just a guide. There is a lot of people out there with different ideas regarding what to use (steel sleeves etc), I’m not saying that this is the perfect way to do this (everyone has their own idea) I’m just showing you what worked for me. (this suspension has been checked by an automotive engineer and made by me (an engineer).

The total cost for this project was around $600 including the coilover kit and a pair or AGX shocks (I had the springs), this is not retail price either.

Hope this helps.

(im at work now, i'll update this if anyone notices i forgot anything)
    Last edited by 45aken; 18-01-2006 at 11:42 AM.
    AE86 - coming soon to a quiet mountain pass near you...
    WRX - currently epa'd...

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: Guide: Coilover Conversion

I've only got one problem with your guide so far......

When you go to remove the factory strut from the car, it is actually a VERY GOOD IDEA to loosen (not completely undo) the nut in the middle of the strut top when the car is resting on the ground.

I've found on a number of occasions that the bastard strut top nut simply wont farken undo with the strut out of the car, especially if you have non-captive springs. You try to undo it, but the shock arm just spins with your attempts to undo it

This is the point where you abuse Mr Toyoda for using nylon lock nuts over the next 2 hours whilst you bolt the struts back in....

It's about 100000% easier to undo those nuts when the weight of the car is resting on the suspension (ie car on the ground)
    ...... butt scratcher?!

no worries, chief. we had that problem. so we just pulled out vice grips and then we lost the vice grips so we had to use the super dodgey pilers and a vice method

but yeah, you method makes alot of sense.
    WRX - currently epa'd...

apprentice pwnerer Grease Monkey phrostbyte's Avatar

A rattle gun takes that top of strut nut out in one quick movement. Something to do with the sudden torque a rattle gun gives off and the nut takes the torque before the shock body has time to move.

Anyway a very nice guide, rep+ to you sir

Kev.
    RIP Kev. You'll be missed.

Old worklog of the last 2 KE70s (long since updated): http://ke70.theicy.net/
    Current AE71 4AGE Daily Driver (Soon to undergo AE86 front end and rear bumper!!: [COLOR=Blue][url]http://www.toymods.net

Junior Member Domestic Engineer psychofox's Avatar

For the springs, what is the free (uncompressed) height of them. I'm just about to do the conversion myself and was interested in finding out what others ahve done.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psychofox
    For the springs, what is the free (uncompressed) height of them. I'm just about to do the conversion myself and was interested in finding out what others ahve done.
    What car?
    What spring rate?
    What insert and how long is it and its travel?
    How much are you shortening the strut?
    What ride height are you after?

I spent a few days working out this kinda stuff for my RA28 conversion... its not quite as easy as the guide above makes it out to be.

mate im not too sure, but i'll take a ball park guess and say 180mm would be the way to go. just measure the stroke length of the shock(top of the body to the bottom of the top hat), and then add the distance from about 3/4 the way up the sleeve (so you have a good height adjustment). this will give you a rough measurement of the spring size you require. i'll measure mine tonight though.

yes rattle guns work very very very good, but i just didnt have one. thanks for the rep
    WRX - currently epa'd...

nearly forgot people. i used the noltec kit with the RAISED TOP HAT. this has it's advantages and disadvantages though. it acts like a normal top hat but it is raised at the top to act like a spacer between your bearing plate and the tophat. this allows you to run excessive camber without the tophat fouling on the plate, but it raises the car by about 1" (but thats why you have height adjustment )
    WRX - currently epa'd...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

can i have pics of the noltec spring hat?

not really because there on my car right now, but this might give you a better idea:

it's the same price too.
    WRX - currently epa'd...

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

this thread is awesome btw

MWP, did you end up working everything out for the RA28? I want to do something similar with mine, but using an XT130 or RT132 strut (for brake upgrade reasons)..... but of course ive never sat down and measured / worked things out properly
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Witzl<- no worries, i've always though toymods needed something like this, so i did it. it's a shame i didnt have my camera when we were actullay doing it to get some more detail.
    WRX - currently epa'd...

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    MWP, did you end up working everything out for the RA28? I want to do something similar with mine, but using an XT130 or RT132 strut (for brake upgrade reasons)..... but of course ive never sat down and measured / worked things out properly
    I did, but so far nothing is tested and as im currently OS (Canada).

A couple of photos of it all (almost) setup:
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/...0and%20Springs

Ill get the coilover sleeve welded up when ive got an engine, etc in the car so i can work out the ride height and adjustement i want.

The list of gear in those photos:
    MS65 Hubs
    RT132 Struts
    LN106 Calipers
    Caliper Rebuild Kit
    Pug 604 Disks + Machining + Slotting + Redrilled
    Noltec Coilover Kit
    Koni Yellow Inserts & Koni Racing Bumpstops
    King Springs + Spring Spacers
    Whiteline Tender Coils
    Greenstuff Front Brake Pads
    T3 Adj Camber Tops

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

My little tip for removing the bolts that attach the bottom of the strut to the steering arms - turn the steering wheel to find the position for each bolt where it is easy to access. Didn't occur to me the first time I removed struts.

if you go onto full lock when removing the nuts then it's much easier, or just get a mate to hold the wheel. i pulled air at the front of my car last night and the coilover's held up, if thats any intication of strength.
    WRX - currently epa'd...