Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan r33/GTR and rx7 brake upgrade.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer J0RD0's Avatar

Default Nissan r33/GTR and rx7 brake upgrade.

Hi guys i just like to try and compile some information about the r33gts-t/GTR and RX7 brake upgrade for the early celica's and corolla's

As some of you are aware i am putting together the evorolla and i was heading down the s13 suspension with r33 brake setup. Its main advantage is its easy and cheap but there are a few downsides to it also such as wider track super ridiculously low and not too many options for aftermarket steering/suspension parts.

Ive been searching the hell out of the web recently and found a few people have done the same brake upgrade but differently using the corona struts allowing for a wider range of aftermarket parts from T3 which is what im after.

Alot of people do the pug/lux/rona upgrade and few have done the rx7 upgrade, i have had the pug/lux/rona upgrade which was in the celica and it did the job but im wanting something a bit more serious as the corolla will be used for a bit of track work. Both the rx7 and pug/lux/rona upgrades use around 280mm rotors and im after something close to 300mm or bigger. I might add that im going 5 stud front as the rear is already 5 stud (lux diff)

TA22 1MZ i have noticed you were doing an mx73 strut and using BA rotors and r33 calipers with mx62 lca's but in the beginning of your member's thread you have listed 300mm patrol rotors with rx7 calipers. Could you please share a bit more info on what parts you used for both conversions any pics, any modification to any of the parts?, overall outcome?

Ive pm'd timbosaurus and bigmat to see if they could add a bit of info on their upgrades aswell. Any info anyone else has done would be very appreciative.

Thanks
    RA23 1JZ VVTi 373hp - SOLD
    12.4 @ 110mph
    THE EVOROLLA 262.9hp - SOLD
    JZ parts facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841910926804/

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cri_ag's Avatar

Default Re: Nissan r33/GTR and rx7 brake upgrade.

4agte Sprinter - 11.7 @118mph WSID
    2.45 @ mount panorama
    1.56 @ eastern creek, 1.10 @ wakefield
    1.24 @ oran park GP
    2.00 @ Phillip Island

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TA22 1MZ's Avatar

Alrighty, the Patrol rotors and RX7 4 spot calipers brake setup wasnt a bolt up package and required custom brackets, spacers, etc...
    I chose to go down the BA Falcon Rotor & R33 4 spot caliper path for a few reasons. There are a heap of parts available and very cheap. Plenty of high performance brake pads, rotors available for a good price. And it has been done plenty of times before.
    I chose to use the MX73 strut because of Techno Toy Tuning's abiltity to support steering & suspension components that would suit my requirements.
    So basically, I have MX73 struts cut down to suit KYB AGX SW20 MR2 rear shocks, R33 4 spot calipers and BA Falcon cross drilled and slotted rotors. I have gone with T3 adjustable strut tops and weld on coilovers to suit.
    Now, matching all of this to steering and suspension components will depend on each persons wants/needs.
    I am using a AE86 power steering cross member and rack setup.
    If my memory serves me correctly, the MX73 standard steering arms will suit the early Celica and KE70 tie rod ends. And using the MX73 LCA's will give you around neg 1 degree of camber.
    I did try to use some MX62 LCA's which are very long and resulted in excessive neg camber and steering geometry which would of incurred huge bump steer.
    My car is purely a track car (whenever I finally get it going again ), so I went to Gabe at T3 to source a bulletproof setup steering setup.
    He suppied me with very thick billet AE86 power steer steering arms which were drilled to suit the MX73 bolt pattern. He also supplied fully adjustable LCA's with ball joints to suit the billet steering arms, along with very solid heim joint tie rod ends.
    I'll get some pics of all the parts or you can check out T3's website.
    With the above setup and complete adjustability, I will be able to adjust camber from neg 1 through to neg 5 or 6.
    Any other questions, please ask.
    Sure there is plenty I have left out.

did the calipers and rotors go on without any trouble? What did you do to go 5 stud? i believe the mx73 is 4 stud yeah?
    12.4 @ 110mph

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic TA22 1MZ's Avatar

good call mate.
    Yeap, sourced MS65 hubs to convert to 5 stud.
    Calipers and rotors all go together very nicely. Just need a hub ring to locate the rotor on the hub.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Ok. these are my setups on the Supra and the Sprinter:

Supra: MX83 front end, rack ends, LCA, steering arms, struts. T3 MX83 RCAs. BA falcon rotors and R33 calipers

All of that is quite easy to do, means you do run wider track at the front though, which necessitates +35ish offset wheels at minimum. +50s fit as well.
    You can do that as well with the RA60/65, MA61 or MX73 struts. They all have the same bolt spacing and backspacing on the caliper mount.

Sprinter: AE86 LCA and power steering arms, AE86 offset RCAs, RA28 struts and hubs. FD RX7 calipers and MPV (280x28mm) discs with custom caliper bridges and bracket, and a 25mm spacer:

Thats realistically one of the biggest brake setups you can get under a 15" wheel. Im limited to 15" for class regulations too. The bracket is relatively easy, but it does push the caliper quite a way forwards in the wheel, so you need either a spacer or a wheel with LOTS of caliper clearance. I chose to go with a +24 nissan offset wheel and spacers.

The other one which ive had involvement with is this:

RA28 struts, inverted bilstein monotube dampers, R33 calipers and discs.
    However this requires a massive amount of backspacing on the caliper bracket. To the point that if you are making it from anything other than a solid lump of billet it would look like this:

And be bloody dangerous.

In my eyes you need to machine the whole thing up from a sold lump of steel, which is what Joel has had done on his by Linden.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Takai, I'm curious about the last setup you posted (RA28 strut with R33 calipers and discs). The offset shown by the caliper looks way different to what Sheepers needed to fit his GTR discs and calipers, don't have an assembled picture do you?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepers View Post
    front brakes are finished. still need new flexi hoses and that but the brackets are done and it all bolts up. got crown hubs, GTR disks and GTR calipers.

i found that with the GTR disk sitting on the crown hub the caliper needed to be 4mm away from the factory bracket.
    i welded a scrap bit of metal on first so i could get the holes in exactly the right place, i had to slot the holes a bit and fuck around with getting the caliper sitting in exactly the right place but once id done this i welded the final piece of 4mm plate on the other side and transferred the holes through. then i cut the scrap off. simple once its done. i welded another bit of 4mm plate into the gap on the other side so it was a bit stronger, then i just transferred the holes from left to right.
    i also found that the brackets will swap from left to right so i can put the calipers on the front of the disk or the back. they clear on either side so im going to run them on the back of the disk.

heres some pics of the stock caliper mounting bracket and the modifications i made to bolt up the GTR stuff. its a bit hard to see clearly but i think you'll get the idea.

this is the side of the bracket that faces the disk, the caliper mounts against this side.

this is the other side, the bolts go in from this side. they aren't the same because i changed my mind after id made the first one........

you can kind of see the 4mm offset that i needed in this photo.

now i got brakes!!! im really happy with how easily this bit came together.
    sheepers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepers View Post
    some photos. dont have all day to type so youll have to fill in the blanks.

sheepers.
    I thought all the matched Skyline disc and caliper combo's interchanged? Or were the rotors mounted to the rear of the hub?

Callum

Rear mounted rotors. That said the system which Sheepers has used looks good. Comes with the same intrinsic problem as the RX7/MPV caliper one, in that you need wheels with MASSIVE caliper clearance.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by TA22 1MZ View Post
    good call mate.
    Yeap, sourced MS65 hubs to convert to 5 stud.
    Calipers and rotors all go together very nicely. Just need a hub ring to locate the rotor on the hub.
    this hub ring you speak of, is it available off the shelf or a custom jobbie?

also whats the size of the BA rotor?

Great info guys, keep it coming!
    12.4 @ 110mph

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

BA rotor is 298mm diameter with a thickness of 28mm.

Callum

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic bigmat's Avatar

i have r33calipers, 330x30mm gtp cup vain rotors( similar to dba 4000-5000) series. ms 85 hubs not 65. stub axles needed to be sleeved to carry bigger bearing for ms85 hub. wheel offset can be a bit of a problem when you have r and p conversion and different struts. i have xt130 struts. pushes track out now by atleast 25mm over standard but im still within legal track limits but i can only run a 7 inch rim with +20 offset as an 8 inch rim will hit my strut. i have about 3mm clearance and my tyres just fit under my guards that are rolled and liped. i also needed to use cut down evo pads regrinded to fit as i use feroddo 2500 pads. current setup has seen over 1.2gs on breaking with street tyres at AIR ten times from 110kmhr to stop with no probs at all. i was just waiting for something to break this got them warm and then the fun began they just bit even harder with every brake it was awesome. thanks to linden the legend as he made the package for me. hope this help as its more of what it can do than a tech read.

cheers mat

thanks bigmat

Takai - im fairly interested in the mx83 setup on the ma61 as mx83 is already 5 stud and if i were to use the mx73 gear id have to hunt down and some ridiculously overpriced ms65 hubs. Any reason other than wider track (adj lca's should fix that) do you think i might have any problems making this work in a KE70?
    12.4 @ 110mph

You may have some issues in the 70 with ackermann angles. The MA61 from factory has a bit of a weird setup on ackermann because it shares the same ackermann point as the RA60/65 which has a shorter wheelbase.

Plus the LCAs are 330mm, which you need to compensate for the higher king pin angle on the struts.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

I got Hoppers Stoppers put into Trini. I didn't want to frig about with changing struts, getting bits of this and bits of that, nor change the track. I just wanted the best bolt-in upgrade I could get.

The brakes run a 290mm slotted disc, and large 2-pot PBR calipers. It all fitted without any issues and cleared the Simmons wheels. They're still bedding in, but she stops on a dime now. I think 1JZRolla also has the same upgrade.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

yeah but how much did you fork over for that kit river? that is if you dont mind me asking
    12.4 @ 110mph