Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your friend the circuit opening relay (or how to wire fuel pumps)

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Default Re: Your friend the circuit opening relay (or how to wire fuel pumps)

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Does the fuel pump relay click when you move the afm flap with the ignition on?
    Also put a jumper wire from the orange battery wire to the black fuel pump wire, and see if the pump runs.
    No, the relays dont click with the flap movement.
    the relays do click when doing the testing on them. So their fine.
    The lift and high pressure pump work when connected to power. This is how i move the car around ATM.

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

Do you have a test light? If so, earth the clip of the test light and make sure you have an ign supply to the relay. Then, with the clip still earthed, put the test light on the afm wire at the relay and see if the relay clicks. If you have ign but the relay doesn't click with the test light on the afm wire then you have a bad connection at the relay. If it does click, put the test light on the afm wire at the air flow meter plug and see if the relay clicks. If no click then you have a wiring fault on the afm wire, if it clicks you have a problem with the air flow meter or the earth to the air flow meter. Hope this makes sense.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Ah, that sort of makes sense. As we mentioned earlier the connecting of the wiring is suss, this will prove without the removal.
    So, basically i'm earthing it from both points which will inturn opens the circuit and runs the pumps. to see if both points are connected sufficiently.Providing the relays click from each point....

thanks guys. i know this is dragging on for the other followers of this thread.
    but its the only thing holding the cars progress. i get fustrated and give up after a while, hence the age of the build...

guys, thanks heaps for this thread and comments.
    i now can open the AFM flap and the fuel pumps operate.
    i have seperated the lift pump and pressure pump on seperate relays.
    it works great.

Onwards and upwards now.

Quote Originally Posted by RA35GT View Post
    Plugs/connector housings should be fine man. Just the wires themselves look a little past it.
    New terminals (that crimp onto wires and you push into the housing) I can help you with so you can crimp new wires into them..
    Ra35GT, As you mentioned above. Can you or can you guide me as to where to buy new plugs for both ECU plug types.
    As i at work i cann't place the pic of ECU's, but the pic is on another thread for you or anyone that can help to look at.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...18r-g-248.html

cheers

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

I have heaps of leftover terminals (the metal things that crimp onto the wire and then get inserted into the plastic plugs)

The plugs themselves I'm not sure if they are available new anywhere. I generally raid these from a wreck...

If you remove the terminals you have and take pics I can see if they are the same as what was in mine. (Alternatively I think I have pics hosted somewhere of the terminals I have, which I will dig up)
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Here's some pics of the terminals I have mate.

1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

ill have a look at what i have and let you know.
    can't work on it till weekend.

cheers thanks for the offer.