Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Suspension Corolla

Junior Member Grease Monkey Brad-KE35's Avatar

Question Front Suspension Corolla

G'day guys,

Got a couple of problems here with my suspension on my KE35 Corolla, I lowered the back of it by getting the leafs reset, that part is fine, I replaced the old worn shocks with new Monroe GT ones.

As for the front, I wanted it too lower approx. 2 inches, as it would look even with the back, now you can't actually buy 2 inch lowering springs for these Corollas. So you have to use like a 85 model Ford Laser rear ones, which fit fine, but upon doing so, and not knowing, I put in new normal height shocks, and now those shocks are rooted and the car bounces around, and bottoms out everywhere.

I was just wondering, can you buy lower shocks for the front of these? Because I tried, and haven't had any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Brad
    1977 Toyota Corolla KE35 - Undergoing 4AGTE transplant.
    1994 Ford Falcon Pedovan - Rape Dungeon

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: Front Suspension Corolla

now you can't actually buy 2 inch lowering springs for these Corollas
    King Springs don't make them any more?? I had 2" lower King Springs in my KE38.

can you buy lower shocks for the front of these?
    If by lower you mean a short stroke shock then there is probably nothing available off the shelf as such. You will most likely need to measure your strut tube internal dimensions and then look through the shock catalogue and find something that will fit and is of the required stroke length.

By fitting a shorter stroke shock (if that is what you actually need??) you may also need to fit spacers inside the strut tube as the shock will be physically smaller than the standard unit.

In my old corolla the shocks were just standard dimensions and they worked fine with the 2" lowered springs for many many years. I don't think I am quite clear on the shock absorber problem you are having now??? Is it not keeping the spring captive at full drop? Is it underdampened for the spring rate?? Is it just a shit shock that died??
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

perhaps the bump travel is now like 1" and the rebound 5", so it bottoms out on sydney roads

solution is to either get shock with shorter shaft (to restore the bump/rebound length ratio), or to get shorter bodies shocks and cut down the strut, so there is more physical space for bump
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

thanks for ya quick reply mate

yeah, I rang the guy up at Kings, and he said they don't make 2" springs for these puppies anymore .

yeah, the guy at bob jane said something about the shock being too long for the lowered springs or something like that.

as you said and the dude at T marts said, it needs a shorter stroke shock, and it isn't just a shoddy shock, its gone on both sides, and my brother did the same thing to his KE30 and is experiencing the same issues.

But maybe the front springs being for the rear of a laser may be the issue? being the rear they wouldn't be experiencing as much weight, if ya get what I mean?

anyways the car is too dangerous to drive according to a front end place, its that bad

thanks once again man

Brad

yeah your right oldcorollas, the bump/rebound ratio is up the shit, it just bounces and bottoms out, but these shitty roads we have don't help

A KE35 lowered 2" up front should have lots of bump travel left, seems odd to me that the shocks aren't working with such a mild lowering on that car.

Even the set of Monroes (shitter shocks) lasted about 100 000km on the kings springs before they needed replacing.

What sort of shocks did you use?
    My KE25 thread

yeah its got me over a barrel, I bought some superlite mag wheels for it, so when they get fitted I'll ask them about my issues.

I just used Monroe GT Gas.

Thanks again guys.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    I just used Monroe GT Gas.
    As I said, I got about 100000km out of mine before they died.

You still running the rubber bump stops on the shock shaft?
    My KE25 thread

yep still using the rubber stops on the stock shaft. I also replaced the stabiliser bar bushes but it probably doesn't matter.

That is strange then

If you do find a shorter stroke shock for your corolla be sure to post the info on here for the info of other rolla owners
    My KE25 thread

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rob1's Avatar

the guy at the suspension place probably means by saying that the shock is "too long" that when the assembly is out of the car the springs aren't compressed at all with the short springs. if your shocks bottom out that is the best way to fuck them.

When i had my ke55 with really short springs i found a solution which would probably help you. rear sw20 mr2 shock inserts will be small enough in diameter to fit into your strut tube, the only thing is, you have to make up a collar to go inbetween the stut top nut and the top of the shock. any decent machine shop can make these up easily. you also have to make sure that the collar doesn't damage the top of the insert when tightened up.

doing this makes the over-all extended length of your front end short enough that the springs are never uncompressed. the collar on mine was about 50mm long.

HTH

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

well.. if you figure that stock stroke is about 15cm.. and there is about 60/40 bump/rebound, thats 9cm bump, 6cm rebound

now lower it say.. 5 or 6cm, you now have 3-4cm bump... given the size of sydney potholes, you would need to consider lowering it properly

or less....

short stroke shock is NOT what you want!!!!! you need shock with same length stroke, but with shorter body, so you can cut the strut and give you more bump...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rob1's Avatar

ps, good idea to use the rubber bump stop on the strut, so you hopefully won't bottom out the insert

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    short stroke shock is NOT what you want!!!!! you need shock with same length stroke, but with shorter body, so you can cut the strut and give you more bump...
    Ha, good point, I was fixated on the captive spring thing.

If a shock is not bottoming out it's piston (causing damage) and disregarding the whole massive increase in spring rate when you delve into the bump stop compression then I fail to see how you could damage a shock absorber by simply being in a particular portion of its stroke range?? Even being into the bump stop compression (I know it's not good) it shouldn't damage a well built shock absorber.
    My KE25 thread

Thanks guys, I will ask the dudes at T marts when I get my wheels fitted. I'll look around some more for lowered shocks.

AFAIK I'm haven't touched the rubber bump stops, so they should be there.

Rob only one problem with that, I live Tamworth, which is a hole, and they have no wreckers that would have SW20's.

But I will let you guys know how how I go, once again great help on here +rep!

Bradelz