Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fix your speedo the factory way ...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: How to fix your speedo the factory way ...

thanks again. i just swapped in the 22 and all is well. no more "speeding"

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

For anyone who's interested, I've updated my Wheel Size and Gearing Calculator to include speedo drive gear information - so for any given wheel/diff/gearbox combination it will calculate the ideal speedo drive ratio, and suggest the closest match out of the known drive gear combinations.

http://akb.norbie.net/Public/Gearing.aspx

Any further suggestions welcomed.

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    what if ya have a T50 box? then what?

if there is an electronic speedsensor that fits a t50 id love to know cos it means i can run a speed sensor to the ecu and consequently a check engine light which would be the bomb and a half
    I wired a 1uz into a 4runner recently it had the stock auto and the owner wanted it controlled by the soarer ecu, the speedo is mechanical but has a reed switch and tiny magnet on the actual gauge in the dash which sends a ground pulse back to the ecu, I used this as the speed signal for the auto soarer ecu and it works perfectly, changes gears well and no check light,

might be a cheap option, you may need a "pull up" resistor 1K or something back to ignition will prob work

Junior Member Grease Monkey

while we're on the subject of speedo's,

does anyone know of a decent crowd in the brisbane or ipswich area to repair ours?

The speedo on our camry (SV21) shows roughly 10km/h less than what the car is actually travelling at.

The car is fitted with the standard factory 14" wheels and tyres, so I'm thinking it may be badly worn or something????

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Does anybody know how you find out how many starts you have on the worm gear? I've done a bit of digging in the epc and found the most common in the MA61 (W58) is 11 with the EUR/ARL being the odd ones out with 10. Then i've found 31, 32 and 33 teeth on the driven gear through different regions including EUR/ARL. I'm confused a little.

What does the Aus MA61 have (starts on worm gear) or is it just a matter of asking the local dealership?

Last question, is the MA61 speedo a 637 type?

Sam
    Last edited by Negative Boost; 09-05-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jonny Rochester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajh
    while we're on the subject of speedo's,

does anyone know of a decent crowd in the brisbane or ipswich area to repair ours?

The speedo on our camry (SV21) shows roughly 10km/h less than what the car is actually travelling at.

The car is fitted with the standard factory 14" wheels and tyres, so I'm thinking it may be badly worn or something????

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

The problem is your speedo and tacho needles bent in a curve with age. Once they had bent too much, they could not show above 60kph due the the shape of the clear cover. Your needles probably got replaced with a new needle kit. When the needles are put on, they never go back quite in the same place.

Remove the plastic cover. Pull the needle off with a fork, carefully but firm. Push the needle back on, You will need to experiment a few times to get it roughly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    Does anybody know how you find out how many starts you have on the worm gear? I've done a bit of digging in the epc and found the most common in the MA61 (W58) is 11 with the EUR/ARL being the odd ones out with 10. Then i've found 31, 32 and 33 teeth on the driven gear through different regions including EUR/ARL. I'm confused a little.

What does the Aus MA61 have (starts on worm gear) or is it just a matter of asking the local dealership?

Sam
    You need to do some cross referencing in the EPC, unless you have your own car apart. Also look up what diff ratios different cars had, and the dates. Find what diff ratio your car has, and use maths to work out what speedo gears your car should have in theory.

Hmm okay then, i know what my diff ratio is. 3.909 (stock manual). And i know what my gearbox ratios are (W55) and the stock gearbox ratios (W58) from this site. Should be able to work something out from them. I think i'm just tired. I'll give it a go in the morning. Thanks for your help

According to this, the closest match would be 31/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Rochester
    The problem is your speedo and tacho needles bent in a curve with age. Once they had bent too much, they could not show above 60kph due the the shape of the clear cover. Your needles probably got replaced with a new needle kit. When the needles are put on, they never go back quite in the same place.

Remove the plastic cover. Pull the needle off with a fork, carefully but firm. Push the needle back on, You will need to experiment a few times to get it roughly right.
    I think they're still the original needles, because they are bent. The speedo is the straightest out of the lot, it's only slightly kinked and the temp gauge is the worst, it's shaped like a banana

Just on that, I take it you can buy a needle kit?

ajh: You can buy a needle kit from Toyota for SV21, because its a common problem. But its like $58.

Neg Boost: The gearbox ratios make no difference. The speedo only looks at the output shaft of the gearbox, which is spinning the same speed as the diff pinion regardless of gear. I looked up part numbers, a standard MA61 in Australia will have 32/10 speedo gears. Early MA61 had 11/33, before 8308.

Thanks Jonny. I was stumped on the whole gear ratio thing last night for ages and only clicked when i read what you had wrote. Seems i was too tired for my own good.
    I too found the early/late MA61 thing on the EPC earlier tonight. Mine is an 8308 model so the assumption is that i have a 11 start worm drive.
    Thats good news becuase the gearbox that i replaced it with was from an RA65 and from what i can tell from the EPC, they only came with an 11 start worm drive! Woohoo, thats as easy as putting my old W58 Speedometer drive into the W55. Might aswell change the fluid while im at it. Cheers again.

And Norbie, that site you've done is just awsome.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    For anyone who's interested, I've updated my Wheel Size and Gearing Calculator to include speedo drive gear information - so for any given wheel/diff/gearbox combination it will calculate the ideal speedo drive ratio, and suggest the closest match out of the known drive gear combinations.

http://akb.norbie.net/Public/Gearing.aspx

Any further suggestions welcomed.
    can you do closest matched for the speedometer worm/drive gear in other combination? ie 6 5 4 worm gears? i think i would rather see how close i can get w/o opening up the transmission to replace a worm gear other than that, awesome tool!

also can you allow a save function for transmission ratios? maybe we submit them and you can verify them and then include them... example. US corolla gts T50 same 1-4 as the early celica but 5th is .861 i think the save function would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by black86
    can you do closest matched for the speedometer worm/drive gear in other combination? ie 6 5 4 worm gears? i think i would rather see how close i can get w/o opening up the transmission to replace a worm gear other than that, awesome tool!
    Hmmm ok, I'll have a think about how I can make that work.
    Quote Originally Posted by black86
    also can you allow a save function for transmission ratios? maybe we submit them and you can verify them and then include them...
    The functionality is already there to add/edit different transmissions and their relationship to different models etc (see here for the current listing), but at the moment only registered users can do it, ie you need a login. I'm currently working on a mechanism for non-registered users to submit changes which can then be verified by "moderators" and included in the database. Stay tuned!

Smile Re: How to fix your speedo the factory way ...

[QUOTE=Jonny Rochester]ajh: You can buy a needle kit from Toyota for SV21, because its a common problem. But its like $58.

Thanks for that.

$58 sounds expensive at first, but I suppose it's still cheaper than a sppeding fine!!!

Cheers,

Andrew.