Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98 Toyota Supra SZR to TT

Default Re: 98 Toyota Supra SZR to TT

Got all the bolts off engine bracket except one, it is totally rounded and will need to be drilled out, always the last bolt, stupid shit.
    My mate didn't come on Sunday because he was a bit sick/hung over so no progress on timing belt and water pump, hopefully will be done next weekend, also realised the oil return pipe is on an angle with the GE sump so will need custom hose for that too.

Just these small things I need to get done before I can test fit and then hook the transmission up with Harley's loom and get this bitch back on the road, sick of it sitting in the shed.

Main rear seal and pilot/spigot bearing replaced

Dual Mass flywheel (top plate is off aristo engine, used for autos)

All the parts

Titan cam gear (also a little off centre, by like .05, shouldn't make much difference)
    Last edited by 98SZR; 24-09-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Needs a clean!

Also someone let me know if I am posting too many pics!
    Just like to help others see whats there!

That was my last 3 weekends worth of updates

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 98SZR
    Also someone let me know if I am posting too many pics!
    Just like to help others see whats there!
    It might be helpful to post just a few highlights, then a link to a webpage with the rest of the photos. Not everyone wants to see the whole lot at once.

Coming along nicely though.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    It might be helpful to post just a few highlights, then a link to a webpage with the rest of the photos. Not everyone wants to see the whole lot at once.

Coming along nicely though.
    Ok no worries mate, will trim up tonight.

Yes coming along.

Thought it was time to update this thread as I forgot about it! Well the project is finished since my last post way back in March! Thought I'd share some pics of the rest of the build, didn't run into too many troubles.

-Turbo return drain hole drilled and studs added on sump, sump then put on
    -Engine mounts and brackets put on
    -Aftermarket Flywheel and clutch installed
    -Water pump, titan cam gear, power enterprise timing belt installed
    -Stock injectors and rail installed
    -All accesories put back on (PS pump etc etc)
    -Clutch master cylinder heat shield installed
    -EFI2 wiring and other fuse box pins added/soldered
    -The body loom was basically the same apart from a few differences like the trac control and advanced abs, so modified a little
    -Oxygen sensor rewired to fit supra plug
    -Brought water remp sender as aristo 2jz doesn't one.
    -Engine and gearbox finally installed!
    -Radiator and FMIC installed
    -Hooked up tune agent dump pipe and trust exhaust system
    -Plugged everything up, all earths, add and bleed all fluids that were needed
    -Started up First time clicked over! YAY! was running crap though.
    -Compression test and spark plugs changed 156psi over all 6 (Cold crank) one was down a little, at 150 odd. Car then ran great!
    -Installed HKS intake (Couldn't find stock unti as the vvti with the afm bung are hard to find)
    -12V Fuel mod
    -Blitz boost contoller installed sbc-id III

Thanks to supraforums members:
    Silver GZ-(Curtis)- Basically guided me through anything I didn't know about mechanically and anything supra related! With you mate I think I'd be still scratching my head on some things, I really have learn't shitloads from you! Big thumbs up to all your help!

JZA70 Limited (Dave)- The wiring guru Thanks for all your wiring hints, tips and very helpful instructions and explinations on electrical systems, turned out to be fairly straight foward wiring in the end but you were a big help and made sure everything was done to or close to spec, once again more knowledge into my brain as I learnt heaps more once again!

KGB (Keith)- Another very helpful mech on hand, gave me advice on a lot of little things that are a pain in the arse to do, also gave some great tips on painting and general things to do with the conversion, big thanks to you mate.

DRIFTR (Stu)- Thanks for some of the photos and tips, also measuring that damn master clutch cylinder heat shield hole depth, great having info off people who have done it before.

All supraforums.com.au members who have contributed to this thread and gave me advice through PM's, SMS, Phone calls, and general replies you have really been a great help.

Any vendors I have brought stuff off, like Aaron (Nakedterror) at Rampant performance, allways on the lookout for the rare shit I'm always trying to find, also Nengun, Kinway and a few others.

Also big thanks to my mates who helped me out and lent me tools, Dan, Jason, Ben, Joel (Slow2j), Josh, Gavan and anyone else! Also a huge thanks to the Mrs for putting up with all the swearing, greasy hands, hot food, alcohol and running around everywhere for me! xoxox

PROJECT COSTS

Blitz FMIC: $1331.98
    Radiator: $350
    Aftermarket Clutch and flywheel including all OEM parts: $1978
    Whole exhaust system $450
    OEM Gear Second hand: $330
    OEM Gear new from toyota: $752.40
    Misc (Wiring, parts, cleaning): $416
    Engine and other parts: $3836
    (This includes, engine, intake, titan cam gear, kevlar timing belt, loom, injectors, radiator pipe)

So for an aftermarket parts conversion with aristo sump and loom swap total project cost was:

$9444.38

Minus sold products such as previous engine and exhaust etc

$1582

Total Project

$9444.38
    - $1582

= $7862.38

So your looking at around $8000 for total project cost by doing the work yourself, you must take into account I used almost $4000 in aftermarket parts, also give or take a few beers and extra misc costs.

I haven't added up any parts that weren't needed for the project like boost controller or strut brace etc.

So I'm pretty happy with the outcome and to keep within my own set budget. I've really just proved a point that if I had of sold my car and went for a 1998 RZ with FMIC, full exhaust and a few other things I'd be pushing my luck finding one for around $29000 with less than 60,000km. So I'm happy

Current Power: 260rwkw at 16.6psi (Boost cut), 257rwkw at 15.2psi.

More pics and dyno result can be found here: http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...603#post563603
    Last edited by 98SZR; 24-09-2007 at 10:12 AM.

The Supreme Backyard Mechanic

probably worth a mention that an n/a to TT conversion is only worth the time and money when you get such a mint late model for such little money to start with.... but then again.... with the values quickly dropping, it may change in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by 5000gt
    probably worth a mention that an n/a to TT conversion is only worth the time and money when you get such a mint late model for such little money to start with.... but then again.... with the values quickly dropping, it may change in the near future.
    Yes I agree, I picked this up probably almost 2 years ago for a great price $21000, with less than 50k on the clock, can't verify that it was genuine but could at least see by the condtion of the car.

Also I did all the work myself apart from a few tiny things that mates helped out with for a few beers This saved a heap of money, also thanks for the the sump swap too 5000gt!