Thread: 4A Power Steering Pump Upgrade

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default 4A Power Steering Pump Upgrade

Just when you thought there possibly cant be any more questions to ask that havent been asked before, this one is probably going to be new to most people out there.

What I am asking is does anyone know of an upgrade to the standard 4AGE power steering pump thats pretty easy to do. I could quite easily spend a heap of money on something huge with a lot of flow and pressure but making it fit the engine and current lines might be hard to do. Anyone know of a simple bolt on (or as close to) upgrade to the pump that might work? Yes the whole project revolves on what i can get done as cheap as possible.
    Although still in the early stages I have a 4AGE in a Suzuki Sierra running a Vitara power steering setup with the standard 4A pump. This does make the Zook a lot nicer to drive but its not all that great. Now my next Zook will see a 4AGZE turning 35x14.5" rubber on the end of Toyota axles. Judging by the current setup I am going to need a better power steering package for this rig. My thoughts are to stick with the Vitara box (as i already have this) and run a Hydro Assist Ram helping it along. With the ram added to the system I think I am going to need more flow/pressure hence a pump upgrade. Although this may not even belong in this forum (and yes i have posted similar questions in 4WD forums) someone may know of a simple upgrade when it comes to the Toyota pump.
    Anyone want to give it a go????
    Thanks for reading, cheers

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default Re: 4A Power Steering Pump Upgrade

do you want more flow or more pressure? or both?

I do not know the flow/pressure rates of the 4A pump but I would assume I will need both flow and pressure upgraded to run the ram in the system alongside the Vitara box.

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

well maybe you could increase the flow by decreasing the size of the pump pulley? im only taking a stab here im, im not sure on the best way to go.

no matter what you do youre either gonna need custom lines to suite a toyota pump or a custom bracket to suite another makes pump, but probably both. maybe a power steering place has info on flow/pressure and you can go from there. id probably be just trying to find a bigger pump with the same belt design and go from there. you could prob make your own bracket for cheap, but as im sure you know the steering hoses arent that cheap.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

hey bazooka ,my sierra is running a 20v p/s pump on the gze with a 60 series landcruiser steering box , no problems so far.
    1 finger steering with 34in simex jt2s.

your pump should be fine just upgrade the box.
    the vitara steering box is good with small tires but not enough for what you are going to use.

Yeah Cheers Evo, thats pretty much the way I'm headed. Just thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone knew something that I didn't.

Thanks Drew, I was also looking at the 60 series box side of things. The forward facing pitman arm may be needed anyway if I want to move the front axle forward to any degree. Im sure I would have no trouble offloading a complete Vitara power steering setup
    One day I will come see what you have done there! Still the ram idea does seem cool, haha.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

the ram may do the trick if you can find the info on drilling the vitara box, just factor in stripping & resealing it.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I suggest trying the 4AG pump, and if it runs short on grunt then adapt something bigger, otherwise be happy.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Also, GZE would probably be more of a pain to adapt something to due to the big mounting plate down the exhaust side. Bit of DIY and you shoudl be fine though.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence