Thread: 2TG/3T into KE70

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2TG/3T into KE70

Hey all,

i am new to this forum, so if there is a tech guide to doing it then please don't bag me just post in the link and i'll be on my way lol,But basically I have just purchased a KE70 and have done a bit of thinking and want to put a 3T into it.

A couple of my friends (gbanger & AE_82) reckon i should go 5K and then supercharge it. but i wanna be a little different, and since this car will eventually die (as all of my cars have), i figured that this was a little more stronger for my driving style

Basically this is what i have:
    1x KE70
    1x T-18, with g/box, engine mounts, crossmember,etc
    1x 2T motor
    2x 3T motors
    1x 2TG head (complete)

and all i was going to do would be to transfer all crap T-18 parts into my corolla and go from there. while this is going i was going to either build up a 2TG or a 3T with the 2TG head and make a mildly tough motor, and once its built it should just go straight into my engine bay no problems

Any help would be great because i am starting this project pretty soon, but plan to have the motor built by mid year uni holidays

Cheers Bengi

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 2TG/3T into KE70

Legality check: You cant have an older engine in a car unless you run LPG.

For "how" to do it, search for 2T-G in a KE30, much more common.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screamn_Sleeka
    Legality check: You cant have an older engine in a car unless you run LPG.

For "how" to do it, search for 2T-G in a KE30, much more common.
    you can if it meets the emission targets for the year the car was produced.
    If in doubt power out

Junior Member Grease Monkey gbanger's Avatar

cough.... build a k engine...... cough..... cheeper and easier.... cough... and legal
    KE20 as fast as a wet blanket SOLD!!!!
    AE92 SECA SX - now with new heart! SOLD
    Series 2 RX-7 extend port 13b flame thrower SOLD
    KE55 5k Daily, faster than wet blanket, slower than rx7 ALSO SOLD
    XR4 Fiesta... Why did i buy it... FOR SALE!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

yeah but more power say no to k series. 3t turbo
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Thanks all,

didn't think much about legality as my father gave me the choice. ROAD CAR OR RACE CAR. I chose race car started the conversion so hopefully i can get the engine mounted soon

+ rep for all for helping me in my decisions

Cheers Bengi

Write English! Grease Monkey GasedT18's Avatar

Hi Bengi,

this might be a bit of a late reply but...

You seem to have most of the parts to build a 2T-G/3T hybrid. Engine wise you have to bite the bullet on one option.

I've been researching 2T-G/3T hybrid options myself but as I haven't performed one myself there may be some inaccuracies in the following that I'm sure other forum members will hopefully point out. There's a lot of information in this forum and the old forum on 2T-G/3T hybrids but not a single definitve document (yet) (since the topic comes up over and over some forum members get the shits and send you off to search) - there are a few options depending on, for example, if one is swaping the crank, rods and pistons out of the 3T into an early series 2T block or 2tg head on 3T block. However, the following thread is a good starting point: 2T-G/3T info

The way I see it you have a 2T-G head (you say 'complete' but this can mean different things to different people) but to build a 2T-G/3T hybrid you will need as far as I know all the timing chain components off a 2tg - that is: timing chain cover, tensioner sprokets, chain guides, chains (top and bottom), a dummy cam(?) and I think the water pump is different too 2tg vs 3T. You will need to get the pistons flycut to provde some space 'valve relief' to stop the valves interfering with the piston and of course consumables like a crank oil seal, gaskets. You will also need an inlet manifold for the 2T-G. The ideal way of doing this conversion is to have a complete 2T-G or 2T-GEU and 3T-C sitting next to each other.

If you don't have all the bits you could settle for building a stronger 3T-C. There is a bit of a bias on this forum away from the 3T-C towards the 2T-G/3T-C hybrid and other engines (e.g., 4A-xxx, 3T-GTE). The 3T-C has a strong bottom end (fully counter weighted crank which the 2T-G doesn't have) and it has stronger rods. The 3T-C lacks the appeal of the 'twin cam' being a push rod engine. However, in the US there is a much larger fan club for the 3T and there are a lot of reasonably priced performance upgrades e.g., roller rockers, lighter stronger push rods, larger valve kits, double springs, performance cams etc (the only thing that is not common is a bolt on side draught manifold for a 3T but with a bit of welding & re-drilling a 2T-G manifold can be made to fit)

See for example http://www.brdracing.com/brdcatalog32.html
    and http://www.paradiseracing.com/index.htm
    No doubt there are others.

You might also like to check out this site which has heaps of information on 2T and 3T engines and modifications of them

http://www.toyota3tc.com/

In terms of emissions problems I doubt if a 2T-G/3T hybrid with a set of Webers or Solexes would get past a check. I'm unsure of the emissions laws vs age of car etc around the country. You could get through a check if you installed the standard downdraught carb with all of the pollution control hooked up and pull this off after rego and thereby break the law - you may get defected if pulled over. If it is a track only car you won't have that problem.

Good luck with the project

D
    T-18 SE series 2 1982 3T-C dual fuel, now under resto
    3T-GTE rebuild with fancy gas bits under consideration
    AE71 CSX 1984 auto
    Parts Wanted ASAP - See Parts Wanted