Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guests viewing my members rides thread

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Default guests viewing my members rides thread

herror!

i was wondering why the forums members rides thread is not viewable to guests??

this is just about the only place that i have put so much effort into my members rides thread and even though i got it moved from CLUB MEMBERS ONLY to FORUM MEMBERS ONLY i still can not share it with people who are not toymods forums members.

i have lots of friends, family and people who are interested as well as suppliers and people who would like to help me with problems that i would like to view my thread.

is there any way that this can happen?

otherwise is there any way we can start a poll or something to see how many forums members woud like that section to be open to guests?

or maybe make a new section (although that would be kind of ghey)

i reckon that if you dont wish your thread to be viewed by guests you should be a proper club member and have your thread in club members section.

i woudl really like to share my work with people who are interested, but wont be bothered waiting 2 weeks to have forum membership approved just to view 1 thread!!!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Default Re: guests viewing my members rides thread

If in doubt power out

thats whiskey for you.....

i even replied lol.

anyway, its shill GAY!! i want people to read my thread here, where else can i copy it so people can read it?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Set up your own blog and cut/paste your thread there. However, any changes you make to the thread on Toymods will require you to make them on your blog copy.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

PlacentaJuan,
    I know exactly what your saying.

I'll find out the exact reason why it is not available for viewing and let your know but I am pretty sure it is to protect those with nice cars that have posted in there.

All people have to do is actually see a car from on of those threads, Know what it's got in it and then it's fair game for any low life car stealing scum.

I can understand your reasons for wanting it viewable and I'll see what I can do.
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Protection of the cars seems like a bit of a strange argument - If somebody isworried about their car, why would they post information about it? It's not like there is a police check* before the club accepts members..

* - Well, there might be, as a non member, I don't know..
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

serial biochemist Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson
    Protection of the cars seems like a bit of a strange argument - If somebody isworried about their car, why would they post information about it? It's not like there is a police check* before the club accepts members..

* - Well, there might be, as a non member, I don't know..
    yeah, I also don't understand this arguement. I thought the members rides threads were there specifically to show-off the fruits of tech and conversion discussions etc. If you're trying to enlist people with an interest in toyotas, letting them see cars owned and modded by members might be a good way to kindle that interest.
    your rep rating is not a reflection of your worth to the community

Quote Originally Posted by H1TMAN
    wtf? I want to do track racing, and f#@k you...
    that's very flattering but no thanks.

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Its a bit of a case of stopping the minority of people who have ill intentions i'd have thought. Much like you put an alarm on your car to stop randoms stealing it, not allowing randoms to look in depth at what you've got going sounds good to me. The waiting period to sign up (or signing up at all, with real details) would be enough to deter those with ill intent or make them not bother.
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

There is a couple of reasons for this:
    1. It stops people from randomly trawling the forum looking for car details
    2. It exposes only the technical and club activity side of what the club is about to the public to try and help with getting the kind of forum members joining that you guys are after
    3. It does not expose the rubbish that is in a lot of members rides threads to the general public, a lot of people treat a members rides thread as their own little plot on the internet where they can say whatever they want.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I think there are valid points for both sides of the argument. Personally I would want people to see what goes into my car (when I start the members ride thread, ive got the photos, need to shrink them, scan some film photos in, and start piecing together what I want to put), but as an Electrical Engineer I will be personally attending to the security of the vehicle... so the security system will be semi-secretive, and well hidden from the conversion photos.

Others who dont put in as complex a security system may compromise their vehicle with a members ride thread, or may compromise the vehicle by unwittingly stating the vehicle has little more than locks protecting it, so I can see the board's point of view there.

I do like the idea of outsiders being allowed to view with some sort of identification allowing them to relate their viewing to be drawn back to a member showing them... but this would be a pain for the board to monitor/setup. Perhaps if the person creating the thread could have an option to allow it to be publicly viewed?? In which case they then have a prompt telling them they are liable for any ill actions taken by randoms viewing the thread, but still give them the option.

As a soon to be paying member, I think the board and mods do a good job with the money sent to them (otherwise I wouldnt be willing to send them money), and I think that with the reasons that Josh has shown, the decision to only allow forum members to view the members rides thread was a wise one.

Cheers, Owen

PS, sorry for the novel
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Oh, and I like the idea of allowing outsiders to view the Toyotas For Sale section, which would encourage outsiders to purchase Toyotas (this is how I got my lil brother to buy an RA23 when he would have otherwise bought any random thing he came across at a cheap price)

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

ideally i suppose each individual should be able to choose if their thread is viewable by guests.

this could be done by providing a link only to your thread, thereby stopping trawlers looking at any thread in that section.

also as a paying toymods member i think we should choose who we want to look at our thread.

if people (forums members) dont want their thread viewed by just anyone, then they should become financial members so their thread can be moved to the private section.

the advantage should be for paying toymods financial members, and at the moement i think we are being dis-advantaged by not having this choice, while non-paying forums members get a private section to post about their rides.

also, forcing my friends and family to go through the whole process of joining these forums puts an unnecessary load on people like kirsty, especially when said friends and family are going through the 2 week ( or so) process just to view one single thread.

besides which, if someone wants to troll the rides sectiong to steal cars, the simple (albeit slow) process of registering is hardly a deterrent.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

if you really really want other people to be able to see it, why not make a webpage about it?

toymods is not the only site on the internet. you can easily set up a free webpage elsewhere.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

serial biochemist Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    if you really really want other people to be able to see it, why not make a webpage about it?

toymods is not the only site on the internet. you can easily set up a free webpage elsewhere.
    this sounds like much more work than simply having the option to limit access the a thread to toymods members.

If it were possible, I think the option to allow any viewer to access ones members ride thread would be an invaluable alteration to the current protocol.

I also respect however , that the mods already do a significant amount to ensure the maintenance and security of the site and its members and therefore, in no way intend this post to be a whinge or a dig.
    your rep rating is not a reflection of your worth to the community

Quote Originally Posted by H1TMAN
    wtf? I want to do track racing, and f#@k you...
    that's very flattering but no thanks.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

If you really want them to see it just send them your login details

Or find another forum that doesn't have said restrictions and just quote everything on to there and then send them the link to that one
    If in doubt power out