Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: st205 brakes onto aw11. Legal issues?

Junior Member Grease Monkey safeforever's Avatar

Default Re: st205 brakes onto aw11. Legal issues?

Quote Originally Posted by TooF
    you realise 4agze and 4age mr2s (assuming 86+) have the exact same brakes in them ?

one option would be ae92 twinky calipers are these use the same rotor/pad but have a slightly larger piston diameter.
    another option is ST185 twin pistons (which is what i have)
    or st185 single pistons.

all are much more of a bolt on upgrade rather then a complete rethink.
    yep, i realise the 86+ models do. mines an '85 model though, so i have tiny little brakes
    cheers

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by safeforever
    any chance someone could possibly pass on a link to the st185 GT4 upgrade for the rear?
    Not sure if many people who do the ST185 front brake upgrade do a rear brake upgrade as well? Pretty sure most dont.

If you want to do a rear upgrade and don't want to do that cut and shut method in your link then I would probably suggest looking for similar calipers on other Toyotas (SW20 perhaps?? V6 Camry??) and looking into having an adaptor bracket made rather than modifying the cast brake components.

Brake upgrades on Toyotas rarely tend to be a simple bolt-on affair, at least you do have some simple upgrade options for the front though which is a bonus.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Maybe something for the AE101 would fit?
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Pity your in Canberra safeforever as there are not many wreckers here and even less that'll let you wander around and measure things

Aye, aint that the truth. I found it a pain to try and do anything on the AE86 while i was in Canberra. The only exception was Pats wreckers in Queanbeyan, but they have a woeful selection of Toyotas.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Could go to Ceasers and get ripped of or worse have a spanner ricochet off something and nearly ding your car when the monkey gets the shits LOL

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Could go to Ceasers and get ripped of or worse have a spanner ricochet off something and nearly ding your car when the monkey gets the shits LOL
    Caesars shafted me on a KE25, and then phoned up 4 months later to ask if i wanted it.... says pretty accurately what i think of that joint.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I'm fitting superstrut calipers to my ae82 but now i wanna upgrade the master cylinder/brake booster i found one off a st185 4wd turbo does anyone know of another master cylinder/booster that gives in increased braking performance?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Master Cylinders need to be sized to the caliper pistons.

If you start mixing and matching parts, you will need to get the biased message.

Best place to start is to make sure your master cylinder is the same size as the one that your front calipers came from.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

The AE92 SX stock master cylinder is the perfect size for the Superstrut calipers. The main advantage of the superstruts is the larger diameter, bigger thickness and bigger pads.

The best combination for an AE82 (bolt up) is the Superstrut front calipers/ST185 discs and AE101 rear calipers/discs.

Built not Bought Grease Monkey Rosie's Avatar

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

considering you are only going for 150rwkw, 205 brakes are way overkill for the cost involved. Plus you are gonna have trouble getting 150+rwkw out of a 4agze. Even heavily worked gze's manage 130-140rwkw. a few examples here on the forums

At that amount of power a set of 185 fronts with standard 86+ rear would be ample for engineering and parents
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TooF
    realistically the stock items really do work a treat with good rotors and pads in them.
    alltho there is aparantly alot larger range of pad choice for the st185 and the disc is physicially larger which should help if the car is highly powered and repeatably has to pull up from high speeds which ive heard can be an issue. Altho having driven this setup with just the fronts upgraded i found the pedal travel was rather long and provided little feel i would assume a sw20 turbo master might correct this problem...?

Edit: Some people believe in aw11's that its better to have more braking in the rear as there is more weight there thus no need to upgrade the master. I personally feel that you would want about a 60-40 maybee even 65-35 front-rear bias as when you brake the weight of the car transferrs to the front of the car.
    Last edited by 4agte; 13-01-2007 at 01:12 AM.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

I would stay away from that rear conversion completely.
    You have to remember that engineering mods to a car in the UK is a LOT freer than here. I dunno how they can be so lax, or even if they have rules at all. The UK car I had over there early last year would've passed a rego inspection here for some things it failed on there, and passed on things it would've failed here
    Also, the hydraulic handbrake setup on the rear is not legal on any road going car at all in Oz.

For the fronts, if you're good enough with your brake supplier, you can get "blanks" of whatever disc. That way you get drilled whatever pattern you want. You should (well last time I checked anyway) be able to order DBA discs like this.

Also be aware that the 205 stuff is rarer than rocking horse crap here. Mine, I just happened to get very lucky with & it still needed modding despite the basics being correct (ie clamping bolt spacing & offset).
    That said, if you can find them, go for it I say. You can never have too big a brakes.