Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2jz into hilux

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Default 2jz into hilux

hi
    i have a v6 commodore motor for my hilux that after reading this forum for a while have decided it should have stayed in the commodore
    my question is i want to do a conversion that will make good power but be reliable also
    i want to also keep it manual
    so far i think my options are
    7mgte
    1jzgte
    2jzgte
    now after reading the forums i have noticed that 7mgte maybe has head gasket problems
    wondering if these can be fixed for good with a mhg and head studs ,this conversion would be easier because of the single turbo setup already
    1jzgte
    reading about the 1jz the power seems to be limited to maybe 200kw unless big dollars is spent on a single turbo setup and i think i have read that the single turbo setup is needed to go into a hilux (clear the clutch m cyl)
    2jz would also pose the same problems as the 1j but i believe the extra power would be good but would the cost be justfied over over the 7mgte
    also i have read that the 1jz comes in a single turbo setup with the vvti model
    are these super expensive/untuneable or any problems i may face
    just looking for some clear answers as searching brings up a lot of info of my mates brothers uncle put on in but im not sure what he used threads
    thanks
    Last edited by 2jzhilux; 18-08-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: hilux conversion

Quote Originally Posted by ecotechilux
    i have a v6 commodore motor for my hilux that after reading this forum for a while have decided it should have stayed in the commodore
    Haha, thats almost sig worthy!

As for what you should do, have a good read of what others have done with the hilux.

All will fit, but some easier than others.

To make the decision easier you need to outline your budget, and your plans for the car.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

a 1uz is an easier and smarter conversion.....good torque from the NA motor for towing etc too.

i would like a 1uz but after having many v8s in shit cars like commodores and falcons
    the idea of a turbo six has got me a little excited
    although i have driven a few soarers and think the motors are awesome they however seem to be a prick to work on
    budgeting around 8 to 10k
    i can do the majority of work myself but would like it to be a smooth conversion(yeah right)
    as it is my daily driver
    Last edited by 2jzhilux; 01-01-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

$8-10k might be just enough for a 2JZ-GTE conversion, if you're doing the work yourself and keep it auto. Manual is nicer but when you've got that much torque on tap the auto works just fine.

with the i6 route, theres a few things you need to think about - length being the main one.

I just put a commodore V6 in my YN57 and with a commodore radiator and electric fan (narrow VS type) it barely fits. I was originally going to fit a 7MGE, but after getting the tape out - there was no way itd fit without serious cutting/ shutting mods. The JZ's are also a long motor. I put an 10" extra fan on the front to allow me cooler aircon/ extra cooling if im towing something heavy, and this made it that the grille couldnt fit! moral of the story is think hard about your cooling system as the fans wont fit on the front of the rad with the aircon still there. Alternatively if you dont care for the aircon, youd need to cut the radiator panel out and still use the fans at the front, which with the gap there, you'd be lucky to fit two 10" fans.

then that still leaves the turbo debarkle, and it isnt like you have the room to move the motor forward for clearance....

some food for thought, maybe you should choose another car if you like the JZ's so much...

No offence, but wouldnt it be easier to fit a blower to that motor? Thatd give you enough squirt to get 13's at least....and you have to do fuck all mods to make it fit.

yeah i know what you are saying but this is going into an rn90 which has a bigger engine bay than a yn57
    i was planning to buy the pat gardener kit and fit the v6 but its a lot of money for the kit 1400 then another 400 for bcm simulator
    thats 1800 that could go towards a toyota front cut
    dont get me wrong i would love a v6 hilux but in the end after all the conversion hassel it would go just like a v6 commodore ute so i may as well buy one
    i may as well get the straight six with a bit of boost and then i am able to upgrade later if i feel the need to

also for a bit of fun down the drags /burnouts etc

norbie the thing that worries me about the auto is the wiring side of things
    are they hard to setup with shift patterns and stuff like that from the speed sensor
    with the standard ecu
    i would also like this to be engineered so the speedo/netural start switch will have to work
    what would be the best front cut to look for for the 2jzgte preferably rear sump
    Last edited by 2jzhilux; 18-08-2007 at 11:35 PM.

currently toyotaless Grease Monkey rn-85's Avatar

consider a vz or mz v6? the vz was a factory fitment in USA, and apparently the off road buggy boys get good turbo power without having to do much.. apparently being the operative word. have a look around, do some thinking.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is knowing a tomato has no place in a fruit salad.

yeah i know what you are saying but this is going into an rn90 which has a bigger engine bay than a yn57
    i was planning to buy the pat gardener kit and fit the v6 but its a lot of money for the kit 1400 then another 400 for bcm simulator
    thats 1800 that could go towards a toyota front cut
    dont get me wrong i would love a v6 hilux but in the end after all the conversion hassel it would go just like a v6 commodore ute so i may as well buy one
    i may as well get the straight six with a bit of boost and then i am able to upgrade later if i feel the need to

an insight into what im looking for from the conversion
    a commodore/falcon full of bogans sitting at the lights waiting to race me in my quiet neat looking hilux that sounds like a 4 cyl
    said bogan while sitting at the lights telling his mates in his car "look at this dickhead in his slow piece of shit" then casually skulls some more of his can of VB and lights another cigarette off the one he just about finished
    lights turn green.... the bogans and i take off from the lights....... goodbye bogans a hilux just beat your piece of shit .
    congratulations bogan you now look like a dickhead to all of your mates

also for a bit of fun down the drags /burnouts etc

are they hard to setup with shift patterns and stuff like that from the speed sensor
    with the standard ecu
    i would also like this to be engineered so the speedo/netural start switch will have to work
    what would be the best front cut to look for for the 2jzgte preferably rear sump
    the auto makes it no harder to wire up if you buy a 1/2 cut with the wires already there. supra half cut is your best bet. for a 2jz tho i hope you have a lazy $4500

with the standard ecu
    You don't have to set up anything, the shift patterns are inside the ECU which you don't touch. Quite a few people have put auto 2JZ's in various vehicles using the factory ECU and wiring, it's not that hard.

Your best bet is to get an Aristo front cut (cheaper than a Supra) then convert it to rear sump. The front sumps are highly sought after so you wouldn't have any problems finding someone willing to do a swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    You don't have to set up anything, the shift patterns are inside the ECU which you don't touch. Quite a few people have put auto 2JZ's in various vehicles using the factory ECU and wiring, it's not that hard.

Your best bet is to get an Aristo front cut (cheaper than a Supra) then convert it to rear sump. The front sumps are highly sought after so you wouldn't have any problems finding someone willing to do a swap.

for interests sake, what are aristo cuts going for nowadays? havent seen any in a while..

For a JZS147, typically $3.5-4k from what I've seen. There's a JZS161 engine/trans combo for sale at the moment for $4.5k including loom and ECU. More wiring hassles but the VVTi engines are truly awesome.

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

http://www.supratrucks.com/

This site is great for inspiration! 7M and 2JZ Tacomas/Hiluxs

Other options, 1G's have been done to death, 1JZ's as well.

that site is awesome
    it worries me that even the 7m with the block and head faced and a metal head gasket still blew
    i wonder if it would be worth doing the 7mgte and before putting it in tearing the motor down and putting forged pistons in and getting the block o ringed
    has anyone had any experiance how well o ringed blocks go
    or just go 2j auto sounds pretty good idea .can you get a single turbo version???
    this is just as bad as trying to decide what colour to paint a car...so many options
    the reason for doing this is it was time to trade in my car for a newer one so instead it will get a repower

i wonder if it would be worth doing the 7mgte and before putting it in tearing the motor down and putting forged pistons in and getting the block o ringed
    For the price of the above you could buy a 2JZ instead which needs none of that done.
    or just go 2j auto sounds pretty good idea .can you get a single turbo version???
    No, but there are eleventy billion single turbo kits available for the 2JZ. Very strong aftermarket for that engine.