Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2jz into hilux

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Default Re: 2jz into hilux

if you just need a spare motor i think your looking about 1800-2000

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

im i need of some help

im about to set up the fuel system on this hilux and want to do it properly the first time so i have room to upgrade

at the moment i have

1x bosch 044 external pump
    1x genuine toyota filter

q1 = i have read that i need a supply pump for the 044 what would be a good pump to buy ??

q2 = will the genuine filter flow enough fuel ?
    should i buy a performance one(wanky anodised one)

q3= should i put the filter before the external pump or after it?

q4= should i run 2 filters?1 before 1 after?

q5= how should i route the fuel lines (return into surge then top of surge to tank or return direct to tank)

q6= is it necessary to run steel line the whole way and then flexible to the engine or is it ok to run flexible efi hose like a commodore/falcon

q7 =anyone got links on how to tell a fake bosch pump from a real one(just want to confirm)

q8= what is a decent fuel pressure gauge do i need one
    should i run one ?

thanks

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

q1 = i have read that i need a supply pump for the 044 what would be a good pump to buy ?? --> I used the smaller in-tank Bosch lift pump from the VL.

--> I used the metal body Valvoline filter, one between the lift pump and the main pump, and one just before the end of the line going to the engine (so one before and one after).

q6= is it necessary to run steel line the whole way and then flexible to the engine or is it ok to run flexible efi hose like a commodore/falcon --> I bought all flexible hose from Supercheap and ditched all the metal lines. Much larger diameter than the metal lines, by far - about 3/8" I think. All OKed by engineer.

should i run one ? --> OK to run one but not essential. I have an autometer one still in the box if you're interested. PM me.

cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

q1 = i have read that i need a supply pump for the 044 what would be a good pump to buy ??

You need a pump to fill the surge tank, just a good brand low pressure pump is fine.

its more about the inlet and outlet size, if its a nice big filter, it should be fine.

you should have a filter between the lift pump and the surge tank - go for a low pressure carby type one, and then one between the 044 and the engine.

see 3

q5= how should i route the fuel lines (return into surge then top of surge to tank or return direct to tank)

return into surge, otherwise the 044 will empty the surgetank, it will outflow nearly any carb pump you get (unless you go *REALLY* silly)

q6= is it necessary to run steel line the whole way and then flexible to the engine or is it ok to run flexible efi hose like a commodore/falcon

Check with your engineer and the RTA - the ACT DMV didn't want me to use anything except steel. they have however accepted aluminium, and "should" accept fuel hose if you can route it were it can't get hit by stones or anything like that.

q7 =anyone got links on how to tell a fake bosch pump from a real one(just want to confirm)

nfi

should i run one ?

not if you are using the factory reg (which will struggle with the 044 i think) if you don't have to set it, you don't need to know what it is.

thanks[/QUOTE]

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Agree with above.

Q1: apparently Carter make good high volume, low pressure pumps. Pretty cheap too.

Q6: Personally, I would run steel all the way. I know for drag racing rules if fuel lines go anywhere near uni's or bell housing you are suppose to encase it in steel tubing and that is assuming that you are using metal lines already so I don't think any motorsport authorities would be that happy seeing flexible line the whole length of the car.

Q7: I seem to remember something about the colour box it was in? Both of my pumps were in Yellow boxes. Also, something about the part number determines where it was made. Just google it, should come up pretty easily

Q8: stock fuel reg should be fine and therefore, fuel pressure guage not really required. Personally, I would take the money you would have spent on a guage and put it towards a wideband o2 sensor. Hell of a lot more useful in determining fuellies issues plus can be used to tune your car whenever you want. $400-$500 is about the going rate AFAIK
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

Do a intank VL setup like in infotech has in his build thread .. it seems agood way about it.

personally i cant see an issue with the std filter

all setups (incl. mine) that Ive seen have the filter AFTER the pump ... dont want possible
    metal flakes from pump wear etc getting to the injectors etc.

Again what im used to is:
    Fuel Tank - Carby Style Filter - Lift Pump - Surge Tank - EFI Pump - EFI Filter - Engine

Various opinions on this. Some say send the warm engine fuel back to main tank to avoid heating the fuel. Others say your risking underfueling if you dont return to surge tank.

Ive heard of rubber being okay the whole length but personaly i went with metal to the engine bay.

should i run one ?

Dont need but it cant hurt to have one setup under the hood for when you go to diagnose potential issues further down the track.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Im about to start collecting parts to do a 1JZ + Auto into the family hack RN85, ive had some crazy dreams of our beater, dented 300,000km old hilux shooting past 3 lebs in a turbo R33 skyline...

Front or Rear sump needed?
    Stock Radiator ok?
    Converting Hilux from manual to Auto...what shifter can I use?
    Stock Twin turbo clear anything if im ditching the clutch master?
    Engine mounts...where\who\how? or is it a custom job?
    Fuel system (lift pump, surge tank, walbr0 265 external ok?)
    Difficulty of conversion? Compare it to something...
    Wiring (surely couldnt be that difficult for a pro?)

Cheers
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Im about to start collecting parts to do a 1JZ + Auto into the family hack RN85, ive had some crazy dreams of our beater, dented 300,000km old hilux shooting past 3 lebs in a turbo R33 skyline...

mine clocked over 409K on the way to work.

Front or Rear sump needed?

- modified not sure any stock one will fit?

Stock Radiator ok?

- not likely (just because there's no room)

Converting Hilux from manual to Auto...what shifter can I use?

get the gear out of an auto hilux. then mod the shift-rod.

Stock Twin turbo clear anything if im ditching the clutch master?\

- handbrake

Engine mounts...where\who\how? or is it a custom job?

- custom

Fuel system (lift pump, surge tank, walbr0 265 external ok?)

-sure

Difficulty of conversion? Compare it to something...

- you are putting a 720mm block into a 770mm hole and you also need a radiator in there.

Wiring (surely couldnt be that difficult for a pro?)

- get a full front cut and use all of that.. but a pro will still rape you dry.

please note my experience was 1j into YN57, so its likely to be slightly different.

modified sump...ok but which is better to start with and modify? front or rear?

also a YN57 would surely be quite different from an RN85?

also front cut is somewhat pointless yes?

seeing you cant use anything out of it as its a conversion not a swap?

the motor im looking at has a 100% complete and intact loom
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

this is my sump, came out of a soarer i believe.

not as much as you would think... eg in the US the engine series were one set ahead.

well - depending.. a matching engine, ecu, uncut loom, trans etc are essential.

+rep for your help SL666....its proven rather insightful
    Project Soarer II - Sold

I love my lux, but frankly it was a sh!ttin more work than everyone says it is.

you also need a 1j with the supra style water pump, if you are dropping the power steer and air con pumps you will need to get a late model windsor idler pulley, you need to get rid of the factory fan, and you will have to mount the thermo on the front of whatever radiator you use (i used an X2 excel radiator and one of the factory fans from the excel, had to make bracketing to locate it)

its also still bumpy to drive - its a commercial vehicle.. its not as fast as i'd hoped.. the seat of the pants-o-meter tells me its a high13 low 14 somewhere..

traction is not its friend, and it weights 1340kg post conversion.

I would put a 2JZGTE pump on the motor anyway, along with new belts, seals and gaskets...

power steer id like to keep, the car doesnt have AC so ill ditch that.

It has to remain a commercial vehicle as I want to use it to lug shit around and tow my soarer which it does with the 22R but i want more...im hoping traction will be easier to come by with the auto...if not then ill just keep upping the rubber size on the rear untill it is on that line of just the right amount of wheelspin to keep me entertained and still able to chop the odd skyline at the annual TLGP...
    Project Soarer II - Sold

good plan.

you might have trouble with a belt setup like that, might have to make up an idler to go in place of the air con.

it won't come close to being heavy enough to legally tow your soarer.. if thats a concern for you..

i run sporty 225's and it can fry them at will if you want, but still gets off the line okay, the auto certainly helps, as did the lower softer springs, its now not as deadly in the wet (it was fricken rediculous before that) but will still light the tires at 80 if you jump on it too hard.

you also need to find somewhere for the cooler if you are going sleeper..

the 2.7L thing (forgets engine designation) should go close to bolting in (i think it was in that model in the us) and give you a hell of a lot more room.. if you were staying manual i'd consider that..

the 1J is a big engine and heavy too.. noticibly heavier in the front.

(im not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to think of all the goods and bads i've encountered)

if you run the 1j supra auto you can use the factory speedo cable otherwise you will have to convert to electronic speedo, but unless you have the matching ECU, you will need buggerise around like we had to forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2gekgsqAwM

its a lot of fun though.

there's a couple of vids of it running the hillclimb at wakefield too.