Thread: EF/EL XR Falcon Front & rear disc brakes on a Hilux 2WD ??

Forum Member

Question EF/EL XR Falcon Front & rear disc brakes on a Hilux 2WD ??

Hey all, I'm thinking of putting a set of EF/EL XR6disk brakes on both the front and rear of my project Hilux as I am also re-powering it with a 1G-GZE with stage 2 NOS...need to upgrade brakes on the Hilux and I figured since they are the same stud patten as Ford why not look at using the EF/EL XR as I have a full set there???

Has anyone done this type of conversion (I also have the brake booster but Not using the Ford ABS unit)..???? can anyone HELP me out with any idea's?????

Thanks,

ICELUX....
    All is good and well in the cold...

Daily Drive: 120 Series 6 Speed Manual Prado (Black) Project 1:1989 Hilux Single Cab (1G-GZE - 5 Speed) Project 2: 1986 VL Commodore HDT LE (plate No 001)

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: EF/EL XR Falcon Front & rear disc brakes on a Hilux 2WD ??

when you say stud pattern, are you talking about the mounting bolts on the calipers or the disks? the reason i ask is that the stud pattern on the hub-face/disks has got nothing to do with attaching the calipers.

Also, what model hilux?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Forum Member

Question Re: EF/EL XR Falcon Front & rear disc brakes on a Hilux 2WD ??

it's a 89 mod...2WD what I was looking at is I can either put the brake setup on the Hilux Diff or just Mod the EF/EL XR6 one I have there...with the front ..well thats another story it will take to be mounted on the current hilux Hubs, and somehow addapting the XR calipers to fit on the stub axel etc...any concussions???

Daily Drive: 120 Series 6 Speed Manual Prado (Black) Project 1:1989 Hilux Single Cab (1G-GZE - 5 Speed) Project 2: 1986 VL Commodore HDT LE (plate No 001)

Unbiased Grease Monkey Earlyrolla's Avatar

Rears - not sure of the EF\EL but on the EA\EB falcons the caliper mounts into an alloy bracket that bolts to the axle flange. The bracket makes up part of the caliper that supports the pads. Converting it to the Hilux diff would be a complete pain in the *&(%. My suggestion would be to look into the disc brake conversions from other Toyotas that people have already done. Persoanlly I used JZZ30 Soarer brakes front and rear on my Celica. The backing plate needed the centre machined out a little and few other minor mods plus new brackets for the calipers and custom handbrake cables. I believe there is an easier conversion again off an MA70(?).

Fronts - again not sure of the EF\EL but all previous falcons the disc is part of the hub and the way the calipers are mounted do not lend easily to using them on conversions! I haven't done it before but I believe there are four piston calipers (4wd Hilux or Landcruiser) that can be used with a ventilated disc to give you a better front brake package.

You will need too becareful of correctly matching the master cylinder when mixing and matching front and rear calipers.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

check out this thread it will help
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16302

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

r32 r33 nissan calipers bolt on with minimal mods
    20mm spacer for caliper ad it bolts on
    then machine hub down to slide nissan disc on
    then get custom brake lines and yr done

not sure about rear but most of the time the rears are not important unless you drive like a fukwit

pedal feels ok after this is done but if you had slightly bigger master it would feel perfect

another thing is i r\have tried 3 different brands of pads on front

best ones i found for street is bendix ultimates cant go wrong with these for cold and hot braking

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Could be done, but WHY the hell put such crap brakes on when you can use Nissan bits as suggested?

Forum Member

Exclamation Re: EF/EL XR Falcon Front & rear disc brakes on a Hilux 2WD ??

I was just looking at it as I have the XR brake setup already..no spending big money on the Nissan setup...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

i put xf discs on my 81 hilux and basically had to mdify the shit out of everything to get them on i had to machine 2 aluminium rings cut the old caliper mounts and tig them onto it in the right spot was a bit of a nightmare lucky have a mate who is an engineer who did it for me

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

For what it's worth, here's what I know:

EF/EL Front brakes are exactly the same as EA-ED front brakes, and the pads at least (and I presume the rest of the brake setup) is the same as AU1
    XF front brakes are totally different to E series, but are the same right back to XA (Some used PBR Calipers, others used Girlocks, but they bolt up the same)
    XF front rotors are the same diameter as E series front rotors
    EF/EL use an internal drum style handbrake, whereas on EA-ED the cable actuates the caliper
    XF rear discs are similar to EA-ED but not quite the same

That's the Ford information I know, now I'll move on to the Toyota stuff

All Landcrusiers I have seen have bloody HUGE brakes, like 4 piston calipers and stuff. If you could make these fit, it would pull up on a 10 cent peice, However I think the issue you may have here is, the calipers will hit the wheels, need big wheels like at least 16", probably 17 or 18", and IMHO, they look crap on a 2WD Hilux (would give it the minitruck look, not a fan of that).
    What about looking at some brakes from some other Big toyotas, like maybe Cressidas or Crowns? Even something like a Lexus LS400? Brakes off something like that might be suitable.

Just my 2c,

Gab