Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4AGZE into a TA22

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

Default 4AGZE into a TA22

Hi,
    A couple of people have requested info on the TA22/4AGZE. here is what I wrote on the old forums (with some editing). Any questions just ask. I'll throw some pics up after Christmas as my bro will be around with his digi cam.

1. Get your engine (duh)

Make sure it runs, has a warranty, etc. Placing a dud engine in your car would lead to murderous impulses no doubt.

2. Get a Sprinter T50. Oz spec ones have clutch fork on passenger side. Get a Jap one if you can. Get the bearing that goes in the gearbox. Cut the floor so the shifter will go
    through.

Collect all of this, and get a 4AGE FWD flywheel, and the appropriate clutch for it. This will be either 200 or 212 mm depending on the flywheel you get. The bigger one is better. The clutch will depend on what you want. I choose an Exedy Extreme clutch with an upgraded pressure plate and higher temperature friction material. You might want a brass button version, it's up to you. Do this before you start the conversion. Speak to other Toymodders about the clutch, and there experiences with these.

If you have the money just put a Supra (W series) gearbox in with one of the aftermarket bellhousings.

3. I used Sprinter engine mounts, and the standard cross-member mounts

Get the Sprinter engine mounts before the conversion. I wouldn't pay more than $60 for them. One of the more "reputable" import yards here in Hobart wanted $200 for them. They are $212 new from Toyota.

4. The standard mounts will have to be cut of the cross member, and cut till they line up to the Sprinter engine mounts and the cross member. Engine was in and out 6 or seven times for this

This will obviously be performed when your car is off the road.
    You will find that the Spinter engine mounts don't fit properly because of the supercharger. There is a support bar that we bent by placing a large piece of steel tubing around it and gently bending. You'll understand if you have one of these engines what I mean.

5. I have a AW11 4AGZE, and they have the heater outlet pointing straight out of the back of the head. It's about 15cm long. You'll need to purchase one of the outlest used by Sprinters with 4AGE's in them.

Get this along with radiator and the inter-cooler pipe mods done all at once at a radiator shop. You will have to borrow a car because your radiator will be out of the car....

6. The thermostat sits near the supercharger. I used the FWD thermostat.

Take some measurements of the hose lengths you need, and buy it before the conversion. It would help to get some 90 and 180 degree metal bend pipes to aid in hooking up all the water inlets/outlets. You could have the whole system almost pre-made before you put it into your car. Take it all off before you put the engine in though!

The thermostat ended up near the steering box for me.

7. Radiator outlets are on the opposite side. Either have them switched over, or run some hoses across the front of the engine to the standard radiator outlets. I would get the hoses switched over, and get it rebuilt if you want a better set-up.

I ended up going a customer Pulsar radiator core that was triple cored. I had my original mounts placed on the radiator and it all bolted back in... The radiator is about the same height, but is 6.5cm wider. If you look at the standard radiator holes on the drivers side yu'll notice another set of holes 6.5 cm further out... Also used a 12 inch Craig Davies thermo fan.

8. Get the tailshaft shortened/lengthened

Yes, I still haven't got his done... The engine has only been in the car for more than 3 years....

9. Get a nice big exhaust fitted. I collect my car from the exhaust shop on Saturday, with a nice 2.5" mandrel bent system with a muffler and resonator. Get your intercooler piping done now as well (If your going to run a front mount).

I'm using 7MGTE intercoler as the piping can be kept VERY short this way. Both inlet and outlet are on the drivers side.

Get this done after you have put the engine in.

10. Do your fuel system. I'm just running a VL external fuel pump. If I suffer fuel starvation, then I'll get some baffles put in the fuel tank.

Buy the pump and what ever lines etc you want before the conversion. Speak to the guys who are going to help you out. They should sent you in the right direction.

11. Wire the computer. I'm using the factory ECU. Most of the wiring is done. I'm just so lazy and padantic with getting right first time.

12. Hook up a boost gauge if you want. I have used the clock as my gauge "holder". A little bit of file work and it fits nicely. There is also a power line used for the clock conveniantly placed there. You'll be aqble to impress passengers at night with your lit-up boost gauge

13. Cry with frustration as the expenses keep mounting, and the money runs out.

Trust me, this will happen. Alternatively you could swear, punch a boxing bag, or get drunk (cheap wine, you are broke after all).

14. Replace all of the hoses and the timing belt. Also do the rear main seals.

Buy these before the conversion. Just buy the genuine Toyota parts. Get a filter and plugs, plug leads if you need them. And things like degreaser, engine oil, gearbox oil, strong hand cleaning "soap", chux, rags, Karcher to clean the engine bay, some rope (used it to line the g'box up with the new engine mounts), file, angle grinder, welding gear, tools, etc.

15. Put a Big pulley on . Replace the key whilst you're at it.

The key is a Toyota part that costs a couple of dollars.
    The pulley that I have is an Nevo 175mm pulley. You will also need a crank "puller". It helps you take the old crank pulley off.

Rough costing for this.

Engine- $1900 and $250 freight
    gearbox- $250
    clutch- $310
    flywheel- $50
    flywheel machined- $20
    spigot bearing, timing belt and crank key- $40
    RWD exhaust manifold- $150 + $20 freight
    fuel pump (VL or Bosch)- $220 (I got mine for $100 brand new
    fuel lines- $50 so far
    2.5" exhaust with resonator and muffler- $300
    radiator hoses, clamps, bends etc- $100
    radiator mods and rebuild $370
    Craig Davies 12" thermo $147
    trailer hire to move my car- $35 (moved the car 3 times so far, $105)
    fuel for using my mates car to tow- $50 odd
    Brother and Uncle- $300 odd (My bro needed money to buy a car)
    Intercooler mods and install- $100
    Tailshaft- This hasn't been done yet ($250 odd???)
    transport inspection- $70
    Filter- yet to buy ($100 odd). It'll be a K & N one most likely.
    Boost gauge- $50

Forgot these-
    Need afuel filter- $30 odd?
    New oil $45
    Spark plugs-$13
    Plug leads- $34
    Cleaning stuff- $40 odd
    You'll also have to get new shocks and springs. This will be at least $600. Mine cost $640.
    New front brakes. Well I think the Peugeot/Hilux set-up costs $800 odd. Someone will have to confirm that though. I've got RA60 struts for the front with 10" vented disks and single piston calipers.
    The boost gauge is not essential, but if you've got it, flaunt it .
    You may have to replace some bushes and the like. Say $150 odd.
    Emotional heartbreak ant anger and frustration. Say 2 years from your life .

These cheap "engine/gearbox/loom" are quite deceiving aren't they....
    When my baby starts for the first time, I will forgive her for all the grief... It is a labour of love after all.
    Have I forgotten anything??? Anyone think of more costs?

If I did this again I would put either a CA18DET or an SR20DET in it.

Luckily I've purchased a Previa SC14 so me Celica will never have a Nissan heart!!!! Twin charging will probably follow via an EBay manifold simply blowing into the T/B as a couple of forum members have done.

Any more info etc just PM okay?

Cheers

PS Pictures will comw over the next 3 days. Hopeful most will be up end of Boxing Day.
    [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf / || echo "You live"
    The software required Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.
    4AGZE into TA22 http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16775
    1JZ powered RA60 https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/th...light=1jz+ra60

Default Re: 4AGZE into a TA22

The engine mounts

Passenger side

Driver side

Room from the back of the head

Random radiator pics

Passenger side using the standard holes and standard radiaor tabs.

Drivers side using the standard holes and standard radiaor tabs. Notice how I've cut the bottom portion to fit the intercooler pipes. The hole used at top is the factory hole 6.5cm to the side of the original.

Picture with 12" of Craig Davies finest

Notice the radiators extra width in this picture.

Picture of the thermostat housing sitting above and slightly to the side of the steering box.

Picture from the front of the car. Please note the twin swaybar setup. Very cheap...

Pictures of the intercooler. The intercooler is from a 7MGTE, with the outlets slightly tweaked and the most of the brackets taken off.

I managed to connect the blower outlet and the inlet pipe with a piece of rubber hose. I've got my mate at Autobahnn chasing up a long (8" silicone hose).

The performance goodies

Nevo 175 mm pulley

Standard 4AGE RWD exhaust manifold

Long 1 3/4" secondaries into 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust

2.5 muffler. One of my friends thought it was 2" when he first noticed it. Way to many cannons running around I think...

Previa SC14 No turbo for this car (Disclaimer: Until I get bored and decide to strap a stupidly large turbocharger to go with the supercharger goodness )

Some modified inlets. The cam cover is being modified as the inlet hits the breather.

Location of T50 shifter, I had to cut around 3 cm from the top of the transmission tunnel.

Also notice the convenient replacement of the clock with a boost gauge. Fitted like a charm (with a minute or two of gentle filing).

Bumble Bee Cross Backyard Mechanic sleepin22's Avatar

do it. u know u want an sr20 in there do like i did. cross to the other side. You'll never look bak

This is one of the engine's I am considering dropping in the 25. How crazy can you go on the charger? power figures and cost to achieve them etc??

Junior Member Grease Monkey

"managed to connect the blower outlet and the inlet pipe with a piece of rubber hose. I've got my mate at Autobahnn chasing up a long (8" silicone hose)."
    if your down hobart way, then goto 'purple pig' in moonah, they have silicone hose cut to length, its around $3 an inch i think
    -Jake

Forum Member

Nice work Val

Like Sleepin I too will be coming across this conversion at some stage (already have ZE, SC14 & VR4 FMIC waiting)..... but thats after I get bored of the bluetop in my KE25 now.

Will keep a keen eye on how things workout for you

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

sr20=goodness and cheap parts
    but cutting floorpan for shifter= sad panda

val is yours engineered? cos if so i will have no worries with my welds but yeah i think in hindsight i shoulda gone either sr or ca.... but meh
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Hi Skidz,
    I've spoken to an engineer and everythng I've done is fine. I only cut a couple of centremetres in the tranny tunnel.

A CA18DET or SR20DET conversion would have been easier, but then my car would have a Nissan engine in it......

Cheers

Got your ute back Nath Grease Monkey 75Ta22LT's Avatar

I considered the SR20/CA18 options, but the know how just isn't out there.

Ended up buying a ratshit body with nicely worked 4age (high comp, 300deg cams, twinthroat 42 dcoe's) and am currently in the process of ripping the 2T out to drop the 4A into my good shell.

Bit perplexed as to the engine mounts though, it looks as though this one had the 2T mounts modified to suit the 4a, I'll be following Val and replacing them with the ae86 mounts.

Cheers dude, this thread does help!

broom broom Automotive Encyclopaedia poida's Avatar

Useful thread mate. Any updates?

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poida
    Useful thread mate. Any updates?
    I concur,give this guy some rep FFS
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au