Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AE86 Race Car Engine Options?

Forum Member

Default AE86 Race Car Engine Options?

hey guys...

early next year my partner in crime and i are to be building a ae86 drift/hill climber...

we're just starting to get as much information as we can on different motors and engine set ups as we can?

the shell that we have has the standard 16v 4age motor with around 400,000 on the clock? pretty much cooked? only good driving in and out of the driveway really? unfortunately we're not looking for a turbo motor setup!

we were looking at either re-building the stock motor and race preping it to have a n/a motor...

or

heading down the road of a 4agze combination? obviously more power? but are there any difficulties with engine parts and/or fitting? now i'm sure this has been done to death? but if anyone has put one of these motors into an ae86 could you please shed some light on me!

as we're located in melbourne, if anyone could recomend a work shop that can help us out that would be greatly appreciated?

thanks in advance!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic haison's Avatar

Default Re: AE86 Race Car Engine Options?

Have a look into 20V setups, for race applications they're probably the best bang for buck.

As for a workshop what kind of work will you need them to do? If mainly machining work try CWs (also trades under Top Torque). They're a lil more expensive but they do a good job.
    1984 MA61 - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12340
    1972 RT81 - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24160
    RObErT_RaTh - I think it's fair to say we all love the bush
    Viper_Nipplex - If bush is this popular, just wait until the boxes are ready

Forum Member

thanks for you help mate!

as for the workshops, we're after the actual motor being stripped down and re-built and then fitted? basically to do the transplant as we dont that that sort of equipment?

everything else we can do outselves?

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

a beams 3sge is different...210hp, 2 litre - = fun in ae86 and bye bye 4a's!!

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas

i second that.

That would really bring the ae to life

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

a stock 2ZZ-GE will put out 190hp and also weighs 60kg less then the 3S-GE BEAMS engine... plus is only 1.8L

EDIT: it should also mate well to the flywheel/clutch/g-box and bellhousing from the 4A as well.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

yeah the beams 3sge would go nicely, but I think for something a little nwer and different you cant go wrong with the 2Z

Meridian Motorsport woul;d be worth chatting to if nothing else, they're in Moorabbin. do lots of toyota and 4ag etc work. Great rep too from all accounts
    formerly GTI-TRD now coming at you with 4WD turbo power!
    NZJDM coming soon - pm your JDM requirements

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

the ultimate would be that 3VZ thing, or one of those alloy V6er from a camry..

and yea i just got in touch with my mate in vic, he's still looking for a suitable engine to go with it..

or.. even 1UZ... in the race world practicality is thrown out the window eh..

2JZ.. hmm.. doable but is it really trackable? 2JZ + AE86 tends to be more of a drag thing eh?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas

Meh, maybe.
    Mine is an automatic I know, but it doesn't feel faster than the ~185hp 4AGE I built a few years ago and ran in the car.
    No doubt a manual Gen4/5 3SGE would a bit nicer for performance though.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

i would stay well away from a V6. the camry V6s are horrible for performance.
    plus they are too heavy

same for the 1uz, unless you want to chop ya firewall they sit too high and forward for a track car.
    mate of mine looked at it, but binned it in favour of a formula atlantic engine, a real one!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice WeekendWarrior's Avatar

hey mate thers a shop in sydney called icheban and they have a fixed price for complete engine+wiring+computer no gearbox for $995.00inc gst 20v silver top motors i think that would be ur best go as they are about 125 hp std and the off the shelf parts u can get for them are excellent. hill climbing if u were going to go down the forced induction road i would recommend the 4agze i can garuntee u will stomp all over evry one with either the 20v silvertop 4age or the 4agze or if u chucked a set of low comp forgies in the 20v and strengthen up the bottom end a bit set a supercharger up on that.it would be the quickest hillclimber around. i would steer clear of an engine conversion like a 6 or an 8 into the engine bay as there would be loss of balance and the car would understeer like a champion as there would be to much momentum at the front

hope this helps

ps the company i work for is a distributor for ROCKET INDUSTRIES so if theres anything u need toymods members get discounts
    - Project "BILLYGOAT" the ta22 found on the edge of a hill

BEARCON All your construction needs 67 624580

THE CELICA SHOP COMING SOON

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jonny Rochester's Avatar

In this age of motor swaps, I think original motors have more appeal, plus I don't want to see another AE86 cut and modifyed too much. If I was to come across to your car at a hill climb/drift event and saw you had the bonnet open, what would really light up my eyes? It would be that same 16v 4A-GE, 100% AE86, only rebuilt with big cams ~290-300deg, adjustable cam gears, quad throttles off a 20v if you want, tuned length extractors etc. Then a 2 way LSD and driven with conviction using all of the rpms. That's what I want to see.

I went with a 20 valve, takes a bit more sorting out. It's a good one if you don't want to rebuild right away.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic strat's Avatar

3S is the go iv put one in my RA40, but iv been thinking if yo wana go atmo wat about a RAV 4 motor i think they are 3S and they have VVTI so it would be revvy as big power ban good for slide. just a thought.
    S.M.R
    There is a method in the madness

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Revhead
    i would stay well away from a V6. the camry V6s are horrible for performance.
    plus they are too heavy

same for the 1uz, unless you want to chop ya firewall they sit too high and forward for a track car.
    mate of mine looked at it, but binned it in favour of a formula atlantic engine, a real one!
    torque from low revs, high rev capable (7000 rpms out of a V6) and an all alloy engine that weighs as much as a 4 banger with cast iron block says otherwise.. they weighed the engines and reckon the weight difference is managable.. another reason they're going V6 is coz they reckon they can fit it in without firewall modification.. i hope it gets done so i can get pics to show

a real formula atlantic engine? wow.. that's like finding kryptonite.. where did ur mate get it?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

back into it Chief Engine Builder

You can get a formula atlantic engine if you dont mind forking out the $20k plus for a secondhand engine a new one would be well over $50k to build.