Thread: Power window upgrade

Diserter Domestic Engineer

Default Power window upgrade

I'll start off with, if this has been covered in another thread could someone please redirrect me, I couldn't find anything definitive with the search function.

I'm looking to upgrade to Power windows in the RA28 and I want to know what peoples thoughts are on the options.

Option 1: Universal power windows kit from jaycar, basically it bolts on under the door card and then is attached to the window winder and uses all the same window rails.

Option 2: cut the door apart and replace the standard window winder with a motorised one, but from which car? and seems like a lot of work, although it would at least be done right!

My main questions are on the quality of the universal units if anyone has used them, I dont want to wait 30 mins for the windows to close and on the second option, what motor system works with the ra28 runners?

Thanks and again if its been covered some dirrection will help.

Nick

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Default Re: Power window upgrade

I've got a power window kit in the back of my RA23, it works ok but still needs some work I feel. I'm waiting until its on the road before getting it sorted, as I've just been testing the windows from a 12V battery, rather than power from the alternator. When I power both windows they slow significantly, so I want to see what it is like with the engine running.

Make sure that your runners are as smooth as brand new, otherwise the windows will clunk/struggle etc... If you have trouble winding them, sticky spots, etc... then the power windows will be even worse.

There was a site floating around that covered installing power window motors from X toyota into a 22/23. Can't remember it off the top of my head though sorry, however I know it did involve a little bit of cutting and welding.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

yes the windows will allways go slower without the engine, even on idle winding up 2 windows will be slow, and giving it some revs will speed them up significantly.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

could try retrofitting winders/rails/etc from an mx62/mx73 or something along those lines, maybe a crown of the same vintage ?

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Electric windows into an RA28, by Wayne Stephenson:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...lectricWindows

It may be of some help.

Cheers,
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

I might try that idea bnicho, but I'm looking at the photos and trying figure out why he didn't just mount the motor/gear unit from the RA40 onto the RA28 winders. Anyone else notice that?

Nick

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

Was gunna post up Stepho's gear.

I think you'll find that the frame supporting the glass has different mounting
    and sliding movements that wont work in the 28 door shell.

Although unconfirmed ... i mayhave to buy something from pickies and have a try ..

ive got spare doors to try it on.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

I ment use the origonal window rails etc, just bolt the motor to the geared arm. it looks like a strait swap from the photos. I'll give it a shot once my engine bay is sorted.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

the ra40 mechanism is a single arm whereas the ra28 is a scissor arrangement, i wasn't able to pull the mechanism out of the door on the 28 before i gave it to a mate to store so i couldn't get the dimensions for you.
    i did what brett_celicacoupe did to his windows on our ra40's the premise would be exactly the same though for the 28. and that is to use am mx62 window mechanism and weld it to mesh to the teeth of the winder mechanism on the window.
    The thread is on the old forums...hold on a sec.....
    maybe a little longer than a sec....
    still looking....
    crap it's there somewere....
    far out, you better appreciate this...
    argh it was much smaller than i remember....
    http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...t=0#msg_376270
    he actually sent me a word document tutorial of this, i still have it somewhere, so if i find it i will post it up, aternatively you could ask him if he still has it

but there was a discussion on here a little while ago also, lets see how i go with that link...
    woot much better luck this time.
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5435

after reading everyones views on the universal I think I mite save my time for much needed other repairs and use them instead.

Thanks!

Nick/

Just keep an eye out for a good deal on ebay. I know there is a member of these forums who sells the universal kits on ebay, claiming they are for "Classic Celica's" at ridiculously inflated prices. In some of the threads linked above, he even mentioned to someone to buy one of the ebay ones, but does not allude to the fact that they are actually his auctions.

I don't want to start any negativity between forum members, but it is a little dissapointing that an enthusiast would try to rip off other classic celica owners by making it seem as if these kits are specifically for 1st gens. You should be able to find a four door kit for around $150. There don't seem to be any up at the moment, but give it a few weeks until after xmas and see what comes up.
    Last edited by Major Clod; 27-12-2006 at 01:43 PM.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

BLUE WIRE sells them on ebay,,,,,hes also on this forum...

blake

yeah but I thought he sold them at reasonable prices, around $99 or $120 for 2 door and $150 for 4 door.