Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Well we tried kicking it over tonight!

It's got spark, it's getting fuel (fuel pump is working, we heard the gas come up the line and into the fuel rail. It's got ignition but just won't kick into life?

Battery is strong (charged it all night), lights work, have dash lights, volts, oil, alternator.

On the auto plugs (there's 4 on the passenger side labelled Auto Plugs A, B, C and D in Bullfrog's spreadsheet) we have shorted out pins 2 and 3 on Plug D - without these shorted nothing happens when you turn the key! None of the others are connected to anything as I assumed they were all for the auto gearbox control (cruise, shift etc)

Can anyone shed any light?

Tomorrow we will test the injectors.

I can feel we're almost there, yet so far

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 06-03-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Typos
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Bullfrog's Avatar

Pete,

its nearly there ill go thought the paper work again and have a look for you now will email you if i come up with anything.

Ads
    Hilux RN110

1G-GZE Gen 3 Conversion currently underway

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

I hate it when all that work, you go to start it up.. and nothing!

Ah well, will get there soon.

Good Luck

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

IGG-22E is alive! Woot! Woot!

Well, after my spirits sank to their lowest ebb last night after trying until almost midnight (with the assistance of Bullfrog via MSN - cheers mate you were an inspiration) to fire the bugger up without success, my friend Bob and I had another crack at it this afternoon.

We had spark - tested okay; we had the fuel pump running - okay, and we used some test lights to check the injectors - okay:

So what was wrong. We checked the fuel pump again and for some reason it no longer had power.

So we checked the wiring schematics (again thanks to Bullfrog) and thought we needed a wire that was currently going nowhere. We connected it via a temporary jumper wire (with alligator clips at both ends) but still it cranked but wouldn't kick over. It was almost like it was struggling for fuel (hint hint ) The alligator clip is the pink wire with the green ends.

I know it looks untidy but at this point in time it was gonna do!

So we undid the cold start injector and lo and behold it wasn't getting fuel. So I suppose any experienced Toymodder reading this has guessed what was wrong ...

We checked the fuel lines - they were around the wrong way. My bad

so Bob swapped them over ... and we hit the key ...

BINGO. After building up pressure for about 20 seconds she burst into life...

There's something about the sound of an engine with no exhaust on it that is sweet to the ears.

The relief on my face was obvious.

That's Bob on the right (and obviously me on the left!)

The engine sounded very strong and now it's time to tidy everything up, and start putting things back in place ready for the exhaust.

I am so relieved that we have finally achieved success. It's been a long journey!

Thanks to everyone on Toymods for their support and encouragement - it is not the end, just another beginning.

Cheers,

Peter

Woo!!

Its been a good day alround!!

Now if only i could get the bank to give me another $800 tonight so that i can get the money to get the lux tonight!
    Member's ride thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    Now if only i could get the bank to give me another $800 tonight so that i can get the money to get the lux tonight!
    Woo Hilux now out the front!!

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Congrats to both of you
    I'm just glad I survived to payday and now don't have to wonder how I will pay for lunch.
    (I overspent on the car last pay )
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

congratulations on getting it running
    you have also had some awesome rightups along the way that no doubt a lot of us hilux converters will be using
    thankyou

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

There's definately a few posts that I'll be using thanks for all the great info
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

It ain't over yet dudes!

On Friday afternoon I removed my Lux axles and took them to my good friends at Western Brake and Steering to have the backing plates removed in preparation for the Supra rear disc conversion. I also bought a couple of complete wheel bearing kits from Bearing Industries at Seven Hills ($35 ea inc GST) that includes all outer and inner bearings, seals and circlips.

On Saturday I permanently installed the battery using the usual hook and nut clamps. This allowed me to setup the stereo, the Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller and the lighting system/indicators etc.

I got to work cleaning up all the wiring too. That took the best part of half a day including installing the Tekonsha EBC for my trailer. All the wiring for the rear including the trailer had to be cleaned up and re-wrapped.

And here's the rear passenger door installed. This took a couple of hours in itself as the parts have to be installed in a set pattern, and adjusted to make sure everything works smoothly.

I also installed braided brake lines for the rear.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 11-03-2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added photos

Forum Member

Peter;

Hats off to you, mate. I've just finished reading all the pages in one hit (busy day at work ) and this is a fantastic effort.

Now, I wonder how my Mrs is going to feel about another project in the garage?!

Cheers, mate, and all the best.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rick'o
    Peter;

Hats off to you, mate. I've just finished reading all the pages in one hit (busy day at work ) and this is a fantastic effort.

Now, I wonder how my Mrs is going to feel about another project in the garage?!

Cheers, mate, and all the best.

Rick
    Thanks dude. The next part of the project is the exhaust system. I just finished the MA70 brake upgrade (see my other conversion thread for details).

Cheers,

Peter

With the rear brake upgrade basically out of the way, the next part of the project will be the exhaust system.

After discussing my project with my exhaust shop I have decided to go with a 2 1/4" system. The Lux is my tow vehicle so I need low down torque, and a free-flowing 2 1/4" system should fit in nicely with that.

So today we went out to Pick'n'Payless and grabbed a cat from a VN Commodore, as well as the flanges. Cost was $75.

This cat is 2 1/4" which is good. Easier still was someone had already done most of the work in removing it. I used a hacksaw to cut the flanges off, and then at home used my cut-off saw to trim them down.

You have to be careful in choosing a used cat as the first two we saw had all their insides smashed through, making them useless for legal road use. This one was in good nick, with the screens on both sides intact.

The Lukey offset muffler I picked up a while ago, along with the chrome tip.

Here's the flanges trimmed down and cleaned up, and the chromed tip shortened and test fitted:

My plan is to have the exhaust shop supply 2 1/4" pipe bent to shape, and then I will join everything up using the flanges, cat and muffler.

Cheers,

Peter

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

pete, another idea is to get mandrel bends from the exhaust shop and weld em together yourself. thats what i've done thus far with my exhausts...

Quote Originally Posted by Grega
    pete, another idea is to get mandrel bends from the exhaust shop and weld em together yourself. thats what i've done thus far with my exhausts...
    Can you buy bends pre-fabbed? Eg.90 deg. I am thinking of buying some 2 1/4" mild steel tubing and cutting it to fit, then getting the exhaust shop to flare the ends ready for welding.

Today I stripped all the brackets and hangers off the old system, and test fitted the muffler and cat where the old muffler and cat lived.

Is there an legal requirement re: how the exhaust hangs? Eg. The old system ran over the axle. Do I have to follow this route?

The other complication is moving the exhaust from the driver's side to the passenger side (as the original was fully on the passenger's side). How should I plan this so I don't run foul of the law?

Cheers,

Peter