Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

This is Obie, my offsider. He's a great help. He tells me when its 2:30pm. That's his dinner time. He's accurate within a couple of minutes.

This photo shows the water pipe at the driver's side rear of the engine (slightly obscured) that you need to bend forward to clear the firewall.

And this is how much room you have at the back of the 1GGZE when its installed. Tight but doable with extension bars and swivel sockets when putting in the bellhousing bolts. In fact, a lot easier than I initially thought.

More photos of the 1GGZE installed:

Test fitting the radiator and aligning the radiator upper and lower hoses.

Engine mounts are a combination of 3Y and original 22R plus a 10mm spacer. Later I added another 2mm spacer to clear the power steering unit.

Here'a view from underneath the car with everything bolted up.

The gearlever shifted to the driver's side slightly, which meant having to drop the gearbox to install the back two lever bolts. Another option is to cut small recesses in the floor. I went with the easier and less obtrusive of the two options. Lever action is not affected.

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 14-11-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Another view of the 1GGZE installed. The coolant reservoir is fed from the radiator by a looping hose that I've cable tied in strategic locations (to the upper radiator hose and the engine hook on the passenger side).

Upper radiator hose was sourced from Pick 'n' Payless out of another Toyota - Corona I think. It was joined by a T-pipe for the Water Temperature gauge sender and hose clamps. Lower hose is a combo of Holden Camira U-bend utilising a joining pipe and another Corona pipe. Scouring the Pick 'n' Payless yard for suitable hoses will usually get you something that will work.

This is another view of the 10" thermo fan installed. I will be using one of Sideshow's controller units.

Even though this photo suggests there is a fair amount of clearance between the fan and the engine, it's deceiving. This was about the only place on the radiator that didn't come in contact with the engine pulleys. The 12" fan would not have given any clearance in my opinion but the nice thing about buying from Supercheap Auto is that you can try the 12" in your setup and if it doesn't fit swap it for the 10".

http://spw.starkie.net/index.php?categoryid=9

Coolant reservoir has been reinstalled in the original position, and the battery will fit just behind it on a custom plate.

Brake booster and clutch master have all lines reinstalled.

That's my original Hilux accelerator cable in the photo which I swapped out for one from a Toyota Crown 7M-GE. I tried another Hilux one (earlier model) but it had the wrong setup at the throttle body. The new one has a small amount of slack so if anyone knows of a better fit please let me know.

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 14-11-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Additional info

Here is a photo with the airconditioning installed. I used the original piping but had to slightly modify the connectors to fit onto the 1GGZE air con unit. This involved a bit of filing and reworking with a ball hammer. The fit is very tight but if you are careful it can be done saving the cost of new fittings having to be made up. I also put new rubber insulation along the length of air con pipe next to the engine.

The small stain on the floor is a leak in the power steering hose which will have to be addressed!

I've also removed the windscreen wiper surround ready for a cleanup and painting.

I installed my water temperature T-pipe in the upper radiator hose. This will be used to control the thermo fan cut-in temp via the Pivot unit I'm getting from Sideshow. The sender that is in there at the moment is my old gauge.

This photo also shows how close the air con fittings are together.

This is the lower radiator hose, made up of the Camira U-bend, a joining pipe and another hose from a Corona.

A photo of the heater hose. Notice the scuff marks around the hose where it took some effort to get the old hose off as it was wedged against the Hilux's firewall. Then I used an extension bar inserted inside the pipe to bend it forward enough to put the new hose on. The clamp was also difficult to get on but we got there in the end.

The Igniter Assembly will be screwed to the firewall here. I'm thinking of making an aluminium panel to which the assembly will be screwed and then mount that on the firewall for a bit more clearance.

The Hilux back on its feet so that I can move it around for painting.

This photo clearly shows the reason why you need to modify the sump with the steering rack cutting directly through where the sump would have been.

The airflow meter and K & N filter that I will be using. The adapter piece on the airflow meter was purchased at Supercheap Auto. Just get the one for Toyota - it is a universal fit.

I have mocked up a mounting bracket to hold the airflow meter at the opposite end via the original mounting screws. I'll have to cut and bend a piece of aluminium which will be bolted to the inner guard by three slimline bolts and Nylock nuts.

The clutch master cylinder is connected to the slave via some braided hose. I was lucky in that a friend dropped by to see how I was getting on and he brought various lengths and sizes of used braided hose with him. The length and fittings were an exact match on one of the hoses, and this size (I think it was 1/4 in but I'd have to confirm that) was flexible enough to do the job. That's money saved to do something else!

Question

If someone could tell me where these two items should be connected that would be appreciated. I did a search and found one photo of a 1GGZE install that had the right angled connector on top of the piping blocked off. Should I do the same?

The other hose is currently connected to the PURGE outlet on the charcoal canister. This is only because the hose had the same markings as on the 22R. Can someone confirm this is correct or tell me where it should connect?

The only mechanical jobs left are fit up the battery, connect the fuel lines and solve the leak on the power steering hose. Then I will be eagerly awaiting the arrival of Sideshow when he comes back from holidays!

Happy Christmas and a great 2007 to everyone on Toymods, and all those that have helped me do this conversion.

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 15-11-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Correct typos

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Great thread Peter!

I just went through it all in one go!

OK. Now that we have that Christmas thingy out of the way it is full steam ahead (at half pace) again.

I finally solved the induction puzzle after trying numerous scenarios with and without the original rubber piping, resonator box and original air filter box. Even bought an air filter at Mr. Filter in Toongabbie but doesn't look like I'm going to use it now (unless I am told to by the authorities!).

The original air filter box was too cumbersome so I grabbed a K&N pod that I was using on the road car and stuck it on the end. That was the first part of the puzzle. Now I wanted to keep the rubber join that had the nipple for the power steering tubing, and that joined up to the Air Flow Meter.

I grabbed some intercooler tubing from Supercheap Auto but
    1. it's chromed plastic and
    2. it was too big at 75mm OD.

I needed 73mm. Here's the join in place:

I went to see my mate (who did my floor for me many moons ago) and after a search through his garage we found an offcut tubing which fitted perfectly. Some black paint and hose clamps and in it went. Finished. A small job that caused some headaches.

Tubing is 73mm OD, and I used about 80mm but it is adjustable. I also ended up tilting the induction down from the plastic crosspipe and directly to the corner.

Here's the finished product:

This is the template (transferred to aluminium sheet) for the induction bracket, which will bolt to the back of the AFM. The dotted line is a bend and three bolts will secure it to the inner guard.

The next job was to fit the custom battery plate. I recessed the holes to allow for a washer but I will replace the cap screws with domed bolts that don't require a washer. That will leave the plate without protruding bolt heads and a flat surface to mount the battery, which I've decided will be an Odyssey, to save weight and for a better fit size-wise.

The ECU only has one plug to wire up. The other two are uncut. Hopefully this will make Sideshow's job a little easier.

A couple of random shots here:

The Hokuto alloy wheels that I refurbished:

Trial fit of new front end panels. I've only completed base coat thus far, and will put 2 - 3 coats of gloss clear over this at some point. The bonnet was taken back to bare metal to get rid of all the sticker marks I referred to at the top of this thread. Now it is nice and flat, and should look really good when it's back on the road.

I also like to hang the panels because it means they aren't in the way, getting moved around and possibly scratched.

Still have to sort the fuel lines, and a trip to Pick 'n' Payless for an EFI pump from a Commodore should do nicely.

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 15-11-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typos fixed

Sheebz Automotive Grease Monkey Gleno28's Avatar

Hey mate, looks great! should be a pretty quick ute! Engine looks in very good nic too, got mine through SSS also.

For those two vacs, i've got the top one to the charcoal canister and the lower one to cruise unit, or could be vac gauge etc. Great build page too mate

Glen.
    A lone crusader, in a dangerous world of low reputation...
    ST141 Corona, VZN130 4Runner, 4AGE KE70 Pan Van
    18RG RA28
    1GGZE RA28

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Going back to your vacuum hose questions on the 26th, I have a Gen 2 1GGZE so my set-up is slightly different from yours. The small (4mm) line on top of the throttle body connects to the charcoal canister where I have used a Diahatsu Charade one on a Hilux mounting bracket in the original location on my RA23. The Charade one is a lot smaller, which removed the clearance issue I had with the larger original unit and the supercharger, and still has the one way valve inside it.
    The Charade canister originally mounts to a bracket that is welded onto its firewall, on a Hilux this (very similar) bracket is bolted near the wheel arch - I joined the two and replaced the RA23 set-up and I was done.
    I don't have that second pipe near the brake vacuum booster line on my engine. The closest thing to that location is the lower ABV line. Sorry I can't help you on this one. Its obviously some kind of vaccuum line used to drive something. Use it as a boost gauge pick-up? :-)
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Headlight Upgrade

Went to Pick 'n' Payless yesterday specifically to get an in-tank EFI fuel pump, and ended up spending 4 hours there, admittedly chatting for half the time with another Toymodder who was harrassing a Supra for its intake manifold.

I grabbed two headlights from an SX Celica (popup headlights) to upgrade my Hilux sealed beams, which don't really shed too much light on the road at night. Since I'm travelling to Wakefield Park I thought better lighting might be in order.

These headlights drop straight in without any mods. At first I thought I would have to remove the two protruding tabs but this was not the case. They have the advantage of only having to remove the globe when it blows, the replacements will be cheaper, and the rear has a protective rubber boot.

I grabbed two replacement globes while I was there which was good as I dropped one of the headlights as I was heading for the checkout and the globe's filament was damaged.

Another example of the interchangeability of Toyota parts.

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 15-11-2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Photobucket Upgrade

Yes, I did eventually get an EFI Fuel Pump. This one's out of a Toyota Crown Royal Saloon. I figured it would flow enough fuel for the 1GGZE. I'm going to remove the rear tray from the Hilux to check fitting of this unit over the next day or so. That'll also give me a chance to paint the rear of the cab and the tray, as well as Chassis Black the frame, diff and axle.

While I was there I also spotted this Lukey Performance Muffler on the ground so I hacked off one end before taking it. I'm thinking I might have a go at building my own exhaust system. That way I don't have to move the Hilux, and I can put into practice the skills from the welding course I did a couple of year's ago at TAFE (before they bumped up the prices of the short courses from $90 to $320 a semester).

I'd like to expand the system piping out to 2.5" from the 2" that's stock on the muffler.

When I buy the pipe should I get it from an exhuast shop and have them bend it there and then or is there a cheaper alternative. I'll also have to hire a MIG? Any help in this regards would be appreciated. Do Kennards do this stuff?

I was thinking about an oil cooler since the sump modification removed about a litre (or more) of capacity. Adding a cooler increases the oil capacity and helps cool the engine oil (naturally ) I'll get a Toyota oil filter adapter from Motorsport Connections at Seven Hills - one that allows for the fitting of an oil temp sender. I haven't worked out where this cooler will go but it's size should allow a not-too-difficult fitting using rubber hoses and clamps.

Cheers

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 15-11-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

peter, all the exhaust work i've done thusfar i go to my local exhaust place and they order mandrel bends in for me. then you just cut and shut the things together.

have done a couple now - all good.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Bullfrog's Avatar

Infotech,

When you said in previous post you had to elongate the gearbox mounting plate which way did you do it?. As i didn't plan on removing my gearbox pretty much due to the fact i don't want to with all the transfercase crap on it. I was just Planning to modify the engine mounts to suit. I guess they probably arent set up the same anyways so it probably a silly question.
    Hilux RN110

1G-GZE Gen 3 Conversion currently underway

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog
    Infotech,

When you said in previous post you had to elongate the gearbox mounting plate which way did you do it?. As i didn't plan on removing my gearbox pretty much due to the fact i don't want to with all the transfercase crap on it. I was just Planning to modify the engine mounts to suit. I guess they probably arent set up the same anyways so it probably a silly question.
    Is yours 4WD?

With my 2WD I had to elongate the four holes and the large centre opening on the crossmember mounting plate to allow the gearbox mount to match up. Holes were made about 10mm longer. This is because the 1GGZE is slightly longer than the 22R. I'm using my original 22R gearbox.

If you have 4WD everything may bolt up, especially if you use custom mounts.

Cheers

Today I planned to work on the EFI install so I removed the tray from the Hilux and placed it on some hobby horses.

I then removed the fuel tank:

I drained it of remaining fuel and as it had years of built up grime on it I gave it a clean. That allowed me to work on it without getting rubbish inside the tank. As it was it had a fair degree of sediment in the bottom so that was all removed.

The Crown fuel pump would not fit into the tank so that ended that avenue of modification. I like the idea of an external pump, and surge tank but for my purposes I would like to go "in-tank" as there are very few places under the Hilux where I could put all that extra gear without major work.

So its back to Pick 'n' Payless in the New Year to find something smaller, now that I know the diameter of the opening, which is 42mm. In fact both openings in the 22R tank are the same size (the pickup and the fuel gauge unit).

Happy New Year
    Last edited by infotechplus; 15-11-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Photobucket Upgrade

Yesterday was a bit wet out our way but rather than do nothing I decided to spend the day pulling out the dash so that I could complete a number of small jobs.

Some time ago a neighbour (well, a couple of blocks away) was trashing a single cab Hilux. Unfortunately, by the time I saw it most was gone. I did manage to salvage a dash in excellent condition, heater motor, wiper motor, brake master cylinder and some interior plastic.

The intention was to recolour the dash, pull mine and replace. Mine was originally brown but was now grey. I had already recoloured some of the centre console and armrest in black so I wanted to convert everything to black.

I also needed to redo the wiring for the stereo.

Having done this several times before it was relatively easy. Like many Japanese dashes you just have to remember in what order you take the pieces off as they are all interlinked.

The Hilux dash is a two part affair, with a main skeleton and the padded outer or front piece linked to it with small twisty tab. I ended up using a combination of pieces, with the main dash from the salvaged Hilux coupled with my padded section. This was because the padded section from the 2 door wouldn't take the colour - it kept going all milky.

This is the main section:

Having removed everything I cleaned all the air passages, fixed the centre air vent opening mechanism as it never worked due to the connection having jumped off its placeholder, fixed the wiring, and replaced the left hand vent as the one in the 2 door was broken.

I am using Septone Vinyl and Plastic Paint. It is very good but you have to prepare thoroughly by cleaning all the parts to be painted, first with soapy water, drying, and then W&GR. The idea is to put on several light coats, waiting 5 minutes between coats. I did this by lining up all the pieces, and rotating through them, as on an assembly line.

This is the main part installed. All that remains is to put everything back in and connect up the hazard light switch, cig lighter, and clock. Be careful when doing this as it is easy to lose one of the connections, screw everything together and then have to undo it all because something has fallen out of view.

Close up of the passenger side vent:

To get the main dash back in it is better to remove the steering wheel. There's nothing worse than ruining your new dash by scratching it , trying to force it in. Give yourself plenty of room!

Cheers,
    Last edited by infotechplus; 15-11-2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Photobucket Upgrade

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice Bullfrog's Avatar

And then you have to pull it all out again to wire the engine up . he he

Don't post the wiring stuff i sent you yet i have ammended it again.
    And almost finished the full wiring diagram just hope it works ..lol....
    Hilux RN110

1G-GZE Gen 3 Conversion currently underway