Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Quote Originally Posted by Kedderz
    You wont be able to register/engineer a 1ggze into a 96 lux without a whole heap of trouble as the 1ggze's stopped being produced well before 96 meaning your putting an older engine into a newere car and rego/engineers/adr rules dont like that!
    ^^^^ What he said!

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Forum Member

There seems to be alot of older V8's getting put into '89-'96 Hilux's! The truck at the moment is running a carb'd 2.4Litre engine so I was hoping thatwould work considering it was essentially the same engine as the Dual-Cabs! The '96 I have is the last of that model........

Forum Member

I have already purchased the engine & got it for a bargain! Already had it checked out and seems to be of really good condition and has low kms

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

best thing to do is contact your transport authority, they will tell you what you need to do/know.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Give consulmotive a call. They should be able to give you a definite yes or no as to whether you can legally do the conversion. Just type consulmotive into google.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

Forum Member

Thanx 1JZ-Lux will contact them 1st thing Tuesday morning! I thought it would be similiar to infotechplus's conversion (essentially same engine & truck) I am also located in NSW

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

no updates for almost a year. Hows it pulling still. Been pouring over this tread for months trying to amp myself up to do te conversion but im worried because the lux i my only car. But its starting to go through oil and i think t needs to be done. Guess i can ride the roadie everywhere again. Back to the days of not having P's

Anyway so its going to be going into a 93 hilux and ive ben thinking about a 1JZ but not keen on turbo. Then was told to do a 1UZ but not keen on a V8 so i reckon that the 1G would be most suitable as well as im going to be converting it to pure gas. So hopefully it will simplify all the ECU and wiring abit. as well as meaning that i dont have to worry about puel pumps and surge tanks just have to do the converter, mixer and stuff like that.

Main reason for my question was what did you actually have to modify?? From what i can see you used the standard Hilux Chassi Rail Mounts but then adapted the motor to them. As well as i got extremely confused tryign to work out the gearbox lol. Did you use the standard hilux gearbox or use the box off the 1G.

About to go out for the opening of one of the U-Pull-It stores here in adelaide an scoop myself a 1G-GZE with low km's as well as a new LSD. Thinking about a 3.9 and hopefully that will make it abit faster.

Thanks Guys,

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Ive got a few of the bits and pieces if you need them, including the 10mm mount adjuster that Pete had made.
    I also had (not sure if I still do) the mounts to get the the engine into the car.

If you are after these bits, let me know. I live @ Noarlunga.

Pete also used the Hilux G52 Gearbox, and used the stock gearbox mounts, he just elongated the holes a bit.

Herus
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Double post. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by rex_hvn View Post
    No updates for almost a year. Hows it pulling still.
    If you mean me, then I have to tell you that I sold the ute back in 2007, not long after I finished it. Didn't need it after I sold the racecar and car trailer. But I can tell you it was fantastic to drive, pulled really hard.

Been pouring over this thread for months trying to amp myself up to do the conversion but I'm worried because the Lux is my only car. But its starting to go through oil and I think it needs to be done. Guess I can ride the roadie everywhere again. Back to the days of not having P's

Anyway so its going to be going into a 93 hilux and I've been thinking about a 1JZ but not keen on turbo. Then was told to do a 1UZ but not keen on a V8 so i reckon that the 1G would be most suitable as well as Im going to be converting it to pure gas. So hopefully it will simplify all the ECU and wiring a bit. As well as meaning that I don't have to worry about fuel pumps and surge tanks just have to do the converter, mixer and stuff like that.
    Bite the bullet. Do it. You won't regret it. Go the ZZE over the TTE any day.

Main reason for my question was what did you actually have to modify?? From what I can see you used the standard Hilux Chassis Rail Mounts but then adapted the motor to them. As well as I got extremely confused trying to work out the gearbox lol. Did you use the standard Hilux gearbox or use the box off the 1G.
    I used two identical 3G mounts coupled with the Hilux rail mounts, plus a small spacer to realign the engine. I also used the standard Hilux 5 speed but had to elongate the chassis mounting holes slightly, I used the 1G bellhousing on the box - you have to do that for it to all fit up.

About to go out for the opening of one of the U-Pull-It stores here in Adelaide and scoop myself a 1G-GZE with low km's as well as a new LSD. Thinking about a 3.9 and hopefully that will make it a bit faster.
    You have a U-Pull-It that stocks 1GGZEs and LSDs. Wow!

Oh yeah, my old mate Herus will look after you.

Peter

Pete,
    Its a VIP Day at upullit today.. so must have fancy stuff. Let me tell you, that doesnt usually happen!

Im happy to help if needed rex, I was going to do the same thing, but have since decided to go 1UZ.
    Its been what, 4 years? And I still dont have the engine in the car... Ill get there in the end

PM Me if you need anything rex.

Herus
    Member's ride thread!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I may have to take you up on those engine mounts if you still have them and anything else you may have accumulated for the 1G that you dont need anymore. Yea i was thinking about the 1UZ but as an everyday car its all just too much.

Yea i was down at the VIP day at U-Pull-It, nothing spech and i hate how they dont have anything in sections so you wander everwhere finding bits and pieces scattered. I think that their struggaling with the limited space.

and unfortunately no there wasnt any 1G motors or LSD's, wasnt expectig there to be but keep finger's crossed. Where would be a good place to source one in adelade?? look for a front cut or a wreck i presume. I have found they come out the Crown 120, 121, 130, as well as 1988-1990 chaser/ mark II and cresta GX81.

Theres a few places around that should have them. But shipping them from interstate isnt as expensive as you may thing.

Did they even have anything Hilux related at Upullit?
    I need some bits a pieces.
    As for 1G bits, thats cool, let me know if you want to drop round sometime.
    I have a spare dual cab Hilux that Im going to be wrecking shortly, so if there is anything off that you need, let me know.

Herus
    Member's ride thread!

Well, here I am. Twelve years later. I've just re-read this build thread, and I thought maybe this thing is still around.

The last known existence of my RN85 Hilux was in a Youtube video

https://youtu.be/t4co5BxNuD8

This was posted on August 15, 2009 by HKS25T. About two years after I sold it.

A quick look on GOOGLE Maps, and knowing that it was bought by someone in the Newcastle area I was able to guesstimate this video was filmed somewhere around Stockton.

I did a "myPlates" check for NSW on "IGG22E" and the plates are available so the ute may still be on the road but with different plates.

Does anyone have any information? Is it still on the road?

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 20-02-2022 at 07:48 AM.

Haven't seen it!
    I'm still about.
    Haven't even built my Hilux yet.
    One day!
    Member's ride thread!