Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

I'm pretty sure trucks don't need to run cats...well that is the mail I have

This is my Hilux system

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9941/exhaustqc2.jpg

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allmtr
    I'm pretty sure trucks don't need to run cats...well that is the mail I have

This is my Hilux system

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9941/exhaustqc2.jpg
    Use or not of a catalytic converter is dictated by the engine not the vehicle it is on/going into. Hence the need for a cat on my Lux. Have this as reliable information from a number of people including exhaust shop.

Yeah, I was just reading your project thread. Very ambitious but I suppose it all depends on intended use. Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 23-03-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Typo fixed
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Engineer told me no need for cat on trucks but I suppose it cant hurt to have one.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

ah peter
    the vl runs the filter after the fuel damper
    (above the diff actually)
    that little guy that sat just post the external fuel pump removes vibrations in the fuel supply caused by the small in tank pump
    just swap over the position of the pump and the filter on your bracket and you'll be set.

Nurses rock! Grease Monkey lunar_c's Avatar

This is such a fantastic buildup with some really good bits of information (especially the pump rubbers and the window rubber thing for painting!). I love the 1GGZE conversion and you've just done such a thorough job of everything. Good work!
    Thanks for making all your information / advice accessable to others who can really benefit from it.
    I'd love to see more pics/info of your Civic race car if you'd like to PM me..

OK. With the rear end brake conversion out of the way (save for a brake bleed later) I can concentrate on finishing the Lux. However, it's been one of those "lost" weekends where I've been busy but don't seem to have achieved much

On Saturday I finished the handbrake shoe install, picked up another fuel filter and some Castrol power steering fluid from Supercheap Auto. The fuel filter I'm adding between the fuel pump and the fuel rail as recommended to catch any gunk coming from the pump.

I've had some issues with a leak in the power steering line; in particular the pressure feed line. So I've replaced the fitting completely and had to refill and bleed the system. Everything looks good now with no leaks to see.

I did some work on the exhaust too. I cut the hangars off the old truck muffler and welded them onto the Lukey muffler so that's now sitting in the original position. I put the cat in position using the old hangar plate off the Lux and cut the pipe to fit between the muffler and the cat. I cut the tail section off the original and will match up some mandrel bends to duplicate it.

I grabbed another 5M-GE y-pipe from Pick'n'Payless and after trial fitting it, decided to cut 85mm out of it (in the straight section just below the flange), weld it back together and fit it. It's a beaut fit now, and tucks up nicely along the Lux's driver's side frame rail. A small section of pipe then goes into a 90 deg mandrel bend, and then another short section and 90 deg bend into the cat. During the week I'll get it welded up and it should be good to go. Just the y-pipe and the straight section have quietened down the engine significantly so my neighbour shouldn't be too pi**ed with me

Today I connected up the thermo fan to the relay and then into the cabin where I'll use a switch to activate it as necessary. Until I can find a suitable thermo switch this will have to do.

I also did some work wiring up the guages. It was certainly handy to have wired another Accessory terminal into the loom that I can run things off. I'm doing the same with a "Lights On" switch as well so all the guages will light up at night.

I noticed a problem with the taillights not coming on. Brake lights work and so do the indicators but no "normal" taillights.

Then I had a look at the Junction Box in the driver's footwell. Seems that some point in time I've done some damage to it:

So I had to get another Junction box. Luckily there was a Lux out at Pick'n'Payless so I grabbed the one from it. Cost me $10.

I replaced all the fuses and the relay:

My list of things to do is shorter for sure but there still plenty of stuff to do before I can really say I'm finished.

Tailgate sanded, and painted. Refit.
    Three doors to sand and paint. Refit.
    Finish gauges wiring.
    Fit MA70 booster and master cylinder. Install MA70 3-way union.
    Install stainless brake lines.
    Bleed brakes front and rear.
    Adjust handbrake cable.
    GTS-T R32 front caliper and disk conversion.
    Regas air-con system.

I also got my car trailer inspected and regod on Saturday so that's out of the way.

Cheers,

Peter

Lookin good. Be careful with manual switching thermo, VERY easy to forget about

"To do" lists = Depression

From the Lukey website:

"The catalytic converter converts harmful pollutants such as hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen contained in the exhaust gas into harmless emissions of nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water. A catalytic converter became a compulsory component in January 1986, when ADR 37 was implemented. The catalytic converter is usually located in the engine pipe in close proximity to the exhaust manifold."

The emphasis is mine. There doesn't seem to be any dispensation from type of vehicle, as stated in a previous post.

Cheers,

Peter

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

motor came from a car that requires a cat by law.

hence your hilux now requires a cat by law.

ADRs in relation to engines is pertinant to the newest item.

Ie: if the car is older than the motor ... than the motor's year of ADRs are applicable.
    If the chasis is newer .. then the engine must meet ADRs of the Chasis' year.

Thats y you dont put older motors in newer cars ... often to hard to bring emmisions up to scratch for what the car's year requires.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

I'm not gonna argue and ruin your thread....but ADR37 doesn't apply to trucks. My 6/86 Lux doesn't have it on the compliance plate. The updating to the specs of the motor only applies to passenger vehicles. If you put a motorcycle motor in a passenger car, you have to abide by passenger car regulations.

Does your compliance plate include ADR 37?

Like I said probably a good idea but my mail is it is not needed :shrugs shoulders:

Quote Originally Posted by allmtr
    I'm not gonna argue and ruin your thread....but ADR37 doesn't apply to trucks. My 6/86 Lux doesn't have it on the compliance plate. The updating to the specs of the motor only applies to passenger vehicles. If you put a motorcycle motor in a passenger car, you have to abide by passenger car regulations.

Does your compliance plate include ADR 37?

Like I said probably a good idea but my mail is it is not needed :shrugs shoulders:
    I'm taking every comment on board and doing my best to make sure I have no hassles at the end of all this as I'm running out of time. No mention of ADR37 on any plates in the engine bay, but my Lux came with a cat so to be sure (and do my bit for the environment) I'm going to run a cat. I can only repeat what the exhaust guy said and that is the need for a cat is not tied to the vehicle but the engine in it.

I don't think the performance of the engine will be adversely affected as such as it's a VN Commodore cat and regarded as reasonably free flowing - it's certainly twice the size of the old one.

I've searched a lot of the online documentation in Government legislation without finding an answer so today I will ring the RTA and see what they have to say.

Thanks, and,

Cheers,

Peter

not ever having a truck i didnt know bout the exemption there .. so sounds like your sweet with or with out.
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)

I spoke with another RTA certified Engineer today and he told me the following:

If the vehicle had a cat on it previous to the engine change it is required by law to have a cat, and/or,

If the donor engine came from a vehicle with a cat, the vehicle receiving the engine has to have a cat also.

The only exemption is a vehicle that originally did not have a cat and the transplanted engine came from a vehicle that also did not have a cat.

An emissions test must be carried out. The RTA are quite fair when it comes to the emssions test - they don't expect a 25 year old vehicle to meet strict regulations so they are prepared to test the vehicle and pass it if it is within an acceptable range. If it is way over they will do one retest to make sure. If it is still over then you have to go away and fix it.

After the emssions test I would have to bring the printout suppied by the RTA to the Engineer who would then check the vehicle, do a brake test, check the speedo, check the engine, engine mounts, gearbox, make sure the brakes are adequate for the new engine, do a noise check, etc.

His report would include photos, his assessment, and recommendation re: blue slip. He would supply three copies - one original, and two copies. One for the blue slip assessment and one for me.

The original goes to the RTA, and my copy gets stamped at the RTA as well, and must be kept in the car if the Police or other authority want to see it. He suggested making a copy of the one I take to the RTA and got stamped. Also make sure you copy the blue slip and keep it safe.

I asked him about costs and he said $400 - $500 depending on what needs to be done.

Cheers,

Peter

Cool, sounds like a cat is needed. Hope it goes well.

i thought the testing was free?
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)