Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have this happen before. (timing belt buzzsawed thru beams timing cover)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default Anybody have this happen before. (timing belt buzzsawed thru beams timing cover)

First time i've seen this. But it looks like something like the tensioner pulley must of loosened or something along those lines to allow the belt to track off and thru the plastic timing cover, of course the motor died in the ass when it happened.

98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody have this happen before. (timing belt buzzsawed thru beams timing cover)

that is so unbelievably cool.

I don't know about the beams, but the JZ engines have a small plate which goes on the crank pulley gear on top of the belt, which I assume stops this happening. do the 3S engines have a similar thingy? they must have something to keep the timing belt in place, and it looks like taht engine is missing it
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody have this happen before. (timing belt buzzsawed thru beams timing cover)

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    that is so unbelievably cool.

I don't know about the beams, but the JZ engines have a small plate which goes on the crank pulley gear on top of the belt, which I assume stops this happening. do the 3S engines have a similar thingy? they must have something to keep the timing belt in place, and it looks like taht engine is missing it
    My CA18 doesn't have anything like this, i was curious about the same thing. Thinking about it though, the harmonic balancer butts up against the crank sprocket and probably manages this ok.
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

well i'm not sure, i know the gen1 3sge's have a plate on the crank pulley that woud stop it tracking forward like that. Have not had a chance to look at it in person, all corrospondance with my cousing the poor bugger.

I can only guess a something wasn't tensioned up properly and had loosened like the tensioner going on an angle.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

that's a really good point - shouldn't the harmonic balancer stop that happening, regadless of any secondary restraints?
    The only other thing that comes to mind is checking the tensioner.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

4age doesnt have anything keeping the belt there. I guess in the crank it does but not anywhere else
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

same with a 1g, only thing to hold in place is the harmonic balancer.
    same with a mazda astina
    seems your the odd one out draven

i had a timing belt on my 1g melt itself against the timing cover, as it had slid down about a mm and made it rub.
    my timing belt is now shiny and has a groove in it where it has gone over the idler pulley hot enough to be moulded.
    must change that one day
    did it snap the belt or throw it, or is it all still good?
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    4age doesnt have anything keeping the belt there. I guess in the crank it does but not anywhere else
    Yep - There is a double flanged pulley on the bottom.
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

the belt didn't snap, but it was loose from what i was told.

Sounds to me like the tensioner pulley is at fault, these things just dont happen on toyota motors, gotta be due to defective part of incorrect installation form whoever worked on it last.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

Show Us Your Tints Carport Converter Soarer_D00D's Avatar

Wow... Thats awesome. Does it have a normal bolt tensioner, or a Hydralic "grenade" tensioner like the 1JZ? In any case, good luck, i've never seen that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    yeah jump start a planet sort of torque

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

ive never had the top cover chopped up, but ive had the lower cover chewed out after timing belt failure.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

3S-FE has a flat disc that sits on the crank between the harmonic balancer and the timing belt pulley.

Hope this helps.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

did you take ur cam pulleys off to do seals or what?
    from memory, both of the cam pulleys have a lipped edge. one goes on the inside, and one on the outer edge - this is what holds the timing belt in place on the top side

iv'e done it before and after taking the top cover off the belt had left a mark

anyone back me up on this?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

oki my bad i'm confusing with v6

Quote Originally Posted by Soarer_D00D
    Wow... Thats awesome. Does it have a normal bolt tensioner, or a Hydralic "grenade" tensioner like the 1JZ? In any case, good luck, i've never seen that before.

pretty sure its a standard spring loaded type tensioner. that gets bolted into place once the tension is set via the spring.

The head came off not long ago to change a headgasket. WIll lets you all know what the cuase was when i find out.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4