Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Manual gearbox into MX83 Cressida?

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Default Re: Manual gearbox into MX83 Cressida?

In response to the master cylinder options, i know of one other that is almost a bolt in replacement - its from a JZA80.

When i say almost, all that needs to be done is to remove the studs off the pedal box and use the studs off the master cylinder, and then to have the line made up to suit.

Check out the pics for a better understanding (thanks to cseufert off tc.net)

Pedal box with studs removed

Clutch master fitted to pedal box

Fitted to car

And just to show it sits perfectly straight

Close up photo showing line

For any other pics, and the above in higher resolution - check out his albums at
    http://picasaweb.google.com/seufert

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Ignore anyone who says that the A70 clutch stuff is bolt up. They are dreaming.

Looks pretty much bolt up to me too

Seriously not hard overall. Sweet pain in the arse that 99% of people reckoned it was "bolt up"
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Unfortunately with the sands of time many of these links are dead. But the main reason I am necroing this thread is for anyone else that comes along and is looking for info.

Quote Originally Posted by big_zop View Post
    In response to the master cylinder options, i know of one other that is almost a bolt in replacement - its from a JZA80.

When i say almost, all that needs to be done is to remove the studs off the pedal box and use the studs off the master cylinder, and then to have the line made up to suit.

Pedal box with studs removed
    edit: just realised he was talking about the jza80 master cylinder, and not the pedal bracket. oops
    In the photo above, that part looks quite different from a JZA80R pedal bracket. 55107-14140 is the part number for that, and if you google it, you will notice right away it looks quite different, the most prominent thing being that it lacks any studs that need to be removed. It also has some...thing on the bottom of the bracket with a threaded hole for a bolt that I'm not sure as to whether it'll get in the way or not when attempting to mount.
    Funnily enough the other day I saw a pedal bracket and pedal on sale in russia, 55107-22190 or 55107-22200. It was gone by this morning. Used clutch masters still seem to be available there though. But who knows for how long.
    55107-22230 is for a JZX90, looks very similar to OP's pic but not exact. Seems like it might work though, but it's no longer in production, only sources now are ebay scalpers.
    55107-22170 is for a JZX100 and also looks very similar to OP's pic, but not exact. Honestly can't see any major differences between it and the JZX90 pedal.
    Both these parts will need the studs removed if keeping the master cylinder studs.

Clutch master cylinders...there is an interesting thing about the gx81 cylinder: the turbo version is much like the supra turbo cylinder, in that it has a heat shield (31464-22010). It has a different part number (90430-10074) to the NA manual cylinder (31410-22211, superseded w/ 31410-22270), because the NA cylinder doesn't have holes for the two bolts (91611-B0610) that hold the heat shield. The turbo cylinder has an interesting setup in that to get around the head shield, it has a banjo fitting and two copper gaskets.
    If you don't want that though, you can order aisin aftermarket parts CMT-003 and CRT-099. The original parts were CMT-117 (no longer in production) and CRT-007. You can still buy -007 on ebay or whatever but kinda expensive. Buying -003 and -099 is cheaper from rockauto, even with shipping to aus. CMT-003 is originally for a hilux and hilux surf, 1988 models and similar.

Update: a jzx90 pedal box is NOT bolt in; the top part where it bolts to the firewall/up inside the dash, needs to be bent lower, but this is very hard due to the way the metal is shaped. May need a dremel but that may compromise stability since if this is done, the only mounting points are the master cylinder studs. Thus, the jzx100 box is also likely to not fit without modification.
    CMT-003 is a bit awkward because the cap is practically touching the firewall. JZA80 cylinder highly recommended for this. Can also buy a fancy heat shield to make things look nice. Aisin part CMT-120.
    If you need a master cyl with studs, best bet would be the camry ones - 31410-33021 or 31410-33040. Aisin CMT-005 works great if you need a studless version. The reservoir seems to be a bit further back compared to CMT-003 so this may be preferable.

2nd edit: So there are two types of aisin master cylinders - CMT-003-style types where the reservoir is bolted down to the actual cast iron/steel master cylinder via a banjo bolt and washer, and the CMT-120-style type where it is held down with a cotter pin of sorts to the aluminium master cylinder, but can still be wiggled around a bit. If you are using the KE conversions manual pedal box kit, you must get the cast steel ones; the mounting flange is further towards the front of the vehicle, thus the push rod will be of sufficient length to reach the pedal. If using the aluminium ones, you will need:
    - LHD supra master cylinder push rod
    OR
    - a LHD SW20 MR2 pushrod (31451-60080, as of Jan 2023 these are still in stock (!)) + steel-only clevis from the steel master cylinders (31453-22010 is one such part number).
    I haven't tried the supra master push rod yet. But I do know for a fact that the 2nd option has juust enough clearance at the clevis for it to work as intended.
    The reason for using the aluminium ones would be if you got your hands on the GX81 clutch hard line, buyee.jp and jesse streeter are your friend here. There are some listings right now for manual conversion bits including the hard line, amongst other things.
    Last edited by edbods; 10-01-2023 at 02:06 PM.