Thread: Best Boost Gauge Type?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Best Boost Gauge Type?

Is a mechanical gauge sufficient, or should I spring for electronic?

I have searched around the forum (new and old) and haven't really found a definitive answer, so I thought I'd ask the specific question.

My 1JZ Cressida isn't boosting as it should any more (well, I don't think it is ) so I thought the first step to diagnosis would be to measure boost. Plus it will be needed before any more mods are commenced.

The problem with the Cressida is that there really isn't anywhere to mount a mechanical gauge (I flatly refuse to put it on the dash, A-pillar, etc.). And besides, doesn't the long hose from the manifold affect the readings? (Or am I confusing the issue with piping for in-cabin mechanical boost controller adjusters?)

I was contemplating the Blitz DC turbo timer with electronic boost gauge, if only for the fact that it is tiny, unobtrusive, has peak-boost memory and is relatively inexpensive. I probably wouldn't even bother wiring up the timer part.

Does anyone have experience with the Blitz DC? Is it hard to watch what the boost is doing compared to an analogue dial?

Are there any other 'stealth' gauges out there? Or should I just go cheap mechanical and stuff it under the dash when I'm not diagnosing or tuning?
    '93 MX83 Cressy with 1JZGTE (now with engineered goodness)
    '85 YN57 Hilux SR5 with 3.8l V6
    '98 ES300 (with gold bits!!)
    + A Corolla and some non-Toyotas

Forum Member

Default Re: Best Boost Gauge Type?

Mechanical gauges work just fine. The long hose doesn't make a difference really, it may be a little slow to register (fractions of a second) but the reading is still right.
    I have the Blitz DSBC spec-R boost controller and I'm fairly sure that they have the same boost gauge. It is harder to read than an analogue gauge, but they are fine for setting boost