Thread: [urgent] oil pressure sender types - 100kw sender to work with aftermarket guage??

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Question [urgent] oil pressure sender types - 100kw sender to work with aftermarket guage??

Hi All,
    Im so close to finishing my ae101 4agze rebuild. Literally ready to start the engine, but have major problem - I have no ability to measure the crucial oil pressure

Problem :
    Using ae93 sx 100kw oil pressure sender (because the ae101ze oil pressure sender was for an oil "light" only and not an in-dash guage) but trying to use a VDO oil pressure guage. Unfortunately the sender configurations are too different and the VDO guage spins off the dial when accessory switched on. If I earth the oil pressure signal wire the VDO guage goes back to the correct pre-start level so obviously the 100kw oil pressure sender signal wire is not passivly earthed and cannot be used with the VDO guage.

I could not use the VDO sender because it has a different thread. Interchanging temperature senders and guages in the past has not proved to troublesome so i thought i might work for oil pressure...

Options :
    1. Get original in dash oil pressure guage working with its native 100kw 4age oil pressure sender. How hard would this be? Pulling apart dash cluster and manualy running the signal wire to the guage would be a nightmare. How hard would it be to find the original oil pressure sender wire on my loom? bearing in mind it has been completely chopped and changed when spliced with the ae101 loom.

2. Get the VDO oil pressure sender into the block by taking it to ENZED to have thread changed.. Would involve removing all devices necessary to change the senders over. (a right wanker)

3. Find another aftermarket 2" guage that will work on the same config as the 100kw ae92/93 oil pressure senders! Someone pls tell me this exists?

Cheers
    Daniel

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: [urgent] oil pressure sender types - 100kw sender to work with aftermarket guage??

I would suggest getting a adapter from one thread to another then put the sender on that. However you will need to brace it somehow so there is no weight on the thread in the block. It has been well known to break off in the block.

You could talk to Motor Sport Connections In Seven Hills about your situation and they should work something out for you. They are very helpful. Would probably be best to bring everything in you want to put together and show them(except the block obviously)
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: [urgent] oil pressure sender types - 100kw sender to work with aftermarket guage??

Use an adaptor. I got one made out of brass for $30 at my local engineering shop.

any fittongs shop, MSC being a good one, pirtek being a bad one, will sort you out
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

And wiring up the original one in the dash to the original sensor ain't hard either; make sure you've got power going to the gauge (shouldn't have been touched during conversion), the signal goes to(/from) sender in block (i'd say gone but you know which one/where it is) and the third one is the damping earth running off the gauge. This runs down through the dash loom past the ecu connectors and is often chopped/lost/ignored because its not obvious what it is. Easiest thing to do here is find it on the back of the dash cluster and earth it somewhere handy back there.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

VDO senders use a 1/8" NPT thread, but Toyota engine blocks typically have a 1/8" BSP thread for the oil pressure switch/sender.

A VDO oil pressure sender is worth about $50, and the thread adaptor (available from ANY decent fittings shop - eg. Enzed, Earl's etc) will cost about $5 or less - the adaptor is literally about 15-20mm long, with a male thread and female thread immedately behind, so it will sit the sender approximately 10mm further out from the block. I had this exact arrangement on my 4A-GE

Just get the correct VDO pressure sender to suit the gauge.

Here's a pretty picture from when i turbocharged my 4AGE. NB: the little brass coloured bit is the thread adaptor... all the blue coloured fittings are Earl's fittings for the turbo oil feed line.

...... butt scratcher?!

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Thanks Guys!
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I ended up going to ENZED who could provide an adapter, but it would be too long to allow the main bracket that holds all the pumps to bolt back on.

They checked the threads and only difference was BSBT to BSB, slightly different total thread diameter....so i stripped the new oil pressure sender in anyway...fuck it, she'll be right.

just kidding, it was a tapered thread after all and it fitted!
    Will have conversion pics up very soon

Daniel