Thread: Need Help: 1GGZE into RN85 Hilux

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Default Need Help: 1GGZE into RN85 Hilux

It was a tight fit, but as someone said, that's what shoehorns are for

I've got the !GGZE into the Hilux engine bay and the gearbox bolted up (almost).

If anyone has done this conversion in recent times maybe you could answer these questions for me:

I placed the 20mm spacer on the driver's side engine mount but its not enough to clear the steering box. My instinct is to add another slimmer spacer (say 3-5mm) to give the clearance. The other option is to file away a small section of the steering box. Should I go with the spacer?

The accelerator cable is too short. What is the preferred option? Is there another cable that is a bolt in?

The 1G bellhousing is about 2cm longer than the 22R. So I think elongating the mounting holes on the gearbox rear mount is the preferred option here? Also I can't see the two rear mounting holes on the gear lever in the cabin. Do I cut a small section of the floor out to put these bolts in or can they be put in from underneath (obviating the need to cut the floor).

What about clutch, power steering and air con piping? Do I have custom lines made up or is there a simpler (cheaper) solution?

Also, even with the English 1G and the Japanese GZE/GTE manuals I still can't work out where to connect up fuel and water systems. Is there a diagram somewhere or does someone have photos?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Need Help: 1GGZE into RN85 Hilux

So I think elongating the mounting holes on the gearbox rear mount is the preferred option here?
    I've done this before; it's not ideal but it will work.

I was a little dodgier back then.. now I'd either make up a new one out of some plate steel, or else elongate the holes as necessary and weld in a bit of plate for more rigidity. Let me tell you that having your gearbox fall on the ground, while driving, would suck.

What about clutch, power steering and air con piping? Do I have custom lines made up or is there a simpler (cheaper) solution?
    I haven't done your specific conversion but in most cases something off the original car, another Toyota, or off the half cut you are using, will fit perfectly. If not then custom hoses are your only realistic option, and they're not particularly cheap... alternatively you may get away with an adapter to the right thread, or even a short hose with the appropriate fitting on each end to save you getting a hose that's 3 or 4 feet long (expensive stuff).

I still can't work out where to connect up fuel and water systems. Is there a diagram somewhere or does someone have photos?
    Logic should prevail here. The fuel return line will be at the same end as the fuel pressure regulator - the feed line will go to the opposite end. Essentially fuel pump pushes the fuel through the line, into the fuel rail, and once the other end of the fuel rail sees appropriate fuel pressure then the regulator opens up to let excess fuel flow out of the return line to maintain the right pressure.
    Last edited by Shifty; 11-12-2006 at 08:09 AM.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....