Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Idiots guide to a 1jz conversion into a MA70 bodied supra.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default Re: Idiots guide to a 1jz conversion into a MA70 bodied supra.

Thanx 2DRFT, but not the same, even the 87 supra diagrams are not the same even tho i have an 87 (according to the plate on the firewall).
    (cygnus tsrm covers 1990 supra's and i think they have a small portion of 87 wiring)

But i've mostly got everything that i need wired up. The main plug B1(yellow square plug on my MA70) is simular except for a few wire colors and pin functions such as the water temp sensor wire going into this plug. And the plug that carries dash info is completly different, wire colors are different, and pin functions are different, a few wire colors match up across diagrams for this plug, but as i've found out i can't rely on wire colors either as some had completly different functions such as the pink speed sender wire, and the Check engine light was green/red on my ma70 body plug and green gray on the 1jz end.

My only issues (wich could be wiring, or more likely mechanical are the temp guage overheats and climbs off the scale after boosting, yet when you inspect the engine it seems ok. Also lacking abit of power compared to the first day i had it up and running as if the ECU is holding me back due to something like weak fuel pressure/flow or something else. (after learning conditions etc).

Also yet to wire my PPS and hydro fan in properly it appears they both wire into the same Relay. I'm having problems working out the wiring with this relay it has 4 wires going to it, and i have traced the PPS and Hydo computers which both have 1 wire each to this relay, but what the other 2 are for i'm not sure as yet.

Xistant

oh never mind that,

here it is
    the complete info you'll need is below

http://www.1jz-gte.us/92Supra6.html

regards,
    Kc

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

The fella that runs that site rick doesn't know why my plugs are different either. Trust me i've trawled everywhere, even supra girl who has an 87 manual with wiring diagrams is different to mine.
    maybe toyota ran out of plugs and wire colors on the day my car was built and used some slightly different ones or maybe an auto electrician has had his way with my car in the past. Who knows, but it's different.

Thanx for helping me tho.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2DRFT
    A lot of your wiring are connect either to your firewall by a black clip or those nasty
    è Ones, (I’ll get the photos up soon I promise) work your way over to the drivers side where you’ll find yourself in the same boat as the passenger side, lots of relays, and 2 door plugs, a rear loom plug, a resistor and a few modules, disconnect the lot (I also forgot to tell you your window wiper module is on the passenger side) now that your loom is detached from the firewall (refer to below picture) move back into the engine bay.

<Insert picture here>

* To be continued tomorrow @ 20mins to 5pm 13/1/6 *
    dude this seemed to end abit abruptly.

i am now up to this phase of wiring the car while everything is still out so i can see what i am doing.

but i am a little stumped, hoping you can offer some advise.

i did the same thing you did, took the whole wiring loom out of the halfcut and put it in mine, dash loom and front loom, this will al connect to the engine so it should work fine.

however where the body loom meets at the fuse box in the drivers footwell, there are 3 plugs, that all, 3 plugs. just wondering how you went about redoing these plugs so the MA loom meets the new JZA loom/fusebox.

i was looking at where they go, and it looks like most i can simply change the pins to the new plug, but there are other wires in the jza plugs that mine do not have, did you find this?

i know you mentioned you have to rewire the door plugs, but i have already done this, all i need is the rear body loom
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Xistant

^^ atm im still wrighting up this section, kinda hard when you busy with other stuff

your body loom the colour coding is the same, so jsut splice the wires with your ma70 loom and jza70 plug, and you should be ok.

Conversion Master Grease Monkey Whiplash's Avatar

um anyone done a jzz30 1jz into a ma70 before. cos i have almost finished and yet to start the wireing stage. so anyone with experiance would be nice

Toymods Club Member Domestic Engineer Danners's Avatar

Is the rest of this guide still coming? I'm about to convert my MZ20 to 1J and would love to read it!

Dan

Xistant

its still going, but in .pdf (up to page 32) and only halfway through.

Toymods Club Member Domestic Engineer Danners's Avatar

Would you mind if i had a read of what you've got so far? I'm starting work on this next weekend...

Dan

Xistant

just pm me what your after and i'll extract it for ya

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

nice write up so far KC, hows the rest of it goin

Forum Member

hay guys im just new at this but how can i find this finished

cresta chump. Backyard Mechanic

Probably going to have to wing it.
    There are *MANY* people who have done either this conversion or a JZA70 halfcut into a MZ20 (mechanically identical), so there's lots of help, and various pictures and advice on a number of threads in the buildups and such.
    Going with this thread though, does anyone have xistant's pictures cached? As it'd be good to have them up, methinks.

cresta chump. Backyard Mechanic

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quick and hopefully an easy question.

i have an MX70 with 1JZXTT non VVTI fitted some 20 years ago.

Unfortunately a lot of little things were not connected.

1/ Check engine light
    2/ clicking/indication O/D light on gearshift (auto)
    3/ no oxygen sensors fitted

I would like to these issues ASAP

1/ CEL is the T4 pinout a switched ground signal?? ie grounded with ignition on but open after ECU does its checks unless it finds a fault? If so then i can wire a light in with a 12v Pos supply. and connect T4 to the other side?

2/ Absolutely dont know where to start on this? im guessing a VSS speed signal issue? Only using the VSS in speedo head to drive the trans, NO VSS on Trans output shaft

3/ I think i can follow this back to the ECU OK on myself but any ideas welcomed

Regards

rob