Thread: 1JZ into MX83 using JZX90 Halfcut?

Forum Member

Default 1JZ into MX83 using JZX90 Halfcut?

I know this has been covered before but couldnt confirm some information based on using a JZX0 Halfcut.

If using a JZX90 Halcut (Turbo Manual) into MX83 Cressida, what parts are required. I have had a look through the forums and have found a bit of info but not 100%.

Engine Mounts: JZX90 Engine mounts used back to front will fit I have been told.

Engine Crossmember: Will the JZX90 Engine Crossmember fit the MX83, and if not what is best to use? Obviously JZX81 but can be very hard to find. Hoping JZX90 will fit?

Gearbox Crossmember: Have been told the Existing MX83 Auto crossmember will fit? With the 5 Speed JZX90 Box?

Tailshaft: Will get custom made.

Basically want to know if using a JZX90 Halfcut what will fit, and what else will be required?

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ into MX83 using JZX90 Halfcut?

"Triptek" just put a JZA70 1JZGTE into an MX83, PM him, as hes cluey about all this stuff

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Dunno about the JZX90 engine mounts fitting, but JZX81 mounts are pretty easy to come by (available new from toyota). These will bolt up to a late MX83 crossmember (which is exactly the same as the JZX81 crossmember), don't even bother trying to fit the JZX90 crossmember.
    JZX90 transmission will not bolt up to the standard crossmember, IIRC the extension housing is different, it may be possible to swap the extension housing off your MX83/7M tranny. Standard tailshaft should fit.

EDIT: Whoops, I was talking autos. The R154 I'm not sure about, as far as I kknow it should fit with minimal hassle. Don't know about tailshaft though.

Forum Member

Have now found a MA70 5 Speed Halfcut. Have asked a few experienced people and found that the standard crossmember is fine. The Half cut comes with JZX90 mounts which will fit backards. Also got a front sump. I'll need to get a custom Tailshaft made so thats no probs. Also, apparently the Auto MX83 Gearbox crossmember will fit the R154?

Will see how I go.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

jack it up and see! two minute job with a measuring tape!

Eldar.O.

old lurker Grease Monkey

aparently jzx90 will fit in backwards or engine mounts backwards ?
    but ..
    it puts the engine closer to the firewall

find a series 2 mx83 crossmember as they are identical to jzx81
    fear the chicks car