Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mx83 brake upgrade; my pics

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Default mx83 brake upgrade; my pics

I did the brake upgrade on my cressida and it was very easy and the braking improvement is awesome; for anyone that doesnt know it consists of FORD BA discs and R33 GTS-T calipers that bolt on to the cressida.

bai bai shitty single piston caliper and rotor!

Probably the hardest part was making sure that the hub was properly cleaned of rust and dirt. I used disc spacers because the INTERNAL DIAMETER of the discs is larger than the OUTER DIAMETER of the hub.

I got the spacers made from an aluminium-nickel-bronze alloy since it is harder and more corrosion resistant than aluminium (plus I have a friend who is a fitter so cost wasnt a problem).

They were made as a press fit so making sure the hub was clean was important!

The red is Locktite I think I put a little bit too much on...

I also had a tool made up to hit the spacer on, I dont think I would have been able to do it without this tool or something similar (like a big truck socket) because of the tolerance if it even goes the slightest bit wonky it gets stuck.

As it was I didnt clean the hub properly and the spacer expanded a little bit, making the disc a tighter fit than I expected, this fixed itself up after installing and removing the disc a few times.

I was about to install the calipers when Joel forced me to let him file off the nissan logo
    I am glad he did it because they look heaps better (ghey nissan) plus only took about 5 minutes.

For some reason the mx83 brake lines wouldnt fit onto the caliper. No one else I know has had this problem; it looked like the nut had been overtightened and the end of the thread was damaged.

I was referred to a place in Thornleigh called Brake Pro and turned up at 4:30pm on a friday arvo. The guy was really good he made me up a set on the spot.

After the conversion was complete, I used the old nissan pads (still had enogh pad on them) to bed in the discs for about 300kms, before upgrading to EBC greenstuff and bedding them in really well.

Changing the pads made a huge difference and the car now stops like a dream.

During the bleeding process I accidently let the master cylinder run dry and that gave me a lot of problems getting the air out.

Eventually I got B&R to bleed them for $45, but I could have done it again myself because it took a while for the air to 'pool' at the rear calipers (apparently).

I reccomend this upgrade for any mx83 cressida even if you keep the stock engine.
    Last edited by PlacentaJuan; 09-01-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: mx83 brake upgrade; my pics

I documented this upgrade when I did it last year.

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Bra...de/default.htm

Funny how you don't mention where you got this brilliant idea from. (Note: it wasn't mine).

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Courtesy of the guys at Thermactor i believe is where PJ got the idea. So tell us Norbs, who came up with it in the first place?
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

It wasnt my idea I thought it was just common knowledge that this conversion was possible;

It was my brother Joel that told me about the conversion and cressida forums that I got info from.

Its basically just a bolt-on upgrade so its not like you need a lot of instructions but I just wanted to share my experiences,

Sorry for whoevers idea I stole.

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Courtesy of the guys at Thermactor i believe is where PJ got the idea. So tell us Norbs, who came up with it in the first place?
    AFAIK it was John Duel from Importbitz.

Mödërätör Automotive Encyclopaedia

Looks good... bolt on conversions are great aren't they.

Tell me, now that you have bigger brakes on the front will it now alter the brake bias? Like if you stomp on the brake pedal are you going to lock the rears up first? I ask this because when following a friend's Cressida who has done this brake upgrade he locked the rears quite badly when coming into a corner.

If this kind of thing, or something else you do, does alter bias how do you correct it?
    Simon.

1991 Toyota Cressida (JZX83).
    1967 Morris Mini Deluxe (1330cc A+).

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    I ask this because when following a friend's Cressida who has done this brake upgrade he locked the rears quite badly when coming into a corner.
    He probably has crap suspension, or down shifted at the same time and caused a compression style lockup.

Even after this upgrade you should only ever lock up the fronts first (unless one of the two above things come into play).
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

why doesnt this work for a soarer

*goes off and cries in the corner*
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

I haven't had any problems with brake bias.

Mödërätör Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    He probably has crap suspension, or down shifted at the same time and caused a compression style lockup.

Even after this upgrade you should only ever lock up the fronts first (unless one of the two above things come into play).
    Hmmm... i spoke to him about it and i don't think he downshifted.. perhaps it was just the bumps in the road and the fact that it was a steep downhill and a corner.

And it was i2obert on the Cressida forums if you were wondering who i'm talking about.
    Simon.

1991 Toyota Cressida (JZX83).
    1967 Morris Mini Deluxe (1330cc A+).

Hm, that reminds me, i should really get off my buttocks and put my brake upgrade in
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Hm, that reminds me, i should really get off my buttocks and put my brake upgrade in
    while youre there...put one in mine too
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Lols, mine is bolt on, as above. You can come witness the pain when i build the caliper adaptors to fit R32 brakes onto the sprinter under 14" rims.

by witness the pain i think you mean...

"drink beer and laugh"
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    Looks good... bolt on conversions are great aren't they.

Tell me, now that you have bigger brakes on the front will it now alter the brake bias? Like if you stomp on the brake pedal are you going to lock the rears up first? I ask this because when following a friend's Cressida who has done this brake upgrade he locked the rears quite badly when coming into a corner.

If this kind of thing, or something else you do, does alter bias how do you correct it?
    no the back has never locked up, being a grande my mx83 has ABS so the fronts dont lock up either lol

in my last cressida mx73, after i got EBC blackstuff pads all round, i DID notice that the back locked up under heavy braking (no ABS) while the front didnt lock up at all.

although this didnt really affect the braking distance, i did make me wonder why...