Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1UZ-FE VVTi into IS200

Way too old to be a Grease Monkey stevevp's Avatar

Default Re: 1UZ-FE VVTi into IS200

Mos, when you are ready for exhaust manifolds to be made - grab yourself a set of the soarer headers from Rush Imports but get Neil to supply the drivers side in unwelded/kit form. The passenger side should fit with minimal modification and will save you cash and fabrication time. http://www.reanimotion.com/toymods/images/DSCN0695.JPG
    Steve
    1992 MX83 Cressida powered by 1UZ-FE - A little bit Toyota, a little bit An-i-mal
    1981 Porsche 928S "Herr Vader"

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

The only problem with the Rush headers is that it groups the wrong pistons on the passengers side.

You might never notice the difference in power, so dunno if you'll care.
    But for the $$'s you can't go wrong.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Very nice work Mos. Modifying a IS200 is one of them dreams of mine and seeing you drop a 1UZ into yours is just awsome to watch. Keep up the excellent work.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Love the wooden engine mounts. To make mine I sat the engine on timber packers to the right position than made the mounts from cardboard & masking tape. They were a but flexible so the wood version would be better.

Keep up the good work - can't wait for you to get the wiring. Then you can solve a few niggles that I still have with mine.
    Graham D
    Lexus RX350 (no mods yet !!!)
    Lexus IS200 / 2.5GT-T (1JZGTE VVTi + Getrag 6 Speed)
    Lexus IS200 (wife's car and no mods allowed !!!)
    Suzuki GSX750-F

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Good work Mos, some solid progress there. The engine mounts look great, should pass engineering no worries.
    Hence the silver paint

Quote Originally Posted by grahamd
    Love the wooden engine mounts. To make mine I sat the engine on timber packers to the right position than made the mounts from cardboard & masking tape. They were a but flexible so the wood version would be better.
    Yeah, Rod suggested exactly your method, but the advantage of wood is that it will support the weight of the engine and you get to see exactly where everything will sit. I used the UZZ30 isolators with the original 1UZ alloy mounts and various spacers as a point of reference. Without spacers the sump was sitting on the crossmember. 12mm and 16mm spacers were tried (thickness of MDF I had lying around) and the 16mm yeilded better clearances all around.

Measuring the alloy mount, the UZZ30 isolator and crossmember gave the baseline and points of reference from which to work. Ended up drawing everything up using my old A3 drawing board from back in year 7 (16 odd years ago?). All the MDF bits were cut to dimensions straight from the drawing (using a compass for transferring dimensions - Dave from SAS had a good laugh at the concept ). It ended up being out by 6mm in height - hence the 6mms of washers - haven't worked out the source of the error but the design for the steel version takes that into account (and the fact that the steel is 6mm compared to the 12mm MDF).

(The 2JZ mounts in the cressida were done the same way - wooden templates before any steel was ever touched - fabrication of the steel happened 30km away from the car and assembled without modification).

Managed to cut out the "trapezoids" this morning (before the wedding). Both flange plates were cut out the day before. (I'm actually finding it's easier to cut steel with precision than wood... the steel cuts are accurate to under 0.5mm using a grinder with a 1.0mm cutting disc).

The steel still needs to be cleaned up and tacked together for a final trial fit before welding. Hopefully that will happen Monday night (somewhere around the monthly club meeting).

The rectangle to the right of the two trapezoids is the transmission crossmember "relocator" (in case anyone is wondering - currently it's MDF ); it will be placed between the rubber mount and the extension housing to extend the rubber mount by 20mm. The alloy mount has two positions depending on how it ends up lining up.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamd
    Keep up the good work - can't wait for you to get the wiring. Then you can solve a few niggles that I still have with mine.
    What niggles do you have?
    Based on the wiring diagrams installing the LS400 ECU into the IS200 should not pose any problems (other than immobiliser) provided the MPX communicates. Aftermarket ECU install, if required, will very much be a suck it and see operation (as will be the 5 speed auto control...).

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow
    i might be able to do something about the key security

you will have to buy a genuine toyota key transponder
    not sure how much they cost

i have someone who can supply 2 new keys recoded to suit the ecu

so if u want to send us the ecu i will get all the info needed on it then send it to them and

see if they can do it

no use sending it to them if they cant

but at end of the day it will cost you i think anywhere 400 to 500 to do this plus price of transponder
    Thanks heaps for looking into this! I've been a slack ass over the last few weeks I'll give you a ring regarding the details.

By key transponder do you mean the device on the steering column that interrogates the keys? If so, the IS200 has one, and the original IS200 keys are transponder types.

Quote Originally Posted by stevevp
    Mos, when you are ready for exhaust manifolds to be made - grab yourself a set of the soarer headers from Rush Imports but get Neil to supply the drivers side in unwelded/kit form. The passenger side should fit with minimal modification and will save you cash and fabrication time. http://www.reanimotion.com/toymods/images/DSCN0695.JPG
    Thanks for the suggestion but there's a plan in place already

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    The only problem with the Rush headers is that it groups the wrong pistons on the passengers side.
    You might never notice the difference in power, so dunno if you'll care.
    Incorrect phasing seems to be a common theme on a lot of headers for these engines The yellow Sportcross had stainless headers with incorrect grouping on the left side.
    Anyone know what size the rush tubing is? Peewee, what sizes did you use?

Given the port diameters on the VVTi 1UZ are 36mm, we'll be using 1"5/8 primaries (38ish ID) going to 2" secondaries and 2.5" outers (based on Liverpool Exhaust's experience with Soarers).
    There isn't as much space in the IS as there is in the MZ10, so will be interesting to see how "equal" the lengths will end up.
    Given the unequal delays between firing events within groupings, has anyone put thought into fabricating unequal length primaries? (Or am I thinking about this completely incorrectly?)

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    Very nice work Mos. Modifying a IS200 is one of them dreams of mine and seeing you drop a 1UZ into yours is just awsome to watch. Keep up the excellent work.
    Thank you. Although to be honest it's hard not to think about just putting the 1G back in, so encouragements like yours do help with motivation

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

hey mos - the engine manual finally arrived last week

ps - im jealous that youre making progress
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Anyone know what size the rush tubing is? Peewee, what sizes did you use?
    Unsure about rush, but I'm pretty sure mine are 1.5" primaries, unsure of secondaries, and 2.5" finals.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Way too old to be a Grease Monkey stevevp's Avatar

The rush headers I have are 40mm OD primaries, which would be very close to your 1-5/8" tubing
    Steve
    1992 MX83 Cressida powered by 1UZ-FE - A little bit Toyota, a little bit An-i-mal
    1981 Porsche 928S "Herr Vader"

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

If you put the 'G' back in now Mos i'll come down and get the UZ to fit in a much tighter space than you ever thought possible

The exhaust fitting will be trying but with all the practise of 'patience' you have from wiring projs you should be right.

For incentive, we can swap UZ drives the next wakefield day GT is organising for March? You can choose whether you want to lap with 320rwkw or 400+
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevevp
    The rush headers I have are 40mm OD primaries, which would be very close to your 1-5/8" tubing
    I have the larger Rush ones on my Soarer and they are 1 3/4 primaries (~45mm)

Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8
    For incentive, we can swap UZ drives the next wakefield day GT is organising for March? You can choose whether you want to lap with 320rwkw or 400+

ohhhh a mission....
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

There's a thought, want to make this challenge a menage a trois Ed? In the automotive sense of the phrase only of course
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

Only if it's march '08
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

Quote Originally Posted by clubagreenie
    Only if it's march '08
    ROFLMAO

TTUZ Lotus Elise by then
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

If you are using the LS400 ECU you may not have as many problems.

On mine there is the fuel gauge jumping on 1/4tank jumps - it needs to see the 1G-FE injectors to gauge how much fuel has been used, the fuel economy gauge doesn't work at all - may be linked to the fuel gauge issue, and the air-conditioning has some of the circuity bypassed at the moment to keep it working. The other issues I have are with the Autronic and not the Lexus side. Have now bought an oscilloscope to see what some of the signals look like to sort out the last few issues. Hope to get to work on it oer the Christmas break and may know some more of the answers.

The air-con problem is very commone issue with engine swaps in the IS200.
    Graham D
    Lexus RX350 (no mods yet !!!)
    Lexus IS200 / 2.5GT-T (1JZGTE VVTi + Getrag 6 Speed)
    Lexus IS200 (wife's car and no mods allowed !!!)
    Suzuki GSX750-F