Thread: 3VZ-FE V6 into RN85R Hilux

Forum Member

Default 3VZ-FE V6 into RN85R Hilux

I currently have in my posession a RN85R Hilux 2wd and 2 complete 3VZ-FE left over from a previous experiment. I could easily just flog both these engines off but the option and challenge of merging the hilux and a common V6 sort of appeals to me.

Has anyone reading done this conversion before or maybe a better question is has anyone placed this particular engine in RWD formation yet.

I know from previous experience that the wonderful people at Toyota stragegically positioned many pieces out there to allow unusual combinations to be bolted together without too much modification.

Is there a known bellhousing that would allow this engine to be used in RWD formation. The only one i can think of but are yet to aquire and measure is the one out of a 3VZ-E powered 4runner though that to my knowledge is only a 4WD vehicle thought the engine does sit in north- south configuration.

As far as the ECU on my project I have an urge to have a play with the Megasquirt or either reprogram the EPROM in an AC-Delco (of which I have one in my posession with a full set of sensors, coilpack for a V6 and assorted trigger wheels) Another option I am toying with is making one of those Jaycar digital fuel adjustors to help the mapping of the standard ECU (of which I also have one) but i'm not sure how that will go when it finds a RWD manual gearbox behind it instead of a FWD auto.

If all this sounds like I'm being a bit cheap with the ECU then it probably because I am. I believe that with a bit of homework, playing around experimentation there is no reason to resort to the expensive Haltech/ EMS/ Autotronic options to get a desired result of reprogramable fuel mapping.

Anyhow I'm just wishing to put my idea out seeking any prior knowledge and experience with the 3VZ-FE in RWD configuration, if anyone has played around with the ECU on one or just to be shot down in flames by the narrow minded.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 3VZ-FE V6 into RN85R Hilux

I think for a bolt-in option, the only one is a R-series transmission. There is the R154 and what I recall was a 2wd R151 (no t-case, but same as 4wd's...truck gearing).

Since the 3VZ-E's and 5VZ-FE's are interchangeable in 4wd pickups, and 5VZ-FE's and 3VZ-FE's are interchangable in MR2's (correct?), I would expect the 3VZ_FE would work with the R-tranny's.

I am not 100% though.

Isn't the intake manifold a bit funky on that one because it is made for a transverse application...???

Forum Member

Your reasoning is sound.

Yes the intake in very funky on this engine but I have fabricated Phlenum's before useing the rule of 3 times the volume of the engine. So in thid case withe the engine being 3 litres, I need the volume of the phlenum to be roughly 9 litres. Shape is not really that important as you look at it like a reservoir that is allready full. It's contents is governed by either the MAP sensor or in the case of the 3VZ-FE the AFM.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

Giant tomato made a box adaptor for the w5* boxes, more speifically for those on the back of an R series engine

if ur keen to offload 1 of those 3vz's gimme a yell
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Forum Member

Untill your finished your project, you can never have to many spare parts, one of those engines is allready disassembled for easy storage and manouverability. I have been toying with the idea of cutting up the intake valley manifold as I would really like to play with the idea of six ITB's, you know like on the contach's and early lambo's and ferarri's. Seen that I can't forsee in the near future of owning an engine like one of those it would be nice to make one of my own that has at least the sound of one

If anyone wants a challenge or to do something different have a look at this product

http://extrudabody.com/

For me it's either this or getting my hands on 2 sets of 4age 20v ones. Then it's just back to the megasquirt or delco to get this beast going.

Giant tomato made a box adaptor for the w5* boxes, more speifically for those on the back of an R series engine

if ur keen to offload 1 of those 3vz's gimme a yell
    Thanks for that

A while ago I followed a project on a UK site:

http://forums.twobrutal.com/

This project was some visionary putting a 1UZ-FE into an early MR2. Anyone who reads this I wholey recommend searching for that thread. Infact they have a whole section on this site of mad bastards shoehorning V8's into MR2's

Anyway they made an adapter plate similar to this in getting the 1UZ-FE attatched in east- west formation.