Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 1UZ-FE VVTi into IS200

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 1UZ-FE VVTi into IS200

there is another awesome bolt place near penrith (just south a bit?)
    got my allen key 10x1.25 or 12x1.25 (i forgot?) high tensile bolts from there...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

yeah, they start getting a bit thin on the ground with the real funky stuff. they can get it in, but youve got to buy a box, whereas boltmaster has them on the shelf - i was amazed with their variety in stock actually.

spillers is still my first port of call, and theyre a good bunch o guys, but boltmaster would be the go for the specialty/hard to find things
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

The 1uz sounded so quiet last night at the meeting, kinda like it almost wasnt there!

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

Ed's boltmaster is actually Lee Brothers in Dunlop Street Nth Parra. They (and that includes the staff) have been there for at least 30 years. And I don't think they've (the staff) have left during that time either.

They were also the only place that could find M8 x 1.5 of any type that suits a few holes on early 2/4M's .
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clubagreenie
    Ed's boltmaster is actually Lee Brothers in Dunlop Street Nth Parra. They (and that includes the staff) have been there for at least 30 years. And I don't think they've (the staff) have left during that time either.

They were also the only place that could find M8 x 1.5 of any type that suits a few holes on early 2/4M's .
    Also known as the Nut House
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    Also known as the Nut House
    AKA Toymods
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Just some minor bits (that have been around for a while, just no photos till now).

When working on the exhaust components in the car, the illusion of space was very deceptive - I did not realise how little space there is between the chassis rails until this was assembled out of the car.

The cats are the lowest part of the exhaust and hang down quite low, but that's the compromise with having them early in the exhaust.. (to give passing emissions more of a chance and to give room further down for more mufflers).

The fuel and brake lines had to get moved out of the way - they take up about half of the available space in the factory position.
    The lines are covered in a plastic sheath, so I'm not sure if they'll need to be protected better than that - thoughts? The brackets still need to be covered with something.

The heat shield attempts to keep the heat of the cats away from the lines and the floor - there is a substantial air gap between the shield and the chassis rail, but I'm considering adding some further insulating material to the lines, such as tubing that is sometimes used on rubber oil drain hoses - thoughts?

The A/C Evaporator drain will have to be moved, as currently it sits directly on to of the heat shield and there is no space to make a drip tray - a hole through the shield will let water drip directly on the collector.

The headers will get ceramic coated, so I'm not sure I'll need much shielding further up as the air gap is quite large - 2 to 4 inches. I guess it depends on which coating is used.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

my thoughts, cats get pretty hot when they work.
    to protect the pipes and stuff, i'd think about having some kind of fibre insulation under the heat shield.
    ideally (as a guess),one heat shield, then 5-10mm air gap, then second metal shield with fibre behind it... so you have both a radiant and conduction shield in place..

thoughts?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    my thoughts, cats get pretty hot when they work.
    to protect the pipes and stuff, i'd think about having some kind of fibre insulation under the heat shield.
    ideally (as a guess),one heat shield, then 5-10mm air gap, then second metal shield with fibre behind it... so you have both a radiant and conduction shield in place..

thoughts?

by the looks of his undercarriage i'd say that'd be hard. looks like he's barely got room as it is he only really needs the cats on there for the emissions test haha just joking
    beer me!

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

The A/C drain is just a bit of rubber tube that'll be taped to the grommet on the inside of the car.
    Just get longer tube (maybe even braided to protect it if it sits on the exhaust heat shield) & have it running off to the side a bit.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic STR8 2.8's Avatar

what about putting some of that heat sleeve/fire foil stuff over the lines? not the best, but simple and easy for the small space
    I have a Crown

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

if more shielding is needed you could always use some of that exhaust heat wrap stuff, that white fabric stuff, you know what i mean!
    beer me!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Can you shed the light , where do u buy that sheiled tin stuff again , the stuff above yr cats
    Dave

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

looking good man! just wondering if there's going to be a flex join in there somewhere or is there another way of not having the whole system rock with the engine?

Junior Member Grease Monkey ira11y's Avatar

The heat shield attempts to keep the heat of the cats away from the lines and the floor - there is a substantial air gap between the shield and the chassis rail, but I'm considering adding some further insulating material to the lines, such as tubing that is sometimes used on rubber oil drain hoses - thoughts?

You could use the same heat fabric that I had on the AE70, it comes in a pre sown sock type and works a treat, would be easy to undo one end of the lines and slip it over the top all the way down the rail. I still use it over the cooling pipes on my bike which sit hard against the exhaust at the head and they have made a 17C temp difference at 100kmh over 10mins.

Its not cheap at about $70 a metre but well worth the protection... last thing you need is a ruptured fuel line next to that Cat

BTW wish you had of told me about the thread before Xmas, might have told you a different story on the ph yesterday

beautifull work!

And Jase.. you look so sexy in leather gloves nice welds mate.
    Cheers Michael
    Opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one.