Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1UZ-FE VVTi into IS200

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Default Re: 1UZ-FE VVTi into IS200

Congrats Mos,

I have been waiting for you to start this writeup, and I look foward to seeing it progress!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Very nice..

I just put one into a Hi_lux but I am a IS man so this is next on my list for the new year..

Will be nice to see the hurdles instead of jumping them myself..

PS nice choice of cars

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Nice work Mos, awesome to see this get under way! I will be watching with interest. But, for those of us not from the inner sanctum, what are the management/ignition developments? I remember chatting to you at toyotafest wsid and you were optomistic, but a tad cagey too.

So, is there somewhere i can sign up for some sort of sweepstakes on who gets theirs on the road first???
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic v8soarer's Avatar

Noice! Do you know if the 1UZ weighs more or less than the original motor?
    My TT 6 speed manual V8 Soarer (sold)
    Wakefield: 1:06.7
    Phillip Island: 1:51.9

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

I'm on the couch sick as a dog

That was a sight to brighten my day though Mos...keep progress and pics coming.

n/a mate to get it running, so a W58 will do just fine. Not like you'll have trouble selling it if/when upgrade time comes around.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

It's not an 18R-G, but you make do with what you can.

Nice work, sunshine. Keeps us updated, and some +rep coming your way to help your already significantly high Repost ratio.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

that will sound amazing
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Progress report??

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

ooohh, that's hot as. Looking forward to updates! *subscribed*

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

I'm actually being lazy with picking, resizing and uploading photos. (Including photos of the firewall clearance).

Non-graphical update follows. Edit: Photos filtering in.

Engine has lost its headers. The exhaust flange is the same as non-VVTi models (the cast manifold was removed to trial fit the non-vvti celsior stainless tubular headers, which fit the heads, but don't fit the car any better, so custom headers will have to happen). [Incidently, the stainless tubular header is absolutely crap - the casting is much much better. Primary size is 37mm on the cast vs 34mm on the tubular].

Removal of headers allowed reward tilt, which placed engine closer to firewall.

5 speed auto was installed on engine and assembly trial fitted (Thanks Simon!). Gearbox crossmember partially bolts up (1 set of holes lines up).

Engine, with current sump, sits less than 20mm away from firewall brace on the right bank (the left bank, being offset forward, clears by more).

In the current engine position, JZA80 W58 with the NZ bellhousing will place the shifter exactly on the centreline of the auto shifter, if required.

Pressed steel bowl of sump is being modified to remove the "hump" to allow for the almost straight crossmember - donor vehicle, like many earlier vehicles, have concave crossmembers. The removal of said hump will give sump clearance and allow some rearward engine movement. (Engine movement, in this context, refers to how much the engine can be moved before its position becomes determined and fixed with mounts - it does NOT refer to engine movement during normal operation).

Rearward engine placement is restricted by the corners of the heads approaching a brace running across the firewall. Massaging, or modification of said brace would allow non trivial rearward engine movement, however, discussions with engineer resulted in the notion that any chassis modification are a really really bad idea given the stringest post 95 frontal crash requirements - any modifications need to look like they could've come out of the factory (and they wouldn't in this case). Modifications to this brace would compromise chassis rigidity as it ties the chassis rails a lot more than a conventional firewall does. For the sake of 30mm these modifications are no longer being considered. In addition the oil pickup would get extremely close to crossmember without raising the whole assembly.

Currently the centre of mass of the 1UZ is estimated to be around 25mm further forward but substantially lower than the centre of mass of the 1G. The engine is likely to be moved another 10mm rearward without firewall modifications, improving the weight distribution marginally.

Correct engine isolators still need to be sourced (1UZ mounting plane is horizontal, 1G and crossmember are angled).

A potential suitable isolator has been located (mounting surfaces are angled by the correct amount) however mounting height needs to be determined prior to purchase.

Tailshaft needs modification regardless of transmission choice. W58 needs extending by about 100mm, A350 needs donut retrofit and extension.

Next steps are replacing the passenger side window of girlfriend's car that got graciously smashed by a council whipper snipper, and wiring up a VVTi 1JZ in yet another cressida (ain't it smashing that you can't get away from other peoples' cars even when your daily is off the road )... A bunch of christmas parties is also getting in the way Hopefully I'll find some more excuses before the next installment

Mos.
    Last edited by Mos; 17-12-2006 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added photos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Update: Just wasted an hour cleaning up a thread instead of mocking up engine mounts.

Mos.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Update: Just wasted an hour cleaning up a thread instead of mocking up engine mounts.
    Impressive. Got any photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mos
    Impressive. Got any photos?
    Sure do. Also added photos to previous update.

Quick update.
    Attempt using 1UZ mounts with UZZ30 isolators (single stud top and bottom, 15 degree angle). The previously mentioned isolator with 2 lower studs could not be used because it did not drop into the existing crossmember holes - this mount, being single lower stud, dropped straight into the outer crossmember hole. The only problem was the isolators are not tall enough, so needed a 16mm spacer (12mm was tried) to give sufficient clearance around the sump, resulting in only 3mm of thread available on the lower stud.

Mock up; using 1G isolators (parallel mounting surfaces, 1 stud top, 2 stud bottom, approximately 80mm tall unloaded). Angle of block mounting surface is 45 degrees (surprise surprise) and crossmember mounting angle is 15 degree, hence mount has provides for the 30 degrees included angle. This form of mount allows any desired longitudonal engine position (engine is sitting approximately 20 mm further rearward in the below photo compared to the above photo). Another benefit is additional space for exhaust headers.

All that's required now is some more long wood screws and some silver paint.

You may be able to notice flex in the bottom piece of wood - that's due to washers to lift the engine up by 6mm (12mm was too much). Next step is to cut out the rest of the steel equivalents (really need that soundproof garage... ).

The current position gives ample clearance around the modified sump and sufficient clearance on the back of the head.

Sleep is good. Excuse for tomorrow is "wedding"

Mos.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Good work Mos, some solid progress there. The engine mounts look great, should pass engineering no worries.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

i might be able to do something about the key security

you will have to buy a genuine toyota key transponder
    not sure how much they cost

i have someone who can supply 2 new keys recoded to suit the ecu

so if u want to send us the ecu i will get all the info needed on it then send it to them and

see if they can do it

no use sending it to them if they cant

but at end of the day it will cost you i think anywhere 400 to 500 to do this plus price of transponder