Thread: What to replace when putting in new springs?

Junior Member Grease Monkey ra65's Avatar

Default What to replace when putting in new springs?

Getting some king lows for my ra65 next week and was wondering what else I need to replace at the same time (rubber etc) and where would I get hold of it?

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

Default Re: What to replace when putting in new springs?

My advice is to not put in stiffer springs before putting better dampers in - so either swap the dampers & springs at same time (which makes sense from a labour point of view), or put the mone yon dampers first then buy the springs later. Underdamped springs will annoy you, give a bounc yride, and quickly wear out stock-replacement-type dampers.

Are you doing the work yourself or paying a shop?

The lower spring rubber (sits under spring and ontop of swingarm) at the back is often completely shagged on our cars. When put my rear springs in years ago, mine had disintegrated, and when I rang aroun the susp shop said they would have to cut down a generic insulator to suit. So I booked it in, and what they ended up doing is slide small diameter radiator hose on the bottom coils. Great idea, the size they used is a perfect fit, but if they'd told me I could have done it myself

While you're at it, you *could* swap in new swaybar bushes, but you don't have to - you certainly don't have to disconnect the front swaybar to remove the struts, and IIRC the same applies for the rear.

Hope this helps.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

when u change springs put in new bumpstops

Quote Originally Posted by Jorrs
    when u change springs put in new bumpstops
    Care to elaborate on this? Do you mean replace with shorter ones to reduce travel (IMO not neccessary in this application) or simply replace with an OEM part?

After 20 years, my front bumpstops look fine. I wouldn't replace them without good reason.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

just something ive always done when lowering cars, when u lower the car with lowering springs puts more strain on the bumpstops, so just an idea to replace them so u dont have to go through the bother of taking it all apart again to replace them in the future.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

if you are lowering it more than 2.5 inches, i would cut a few segments off the standard bumstops (wouldn't replace them) otherwise you will be hitting them all the time and your car will skip all over the road.

just have a good look around to make sure you won't hit anything with shorter bumpstops.

install new shocks at the same time, heavy duty style replacements at the least, i use KYB shocks on mine and they worked well (better than the shagged out 20 year old ones anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by shinybluesteel
    if you are lowering it more than 2.5 inches, i would cut a few segments off the standard bumstops (wouldn't replace them) otherwise you will be hitting them all the time and your car will skip all over the road.
    )
    Exactly what I was trying to say.

If you're putting more strain on the bumpstops, then they're too long for your travel.

I was going to say that bumpstops shouldnt be under any strain under normal use, and didn't really get your first post, but now i understand what you meant.

you could replace them with shorter ones for sure, because if you lower a car on standard bumpstops, you will hit them - all the time (like when i lowered my sprinter the first time and had 10mm of suspension travel on the front end) and it makes the car a real shit to drive.

you need to cut them down to get good suspension travel, but bear in mind that they are there for a reason.

on and AE86 the bumpstops are segmented, so its very easy to get a woodsaw and take the first segment off, front and rear.

Keep in mind that xA6x Celica King Lows only lower around 1.5" IIRC, and they are stiffer than stock. I have an RA65 with King lows all round, and even when underdamped with monroe GTs didn't have bumpstop issues.

EDIT: Nevermind

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

1.5" as stated by the manufacturer of the springs?

because the actual lowered amount rarely is the same as quoted by the manufacturer, and thats before sag in the springs sets in...

Eldar.O.

yeah well i only had a problem because mine dropped my car 3 inches, if they are king lows then it wont be necassasry.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I put some king low (not superlow) in an MA61 not too long ago, and it ended up going riiight down, especially at the back.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I have always used 1.5" Lovells and found them to be a good compromise between comfort and handling. I once used 2.5" lowered and found them a right pain in the arse; ride quality suffered and I couldn't get the jack under the front cross-member! I also use monroe GT gas but would like to use Koni's later.