Thread: 3S-GE GOING Main bearing....?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3S-GE GOING Main bearing....?

Hey!
    Just wondering if interest possibly for a car I may be interested in...
    I've been told that the ar has a main bearing that is almost gone...or 'going to go'...Just wondering what would be required for me if I purchased this...?
    I guess I'm just wondering can I jus replace the main bearing...or should I replace the whole block...or obviously does the extent of how much it's 'gone' determine what needs to be replaced...?
    Also, what would be more worthwhile...? Completely replacing the whole engine...? Or rebuilding just the bits that are needed...?
    I'm told it's a jap spec engine that was rebuilt VERY recently (ie. only 5000 - 10000km ago) so I was just wondering what could have caused the main bearing to fail so quickly?
    Thanks a lot guys!
    Hope to hear from someone soon! THanks!
    -rob! <><

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

Default Re: 3S-GE GOING Main bearing....?

lack of oil is generally what cause's our 3S-GE engines to spin a bearing.

couple of ways to go about this.

you can take the crankshaft out get it machined if it needs maching (i'd say it will) and get a replacement set of bearings. (might as well do piston rings while the pistons are out of the engine)

if your going for a replacement block.....i'd try and source a gen 2 3S-GE block...they have better oil feeders, and dont tend to suffer from busted bigends.

either way i'd probably suggest sourcing another engine unless your getting this one really really cheap due to this problem

do they have the reciepts or anything from when it was rebuilt. what work was done etc.
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Is that general concensus is it...? To basically just get a new engine...? Would it be either
    1. not worth it
    or
    2. less reliable

if I were to just fix or even rebuild the bottom end of the engine?
    Also just out of interest...are gen 2 heads/blocks interchangable with gen 1 stuff...?

At the moment the busted engine is IN the ST162...and I'm just wondering whether I should fix that...or just replace the engine altogether...I guess keeping in mind that I would be seriously considering replacing the engine in a few years time...so yeah...any thoughts...? THanks a lot for your comments tho!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I don't think there is any mechanic in the world that can diagnose "has a main bearing that is almost gone...or 'going to go'..."!!!

They're either completly wrong with just a WAG, lots of experience with an engine that is unlike every other engine in the world, or they know some history about how it was put together wrong.