Thread: 2JZ runs in weirdo limp mode when cold

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Default 2JZ runs in weirdo limp mode when cold

Slight problem with my engine atm, its a non-VVTi 2JZ-GTE from a JZA80 which is in my MA70....was installed in Japan so Im still finding new things out about how they done little bits and pieces everyday. When I start the car if I drive off straight away the engine will have no power at all over about 2,000rpm until the water temp is up to normal operating temp. Feels like its cutting ignition to some extent but I dont know why.

Norbie has suggested plug gaps to me or possibly munted plugs, but I dont understand why it would only happen when the engine is cold. Ive new plugs but havent had the chance to swap them over (I know I should try it first but first just thought Id check if anyone else has had the same problem)

Yes I know that the engine shouldnt be pushed when its cold anyway (thats why I havent worried about the problem until now).

Any info would be much appreciated!
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: 2JZ runs in weirdo limp mode when cold

are theyre any extra shit things they like to piggy back onto the ecu in japan
    they are kings of add ons and add ons ontop of add ons

if so remove it and make it std ecu

ill be in qld from tomorrow for a week so if u want to pay someone to look at it
    bring it to me

my number is 0415 904 947

does the conversion wiring look ok or bodge job

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZ runs in weirdo limp mode when cold

There are no piggy back gadgets (they were the first thing I went looking when i got the car hoping for secret bonuses )

Wiring is fairly dodgy, but Im not overly worried about that as me and Norbie wired my other 2JZ and Ive got my head round it pretty well these days. One day I'll be upgrading to a Haltech(or similar) so I'll worry about neatening things up when I do that.

Very much appreciate the offer though. (PM sent about other stuff )
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.