Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 6-speed

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Project 6-speed

After more than a year of procrastination Project 6-speed is finally underway! For those who don't know, I'm putting a Getrag V160 (JZA80 Supra TT 6-speed) into my 1984 MA61 Supra.

Progress so far isn't much but it's a start: removed the broken W58 5-speed, thoroughly degreased it (apparently the rear main seal is FUBAR) and took a few photos next to the V160. I haven't taken any proper measurements but as you can see below the 6-speed is freaking HUGE!

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Six...mparison01.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Six...mparison02.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Six...mparison03.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Six...mparison04.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Six...mparison05.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Six...mparison06.jpg

Still to come: detailed measurements and an initial test-fit. The latter will have to wait until I can get some volunteers to lend a hand - the 6-speed is as heavy as it looks! I can just barely manage a solo W58 install, but no chance with the V160.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Default Re: Project 6-speed

Haha, did you break witzl's gearbox?

I'm afraid I did. It actually lasted a lot longer than I was expecting though!

Junior Member Carport Converter

Far out thats huge!.

How do you plan to tackle the different shifter postion?.. looks like there is a fair difference.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

How much and where do you find a a V160? Also thing that would make the conversion alot more difficult would be final ratios. As I'm sure you know the overdrive gear, 6th is only like .793 but makes up with the 3.2ish diff. What diff ratios are you going to use?

Also usefull link for putting a 2jzgte with V160 into a MKiii. May have already seen it but it does have some info on how modified the V160 shifter to suit.

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/en/...conversion.htm

good luck, looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid
    How do you plan to tackle the different shifter postion?.. looks like there is a fair difference.
    Haven't given that much thought yet, I'm more worried about getting the box in the tunnel to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big rob
    How much and where do you find a a V160? Also thing that would make the conversion alot more difficult would be final ratios. As I'm sure you know the overdrive gear, 6th is only like .793 but makes up with the 3.2ish diff. What diff ratios are you going to use?
    The box was about $3k (bare) which I sourced from ImportBitz. I'll need to buy about $500 worth of stuff new from Toyota to get the crazy clutch mechanism working, it's way more complicated than the W58.

The overdrive ratio is nearly the same as the W58 so I can't see that being a problem. I currently have a 3.58:1 final drive ratio and I have no intentions of changing it. The 3.2:1 ratio in the JZA80 gives it a theoretical top speed of more than 300km/h which is something I doubt I'll ever need! I've seen 270 and that's scary enough.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

V160FTMFW

I like.

I buy.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

The only reason I see that there would be a need for a diffreence in comparison to a W58 is cruzing RPM. Larger capacity = more torque and therefore you can rev lower down the freeway. But I guess you have been driving with it through the W58 with similar ratios so it wont be much different.

I want to put a 2jzgte in my GZ20 and at the moment its going to be a R154. It comes with its pros and cons, mainly that stock MA70 ratios will work with it I'm just scared it may get broken. I would like the V160 but i dont know if the cost would justify it its in similar costs to an aristo half cut lol!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Holy crap, that's huge.

I hope you dont mind getting someone in the back seat to shift gears for you, haha.

Good luck, I think your gearbox breaking days will be over!

Well I hope so for your sake, those things arent cheap, haha.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Still to come: detailed measurements and an initial test-fit. The latter will have to wait until I can get some volunteers to lend a hand - the 6-speed is as heavy as it looks! I can just barely manage a solo W58 install, but no chance with the V160.
    *Raises hand to volunteer.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Looks like the shifter would be reasonably easy to shift a fair way forward from where it currently is by cutting and shutting the three legged thingy (technical term) it is on.

When you need a hand give a yell, I do a 2 week roster away, if I am home will come around, not very smart but I can lift heavy things.

regards
    jon

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

I dragged one of these fucking things up a steeply inclined driveway with my 'mate' (yes you Glenn ra45GTCelica!!) telling me what a whimp I was for not just picking it up and striding up the driveway with it. I managed to finally get it into his garage - he then attempted to pick it up only to rudely shocked by its weight.

We then grabbed some bathroom scales to find it weighed about 57kg.

He apologised.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Norbie and i managed to pick it up when he was moving.

It was far from light.

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Holy shit! I knew the V160 was big, but sitting next to the W58 it looks farken nuts!!!

Watcha doing with the 'ol W58? Ive got a mate whos after the bellhousing.

(PICS OF NEW WORKSHOP OR BAN!)
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

... until I can get some volunteers to lend a hand - the 6-speed is as heavy as it looks! .
    i'll gladly rock up, drink your beer, offer unsolicited opinions on things i have little experience with and maybe get dirty once or twice.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 06-11-2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: doh- bad editing, was going to quote sir2j but changed my mind ;)
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge