Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 6-speed

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Project 6-speed

Hi,Does anyone know what year celica this motor belongs to ST204 3SGE ? I presume it is a 2 ltr ?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwh1946
    Hi does anyone know what year celica the ST204 3SGE belongs to ? I presume it is a 2 ltr ?
    WTF? This has no relevance to MA61 6-speed conversions, start your own damn thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    Wow, thats pretty awsome! But where are the pictures!
    I'll get some pics when I've done something worth taking photos of! So far I've only bashed the tunnel out a few mm.

Good idea with the slide hammer GT, I'll give that a try if I have problems with the BFH method. Hopefully I won't need it though, I'm trying to do this without pulling the interior apart.

Oh and I've taken some detailed measurements of the W58 and I'm in the process of making a basic CAD drawing of its external dimensions. Later I'll do the same with the V160 so I can overlay both drawings and get an idea of exactly where the V160 is bigger than the W58. Should be fairly useful info, I don't think I've seen anything like this done before. Maybe I can find someone to do the same thing with an R154 too?

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Maybe I can find someone to do the same thing with an R154 too?
    Didn't Stenno do this when he dropped the 2JZ into the cursed MA70?

Looks like he was going to but didn't get around to it:
    http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/en/...nical/R154.htm

However he did take a lot of V160 measurements which is useful:
    http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/en/...nical/V160.htm

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

signing up.
    I want to see this happen
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Well, I do have one of each so I could snap some pics (well as soon as I get my V160 down from Sydney....)
    Maybe someone could do the CAD smarts (I am teH suck at computaz).

More pics:
    http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/SixSpeed/

As you can see the box is mostly in the tunnel, but there are clearance issues towards the rear. Unfortunately there are also fuel and brake lines in the way, and I don't think there's any way I can make this happen without relocating them. With a PITA.

Currently I can get the box within about 2 inches of its proper position, and to get it any further I'll need to beat (or possibly cut) the sides of the tunnel out. I suspect this won't be enough to get the box fully into position though - it looks like the rear of the box is going to foul the top of the tunnel once I jack it up further. If this happens my plan is to remove the top section of the tunnel around the shifter hole, which as you can see in one of the pics is a separate piece spot-welded onto the tunnel. By drilling out these welds I can remove a large part of the tunnel and give myself lots of extra headroom, then later on I can close the gap with a new piece.

You can also see how the shifter linkage is in almost exactly the right position with the external linkage mechanism removed. If I can find a way to graft a W58 shifter housing directly on top of that I'll be cheering. This is something I'll investigate closely once the box is in position.

Stay tuned for more updates, I'm going to start butchering the tunnel on the weekend.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Norbie!

I'll be up in brissy on the 15th/16th/17th december. If you come pick me up from Redcliffe on the friday nite, i'll happily drink your beer, laugh at your efforts, swear at teh freaken heavy box, bash things good with hammers, and tell you that you should use an 18R-G instead.

It would be teh rox0rs.

I expect you to be 90% done by then.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Sounds good to me. I'm actually planning to drive to Childers (approx 400km) on the 24th December so it better be more than 90% done by then! I'll be an unhappy camper if I have to drive the Orange Eyesore all that way.

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

I work in Redcliffe. I can pick you up and drop you at Norbie place if you like. (As long as you can handle teh 2jz powarzz)

Off to drink beer and go bowling on the Gold Coats afterwards, otherwise Id hang around and bash some stuff with you but I'll pop in and have a squiz anyways.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Unfortunately there are also fuel and brake lines in the way, and I don't think there's any way I can make this happen without relocating them. With a PITA.
    Would you need to upgrade to a bigger fuel line for a big single anyway?? (I would assume a 600hp+ 2JZ requires a shitload more fuel flow than what the 5M system was designed to deal with!
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

Highly unlikely the fuel lines will cause a restriction - a sufficiently large pump will just jam the fuel down the lines at higher pressure. If I do run into problems with fuel delilvery I'll just use the return line as a second feed line, then run a new line for the return.

I'm considering the possibility of cutting the lines at the start of the tunnel and at the point after it leaves the tunnel, then re-connecting them with sections of braided hose. Can anyone see a major problem with this plan? It would be a shitload easier than replacing the hard lines altogether!

Major part of the cost of braided lines is the fittings though, if you went for a whole new line instead it might only be an extra $50 or so.

OK another update. The upper section of the tunnel around the shifter hole has been removed (read: butchered) so I now have a huge hole in the top of the tunnel which should allow plenty of room for the taller box to poke through. I was hoping that removing the section would make the tunnel flexible enough to be widened where it's fouling the box, but alas Toyota made the floorpan extremely rigid with thick sheet and lots of ribbing - it's just not going to move enough. Also there's no getting around it, the fuel and brake lines will have to be completely removed and new ones fabricated at a later date.

I'll upload some more photos tonight, the remains of the butchered upper tunnel are especially amusing. It's amazing what you can acheive with a drift, a chisel and an assortment of large hammers.

My mission for this week is to remove the fuel and brake lines (this will be messy) and strip the interior; I hoped I wouldn't have to do this, but there will be welding involved so the carpet and tar stuff on the floorpan will have to be removed. Next weekend it's out with the grinder and I'll be cutting slots on either side of the tunnel - this will be the only way to get it wide enough.

Once everything is sufficiently bent and the box is in place I'll weld steel plate over the gaps and hopefully it will be as strong as when it left the factory. I'm also thinking about bending some steel tube into a U shape and welding it over the tunnel fore and aft of the shifter - not sure if this is overkill though?

This project is starting to get messy, but realistically there was always going to be pain involved. I suppose this is the price you pay for doing something out of the ordinary.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Things like this make me glad i've not chosen such a torquey engine
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association