Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GUIDE timing belt and water pump replacement JZZ30 soarer 100K service

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Azzamk2's Avatar

Default Re: GUIDE timing belt and water pump replacement JZZ30 soarer 100K service

so i should put my harmonic balancer back on an set it to " 0 " even if the top marks dont line up and do it that way? and it will still be fine?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: GUIDE timing belt and water pump replacement JZZ30 soarer 100K service

curiously, have you marked the belt, and the 3 cogs or are you performing this operation slightly differently?
    the reason i ask because once you mark the belt and cogs, then replicate it for the new belt, everything 'should' go back the same as it came off.
    so it wouldn't really matter if either the cams were slightly off or the crank was off as your reference points are now the marks on the belt, not whether everything is at TDC.

IF something was out of alignment before you performed this, it will remain the same afterwards as well (ie. will still be out of alignment), but you would check that at the end once the new belt is on and tensioned and you rotate the crank 720 degees to see if everything DOES go back to 12 o clock.

just my thought.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

check the two cam marks are pointing straight up, check the raised keyway of the crank is pointing up, check the belt is tight between the cams, and tight between the left cam and the crank.

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

i always just set everything back to TDC and work from there rather then trying to go off where i had it

as i always end up bumping or moving the cogs and then it throws it all out.
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
    Yes rather helpful guide I must say. Just pulled the front of my 1j apart the other night.

Got a question though. The hydraulic tensioner. Do these often wear and need replacing? Is it usual to get a little slack in the timing belt when you turn it back a little anti clockwise? Just working out if I need to replace it now seeing as though its only $133 from toyota :S.

stidnam
    im with this guy,

do these need replacing at the 100k??

my 2j only has 78k but im doing this service while it is out....

you may also want to consider replacing the engine rubber mounts and cam cover seals also, at least inspect them for leaks/wear. they do seem to need replacing around now if they haven't already been.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Azzamk2's Avatar

i just did this to my 1j and yes i highly remmend doing the hydrolic tensioner now while its apart! mine was absolutely stuffed to the point it was barely tensioning the belt and my engine had 125,000km. and also good idea to do the cam cover seals they do leak pretty bad when they get hard due to age and heat.

due to me being poor/tight arse...

is there any reason why i cant use the hydro water pump without the hydro fan? as i dont have the factory fan set-up. will it effect the operation on the actual water pump at all without it being connected or having fluid in it?
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ae71 View Post
    due to me being poor/tight arse...

is there any reason why i cant use the hydro water pump without the hydro fan? as i dont have the factory fan set-up. will it effect the operation on the actual water pump at all without it being connected or having fluid in it?
    Loop fluid to it, don't run it dry.

No issues with doing that.

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

what type of fluid do you use? powersteering fluid?
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

wish i could give rep a second time for this thread!

on a slightly different note, can the front crank seal be replaced when this is all out or is that an entirely different job?
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

Default Re: timing belt and water pump replacement JZZ30 soarer 100K service

Quote Originally Posted by barned01 View Post

5.4 replace with new seal. I put a small bead of oil on the inside of the seal to assist lubrication when reinserting. Be sure to replace the seal square and flush with the face of the block.
    dude, what do you think this is??

lol
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

ahh yeah good spot.. shit didnt see that.. rep!+
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

no worries, sometimes i cant see for lookin either
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

<3 7M sludge pump

Forum Member

Just wanted to say a big thanks to you for this one mate, just did it on a jzx100 1jz vvti and your guide along with a little LED head lamp where the best bloody things I cold have had for the job made it a 100 times easier

Owe ya big time cheers.

Note: do you mind if I post a link to this on jzx100.com? sure there are a few guys there that would find this extremely handy

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1jz68u's Avatar

just started this on my supra 2jz, mostly the same, except my crank bolt WILL NOT F@$#ING move, tried cranking and everything. will try again in the morning.
    Glenn
    Current Ride http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41123
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    You do of course realize forgiveness is easier to gain than permission right???
    Cheers, Jason