Thread: ST162 - Installing Series 1 rear struts into a Series 2

cease striving Conversion King RobST162's Avatar

Default ST162 - Installing Series 1 rear struts into a Series 2

This is actually a very obvious 'conversion' for the rear struts in a 162, but hopefully it can be helpful for those of us with a Series 2 who wish to buy Series 1 struts/shocks.

This is really just a point of reference for those in the future who will be wondering. Yes, it can be done. The centers of the smaller (12mm dia) Series 1 and the larger (15mm dia) Series 2 strut bolts match, so all that needs doing is to widen the diameter by 3mm and you have Series 1 shocks that have miraculously become Series 2.

That's it! For all you curious types out there.

Here's what I did:

Step 1: Buy (preferably for a crazy price off eBay ) a set of nice Series 1 shocks, perhaps maybe, KYB.

Step 2: Buy a 15mm expensive drill bit for drilling the steel. Chances are they will not have 15mm but 19/32'' is only a few thou' off and worked perfectly for me. These are hard to find if you want to use it in a 13mm chuck (standard chuck) and you will probably need to visit a engineering/tool shop. I paid $50 for a nice bit from Total Power Tools in Castle Hill, NSW.

Step 3: Drill out holes on a press! DO NOT try it by hand. The rotational force from the drill bit on the steel nearly broke my wrist, and it isn't a clean hole anyway as it jumps around a bit. However, don't panic too much about locking the strut down. If you can get someone to support it, the drill will self center because of the existing holes.

Step 4: File off rough edges (I used a multi-tool/Dremel).

Step 5: If struts did not come like this, use a hacksaw and cut a slit/piece out of the brake line adapter so you don't have to bleed the brakes to install the struts.

Step 6: Spray new exposed shiny metal with rust inhibiting paint. I had gloss black here so everything was great and the job is very professional.

Pictures:

Comparison and specs

Finished product. Drilled, filed and sprayed.

serial biochemist Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: ST162 - Installing Series 1 rear struts into a Series 2

nice work Rob! I'm glad it's an easy swap, opens up the options a bit. Any idea's why they changed the bolt hole size? seems silly.
    your rep rating is not a reflection of your worth to the community

Quote Originally Posted by H1TMAN
    wtf? I want to do track racing, and f#@k you...
    that's very flattering but no thanks.

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

Yeah i came across this when transferring all of my original gear (s1) into my s2 model. And you're right about the kick from the drill. Even in a vice on a drop-down drill supported by 2 rather big guys it managed to twist and throw us around a bit. Worked well though. Nice write up Rob. Have u put your 185 coilover write up here yet?

cease striving Conversion King RobST162's Avatar

thx Stu...

haven't got the 185 write up yet.. I am still using my 15mm bolts in my 17mm strut holes! *eek*

I'm either going to buy some ST18* hubs or get my existing ones drilled out... The spacer thing ended up being too fiddly (ie, 1mm thickness spacers are very tricky to machine).

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

yeah i had thought about making some up on the lather but HSS is kinda hard to get down to that sorta size without some extremely presiscion equipment. Will the 185 hubs be a direct bolt on too? i suppose you could get a set of those quite easily now that you have spare rally parts flying out your ears.....