Thread: 2tg half moon rocker cover gasket

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 2tg half moon rocker cover gasket

Has anyone had any problems sealing the rocker cover on a 2tg.

There are 2 half moons behind each cam that complete the rocker cover gasket. I have tried sealing the engine twice now, and i keep getting a leak out of them. They and the rubber gasket is all brand new frome toyota.

Instead of pirteck sealant im using a locktight brand of gasket sealant. Still doesnt go hard, hopefully works.

Has anyone had this problem before??

Thanks
    Blake

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: 2tg half moon rocker cover gasket

I had that problem with 18RG, but never with new half moons. When I put the new half moons on a 22RE, it sealed fine with some sealant. Check for any nicks, deep scratches, or dents in the head casting around where the half moon goes, and sand them smooth. Otherwise, be reasonably liberal with the goo, especially on the corners of the half moons, and let it go off (semi set) before torquing. Are you using the silicone based sealant, or the non-silicone stuff?? I find in this particular case, the silicone gives me more success.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

yea, the locktight stuff is apparently silicone, but doents go completely hard. I will try letting it set for a few hours before i tighten it up.

Just to clarify???
    With no pcv valve attachet to the engine, I should have no problems with oil leaks at all??

Thanks
    Blake

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by auzzi_17
    Just to clarify???
    With no pcv valve attachet to the engine, I should have no problems with oil leaks at all??
    Hmm... no, with no Positive Crancase Ventilation valve, you will get oil coming into your combustion chamber through your rings, and you will pressurise the head, so you will increase your leaks.

PCV and Charcoal Canister are two items that should NEVER be disconnected. The charcoal canister vents the fuel tank, which will leak fuel out your fuel cap and onto your paint if you dont have it, and your PCV vents the crankcase, which will make oil go into many places you dont want it and cause premature engine failure if you dont have it.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hodgo's Avatar

I know this is no real help but I have to add.
    I once went to clark rubber and bought a bath tub/sink plug cut it in half while I waited for toyota to get some of those half moons in.............
    "A giant sheep will fall from the sky and save all you lucky people"

beautiful. Didnt even try the new sealant. Used permateck, works perfectly.

I bought 1 half moon from Toyota. I lost one while I was rebuilding.

But turns out, the one I bought, was too big. When i pulled it apart for the 3rd time. Put them side by side, and the new one was too large. So i took it to spectrum rubber(used to be peter jackson rubber) and had it linished to the right size.

Happy to say, passed my blue slip, and registered today. Will be posting in the members rides section.

Thank
    Blake