Thread: 18rg quad throttle big cams what ecu?

sus-023 Backyard Mechanic Slidin23's Avatar

Default 18rg quad throttle big cams what ecu?

hey guys i have an 18rg running 20r pistons going to be going custom quad throttles sweeped up so i can sit the motor back further and not foul on the brake booster.
    running some pretty big cams and mandrel bent exhaust and custom tuned length 4 into 1 extractors. . basically im setting it up for track work but i still want to drive it on the street sometimes. mainly hills and fun things.

what im wondering is what ecu would be best suited? im going to run the 1jz coil packs as im aware (will test today) these fit. will get the rocker cover modded so i can bolt these in.

there appears to be so much choice of ecu. i need a rev limiter which is almost standard on all ecus now. and also fan control im going to runn a thermo wideband seams to be a good option wouldnt mind having a play around with the tune when at the track and things like that to..
    what are people doing for map sensor tps on custom throttle set ups? im planning to run a quad throttle set up do i need to put a map sensor in each runner as im running complete seperate runners for each cyinder.

i want to keep the set up as basic and clean/neat as possible. i dont want wires and shit running everywhere. im after a resonable power number of 100kw which i feel is do able. i made 88kw with a shitty exhaust and carbs.

so what are people running? mega squirt adaptronic and haltec along with link all seam like good options. the link seams a bit silly for what i need though and the haltech is very pricy compared to the others.

thanks jake

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: 18rg quad throttle big cams what ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by Slidin23 View Post
    hey guys i have an 18rg running 20r pistons going to be going custom quad throttles sweeped up so i can sit the motor back further and not foul on the brake booster.
    running some pretty big cams and mandrel bent exhaust and custom tuned length 4 into 1 extractors. . basically im setting it up for track work but i still want to drive it on the street sometimes. mainly hills and fun things.

what im wondering is what ecu would be best suited? im going to run the 1jz coil packs as im aware (will test today) these fit. will get the rocker cover modded so i can bolt these in.

there appears to be so much choice of ecu. i need a rev limiter which is almost standard on all ecus now. and also fan control im going to runn a thermo wideband seams to be a good option wouldnt mind having a play around with the tune when at the track and things like that to..
    what are people doing for map sensor tps on custom throttle set ups? im planning to run a quad throttle set up do i need to put a map sensor in each runner as im running complete seperate runners for each cyinder.

i want to keep the set up as basic and clean/neat as possible. i dont want wires and shit running everywhere. im after a resonable power number of 100kw which i feel is do able. i made 88kw with a shitty exhaust and carbs.

so what are people running? mega squirt adaptronic and haltec along with link all seam like good options. the link seams a bit silly for what i need though and the haltech is very pricy compared to the others.

thanks jake
    talk to the person who is going to be tuning about what you want it and see what they recommend.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

they said haltech sprint 500 seams to be a good option. also said link and motech and megasquirt would work fine.

sooooo

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Adaptronic.
    Will do the general running of the engine (as they all will), but can also be made to do the suplimentary stuff that allows the system to be well integrated for both reliability, but also for ease of use/drivability (really speeking: idle speed ability).

Go with a good ECU and a find a decent tuner to work with (if you're not prepared to do the tuning yourself), rather than find out what a tuner is use to working with and doesn't want to deviate from...........
    Last edited by Duk; 27-11-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: I left the 'R' out of Adaptronic 'cause I've been overly influenced by cheesey American drivel............. Maybe ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

they said haltech sprint 500 seams to be a good option. also said link and motech and megasquirt would work fine.

sooooo
    get the sprint 500 then. just use a thermoswitch to control the fan unless you have a spare output on the ECU. you don't need to put a MAP sensor in each runner, but talk to your tuner to see if you need one at all.

you will need to work out crank position sensing too.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

thanks jake
    Can you post a photo since I'm interested in how your engine is currently setup

currently in the stage of putting the ke70 rack xmember in and mounting the engine. ill then be getting onto the throttles and other stuff. totatlly in the mock up stage now

currently in the stage of putting the ke70 rack xmember in and mounting the engine. ill then be getting onto the throttles and other stuff. totally in the mock up stage now
    This will be what I will be using on my 2TG build in a few weeks: That is why I was interested in what your setup was like.

Last edited by 73GTV; 01-12-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadsailing View Post
    get the sprint 500 then. just use a thermoswitch to control the fan unless you have a spare output on the ECU. you don't need to put a MAP sensor in each runner, but talk to your tuner to see if you need one at all.

you will need to work out crank position sensing too.
    The sprint does have 2 DPO outputs which can be used for thermo fan.
    But as i've found on my 18rgeu and sprint 500, the IAC (idle controllers around use PWM outputs) which the 500 does not have, only the 1000 and up.
    There are ways around it, but knowing it up front may help.
    Otherwise it is easy to install, plenty of info and the software is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman View Post
    But as i've found on my 18rgeu and sprint 500, the IAC (idle controllers around use PWM outputs) which the 500 does not have, only the 1000 and up.
    thats the answer i was looking for! thank you very much.

how did you go about running cam and crank sensors? i was talking to the guys at haltech and they sugested i look at putting them in the distributor.. has anyone done this? or did you just put a gear on the crank? apparently both cam and crank sensor is needed this is why he sugetsed this.

73gtv

those extractors look excatly like what i was thinking. after researching the 4-2-1 and the 4-1 extractors the reason they use the 4-1 is for big cams as it gives an increase higher in the revs where as the other ones are a mild increse over the whole rev range. interesting when you look it up.

the inlet manifold im looking into building will be a much more smaller package. im even considering running no brake booster. just so i can make more room there.. i useto have a galant years ago that didnt have power brakes and it was fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman View Post

how did you go about running cam and crank sensors? i was talking to the guys at haltech and they sugested i look at putting them in the distributor.. has anyone done this? or did you just put a gear on the crank? apparently both cam and crank sensor is needed this is why he sugetsed this.

73gtv

those extractors look excatly like what i was thinking. after researching the 4-2-1 and the 4-1 extractors the reason they use the 4-1 is for big cams as it gives an increase higher in the revs where as the other ones are a mild increse over the whole rev range. interesting when you look it up.

the inlet manifold im looking into building will be a much more smaller package. im even considering running no brake booster. just so i can make more room there.. i useto have a galant years ago that didnt have power brakes and it was fine!

73gtv

those extractors look exactly like what i was thinking. after researching the 4-2-1 and the 4-1 extractors the reason they use the 4-1 is for big cams as it gives an increase higher in the revs where as the other ones are a mild increase over the whole rev range. interesting when you look it up.

the inlet manifold I'm looking into building will be a much more smaller package. I'm even considering running no brake booster. just so i can make more room there.. i use to have a Galant years ago that didn't have power brakes and it was fine!
    Something like these?

This is what you need to build!
    Last edited by 73GTV; 02-12-2015 at 04:40 PM.

I posted that last picture to give the best example of what 1970 tech looked like and to pose the question, are we yet up to the level we need to be to surpass this milestone? A lot of talent went into creating this engine and we all have been chasing some version of it within each our builds. Who can make that header, who can make a better intake manifold. I'm just throwing that up in the air. Who can take that next step that we have not achieved as of yet?

That exhaust and intake set up is EXACTLY what im going to do in my car.

im not going for huge power numbers. im just after something that people pop the bonnet and go holyfuck the rest of the engine bay will be tidyed up and put back to stock to. rewiring the whole engine side and stuff. should be a tidy set up.

but i will be pushing the motor on the track.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

i used the dizzy for a Home signal only. By chopping off 3 of the lugs.
    With the crank, im using a temporary aluminium ring around the crank with magnets for Hall effect sensor as a trigger. Seems to work fine.
    But will change to machining/welding a toothed trigger wheel with VR sensor soon. As most people go this way with good results.
    Last edited by Omegaman; 14-12-2015 at 04:58 PM.