Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7age: how to?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 7age: how to?

Hi. I have had a search through the forum and have found lots of information on the 7age. But i was just wondering if anyone has done a complete start to finish guide on how to build one?

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: 7age: how to?

Yeah, ill be doing one soonish, similar to my C/P/H guide.
    There are a couple of disjointed ones elsewhere too.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Cool, cant wait.

I found this

http://www.aeu86.org/Writeup/Engine/.../55/index.html

but during my search i saw that a few guys said there were some issues with this

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

There is nothing in that link about whether the standard engine mounts still bolt up..so I assume they do? Does anyone have any experience? Is it truly bolt in (once you've swapped the head)?
    Cheers, Nick
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

I doubt it. Although it could be.
    I know that the CR is poo when the stock 7A bottom end is used and thats why you dont get so much power up high.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

This is really interesting,it doesnt seem to out of reach for someone who are still learning how to pull engines down either..Has anyone ever turbo'd one of these?

mmmm very interesting..

I look forward to your write up Takai..

Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

CR poo = turbo CR?
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

problem also is that 7A rods are weak as piss, they DO NOT like revs
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Yeah, sorry about the brevity of my last response, was rushing off to the IPRA meeting. The stock 4A rods make them look like small toothpicks, although im guessing any half competent rod maker could make you some custom (read: stronger) rods.

The compresion ratio (CR) is decidedly uninspiring when using the stock pistons, although that can be fixed by using the 4AG pistons with varying final CRs. Ill post more on that later.

As for the strength of the thing, one indication to look at is Lofty making a sizable chunk of power out of a bored 7AGE 20v. He is rivalling Hislop for speed around EC and Wakefield.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Yeah, sorry about the brevity of my last response, was rushing off to the IPRA meeting. The stock 4A rods make them look like small toothpicks, although im guessing any half competent rod maker could make you some custom (read: stronger) rods.

The compresion ratio (CR) is decidedly uninspiring when using the stock pistons, although that can be fixed by using the 4AG pistons with varying final CRs. Ill post more on that later.

As for the strength of the thing, one indication to look at is Lofty making a sizable chunk of power out of a bored 7AGE 20v. He is rivalling Hislop for speed around EC and Wakefield.
    You will have to fix that compression with some boost m8

Im very keen for this write up too. I have herd varying info of exactly whats needs to be modified to do this conversion.

RICEBURNER : There is apparently a guy in nz with a turbo one making over 300rwkw with one. - Im yet to see photos or proof yet though.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    RICEBURNER : There is apparently a guy in nz with a turbo one making over 300rwkw with one. - Im yet to see photos or proof yet though.
    There's a 20V 7AGTE AE92 Levin on Twincam from NZ, and there's a whole thread of photos and proof. 330fwkw @ 27psi, is seriously modded though

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18070
    Warning, TC.org often goes down due to shitty server troubles, just keep trying until it goes through
    Last edited by Hiro; 23-10-2006 at 11:26 PM.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    I doubt it. Although it could be.
    I know that the CR is poo when the stock 7A bottom end is used and thats why you dont get so much power up high.
    No, the reason you don't get more power up high is because the power is limited by the head flow. If your head only flows enough air for 200hp, it doesn't matter what capacity it is, it will only make 200hp. A bigger capacity motor will just do it at lower revs.
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

True Ben, but the 8.4:1 CR doesnt exactly help the situation with not having power. Sure it has more power than a 4AGE but due to the extended stroke it doesnt like to rev (without breaking rods) and then it doesnt make power up high. Even if the 4A head outflows it by a large ratio.

Although i guess i kind of linked low-CR with no power high in the rev range, which is untrue. My brain was fried last night.with onion too

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

High compression will help top end power if your engine isn't breathing well enough (inlet restrictor, or dodgy ports/small valves etc). At high revs, you're actually getting less air than you'd like into the engine so higher compression allows you to make the most of what you've got.
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

are the 7a rods really that bad? can they be shot peened and handle a gze/gte situation?. ive just got a mate whos thinking about building one for his ae92