Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7age: how to?

86 slut Grease Monkey

Default Re: 7age: how to?

Quote Originally Posted by Big T
    I have a mate building a 7age at the moment. He's also got a set of ARGO rods for it so they may be an off the shelf item with the amount of people looking at this setup. Will ask him next time i see him. They're BEEFY rods... way way chunkier than the Crower 4a rods i have.

And i agree with Takai... the stock rods will break no matter how much you prep them.

Eddie.
    the guy who owns that engine is a right twit lol
    2 years in the making
    believes turbos on ae86s are the work of satan

people keep this info shit coming in as it will help in the future

back into it Chief Engine Builder

all im going to say is, the best ones in australia cost around $15k and there is only a couple of people that know how to build them properly in this country.
    The basic recipe isnt hard, but its very hard to have the high HP ones that last!
    A cheap good way to do it is, Argo rods and acl pistons etc and oversize the 4ag valves and work the hell out of the head,with good springs, good buckets and keep the limit under 8000rpm.
    I have given many hints away as to what the top one in the country has in it {search for it}but i got in trouble for giving hints or as was said teasing so you will have to search for the info!!!!
    Loftus wouldnt be close to the HP that can be had for an engine that will last as i know exactly what every big 7a is making.

I will ask this, what is the point in telling anyone one on here how to make a good one when they are not going to spend the $15k to do the work thats needed to make the power? I can tell you how to make 700hp out of a 6 litre chev, but whom is going to spend the $80k!!!!!
    But then again, it would be good to just know so some people can just tell there friends that will never use it

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmk3
    i understand the rods are crap...and nothing near the 4age rod size, but would they stand up to 200HP? 250HP? in a 7agte? being shot peened, balanced, with new rod bolts?
    I forgot to bring them in, but I got some pictures of some stock rods on the weekend. They don't inspire much in the way of confidence...
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson
    I forgot to bring them in, but I got some pictures of some stock rods on the weekend. They don't inspire much in the way of confidence...
    I've been spending the past few weeks modelling and analysing the stock 7A rods, and I agree that don't inspire much confidence at all.....pissy little rod bolts, thin neck...set it next to an ARGO one and the difference (and strength) is immediately obvious
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Hmm, shoudl be interesting running in this 7AGE of mine then, what sort of redline do the 7AFEs normally run?
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    what sort of redline do the 7AFEs normally run?
    6250, according to the tacho, but it can be taken a little bit higher.......not much though, and it's basically all over at just after 6 grand anyway

Thats enough to get an AE102 to 200km/h though...
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Interesting, i thought it was more like 7000rpm. Ill probably set my redline there, because with 11.3:1 and the smallport head it shouldnt get as breathless up top.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro
    I've been spending the past few weeks modelling and analysing the stock 7A rods, and I agree that don't inspire much confidence at all.....pissy little rod bolts, thin neck...set it next to an ARGO one and the difference (and strength) is immediately obvious
    It was the thin neck which scared me - They look very light, perfect for what they were designed for, just lousy for a performance application...

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

I shouldn't be letting secrets out, but for the next 12hour race in Malaysia we may be running a 7AFE in one of the cars. It'll be limited to 7200rpm for the full 12 hours.
    It's got totally stock rods, and brand new Toyota rod bolts.

So Bill, you wouldnt blink too much at running 7000rpm in a 7AFE?

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    So Bill, you wouldnt blink too much at running 7000rpm in a 7AFE?

Not at all. If it were a road engine that only gets a blast a few times a day, I'd be happy to run 7500rpm. Just make sure to crack test the rods and always use new bolts. The bolts are fine, they're just stretch bolts so can only be used the once.

Interesting..... crack testing will be a pain, although i guess ill find a way of getting it done.

Some pics:

7A

4AG

7A

4AG

Note - These are AE82 4AG rods, later ones are chunkier...

Remember that because of the longer stroke, the 7A rods are under higher load as well...

Eeep, that is a fair difference, especially in crossection. I wonder if part of the difference has to do with how over-engineered the 4A rods are?

I'd be looking for some really light pistons....