Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1983 Crown + 7m-gte 5 speed good or bad idea?

Slanted Photographer Automotive Encyclopaedia LeaThaL's Avatar

Default 1983 Crown + 7m-gte 5 speed good or bad idea?

hey guys, i got my old MS123 crown here with the factory 5m in it and auto (Duhh ) and i got a dead torque converter in it so i was thinking if i can get a hold of a old 7m-gte and 5 speed from someone and thew it in there i'd wonder how'd i go (seeing id stick a new head gasket in there and LSD asap) would it be alot of work apart from getting in the engine and would an old soarer pedal assembly also fit with a little moding

cheers

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: 1983 Crown + 7m-gte 5 speed good or bad idea?

Great idea. No idea what pedal assembly...maybe MA61.

well i know of a wreckers that has a ms123 in the yard, i should just go down one day, strip the floor and go thru a few pedals and see but yeah i love the pimp factor of the crown and its a nice ride but i want faster and it seems the 7m's a little cheaper than the 1uz idea ATM

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Do it

Cheers
    Wilbo

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

awesome idea if there is pics

black paint, whitewall tires, wicked
    beer me!

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

I reckon it would be pretty cool it should all go in with little issue. Biggest issue would be wiring, Possibly tail shaft and g/b x member changes to.

F series LSD's are easy to get and have installed.

Also the later crowns have a little more room up the front than the earlier ones for things like FMIC and tans coolers etc.

MAybe look at a MS65/85 pedal box. Not sure if one would fit but it they could be an option. The crowns seem to be all very similar in the fire wall construction.

Its great fun take that from a 7MGTE Crown owner
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

From this thread I have assumed that the 5M series engine, is much like the 7m, in that it can be bolted in place using the same engine mounts etc.

Without meaning to hi-jack the thread why dont people put 7ms into Cressidas? Didnt they come with the 5M also? I know that the 1J is a more popular engine but surley the ol 7mGTE can hold its own, plus it would be much easier to drop in?
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

yeah man your right you got the right idea, im no expert but when its somethink like that, sure its easy stickin in a 7m in one but its basicly like thinking "well i can have either this corolla or this lambogini, sure the rollas are totaly madd and everyone loves them, why not just go the extra step, plus from what i know, its better to go a 1jz/2jz for stock power, strenght and moddability, but thats just how i see it, i'd go a jz in the pimp but its just more conveient to stick in the 7m, but thinking about it, if the jz's werent so big popular and getting cheaper thered be more 7mgte'd cressies but yeah, thats enought of a rant

back on track thinking about it am i best to totaly strip everthing from the front end and try get a whole 7m halfcut (supra/soarer/etc) to see if the xmembers and shit line up or should i just dump it in and see what fits? im not really sure is all

People fit 1JZGTEs simply because they are the new hotness. 7MGTEs are the old lameness.

No interest in starting a flame war - they both can make excellent power. 7Ms are however at least 14 - 15 years old, and there is that little problem of the head gasket which wards everyone off. However, they're very convenient when repowering older M powered vehicles.

lol yeah thats something i forgot to add but hey, age = money and it goes both up and down for new and old

and something id ask out to the 7m boys, am i best stickin with the stock turbo/manifold and just put in a metal head gasket or go the gasket and get a new manifold to draw away some of the heat and plus heat wrap it or what?

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Manifold hasn't really got anything to do with h/g issues.

depending on how hard you drive your care, how the head is tourqued down, if you have head studs, if you let it warm up cool down have way more to do with it than the turbo manifolds.

I have just blown my h'g but i think this was more due to the car being stolen than anything else, however I will be replacing it with a metal one. Some others don't have any issues with stock gaskets but there are many threads on that.
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

really? i thought that HG probs were from the manifold heating up beside the gasket causing it to warp/melt/tear, well thats what ive heard about the NA 7ms and i just guessed thats what happened with the turbo models but even then im not one to trash a cold turbo or just shut off a hot one, a mate did that to his charade and killed the HG and turbo but mine ran like a dream thanks to proper driving and shit /end rant...

Probably a multitude of factors contribute.

If you engage in a rebuild, best bet is to deck the block.

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

The head gasket is any easy fix, as soon as you get a 7M just torque the head down and get a good HG set, shouldnt be a problem after that.
    Now targeting, people who are now targeting!!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suss_slide
    The head gasket is any easy fix, as soon as you get a 7M just torque the head down and get a good HG set, shouldnt be a problem after that.
    This helps but is by no means a silver bullet. Plenty of people have done the above and still blown a headgasket, in some cases several times!