Thread: 1Y HILUX ENGINE and GEARBOX INFO PLEASE !!!

Banned 1st year Apprentice quicknissan's Avatar

Default 1Y HILUX ENGINE and GEARBOX INFO PLEASE !!!

Hey guys i have just bought a 1986 2wd Hilux that has a 1Y engine (1.6L) and column shift 4 speed manual.

I know nothing at all about this engine, and would appreciate any ideas to make it go better.
    First question is, what 5 speed gearbox can I put behind it ? my mate has a 1987 hilux with 3Y (2 litre) and he has a 5 speed box behind it.)
    So yeah, what 5 speed box will bolt straight up and how much do they cost.

Second question is can i buy a manifold so I can put a webber (or twin carbies) on this engine. If so, are they hard to come by and how much.

Third question is can i put a higher ratio diff in this thing as it seriously needs one. Once again how much an are they hard to find.

Thanks so much for your help guys I really appreciate any info you can tell me.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: 1Y HILUX ENGINE and GEARBOX INFO PLEASE !!!

My opinion is that all Y series engines are boat anchors. Trying to make a 1Y any better is very similar to polishing a turd.

I have just converted a 3Y-C van to 4Y-E and it is fairly much a bolt for bolt swap. 3Y gearbox (G52??) and flywheel bolted to 4Y, 3Y sump fitted 4Y, mounts matched etc.

So if you really want it to go better get yourself a 4Y and 5 speed box and bolt it all in.

I also know Toyospares in Melbourne do EFI kits for 3/4Y's using factory parts. Give them a call on (03) 9720 3177 for details.

As for the diff, check what series diff it is (E, F or G at a guess). Then find the ratio you want to suit that series, bolt in the new crown and pinion* and you're all good.

Hen

* setting backlash conveniently glossed over here
    Last edited by Hen; 18-10-2006 at 11:17 PM. Reason: I iz 2 1337 4 d4 sp331ing y0!!!!!!!!!!11oneoneone